Tempting fate - next year

Liam Liam Liam O
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

accidentally voted no.  Anyone who says they will be disappointed with 17th wants to fuck off and support someone else.

You say that now, but wait until this time next year and the tune will have changed.

:sadnod:

Things change, situations change, but right this very moment we should all be happy with 17th.

accidentally voted no.  Anyone who says they will be disappointed with 17th wants to fuck off and support someone else.

why?

'Cos it's depressing reading the southerners perception of a geordie stereotype "Waa fukkin mint man, wi should win every gayme 6 nowt." and in any case, Ashley and Llambias have said they are aiming for no more, so why should we expect anything else?

The real question is, if we stay up but play s*** football is that acceptable?

Getting points on the board wise we are exceeding expectations this season but a lot don't seem to be very happy.

It's a different situation. In the PL, we're not at that standard so all points are welcomed. In the Championship, we're good enough to dominate most of the teams and have failed to on several occaisons.

If we play utter crap next season and scrape 17th, I'll be delighted.

Guest Brummiemag

Aslong as we stay up, I dont care how we play, id even go as far as saying id prefer fat Sams hoof it approach if it meant we stayed up.

It goes to show just how much Ashley has managed to lower expectations.

I would rather get relegated trying to play football than spend next season and the season after scraping around for bore draws and for enough points to stay up with a Sam hoof it approach.

Fucking hell thats not what Newcastle are about

Too many ifs and buts could change my opinion on it. 

IF we keep Hughton and IF we don't invest well in players, then yes.  We should be happy with 17th place on goal difference. 

Move that finish up a few notches IF we replace Hughton and/or IF we flesh out the squad with quality. 

Being the eternal optimist/brain damaged manchild that I am, I went ahead and voted "No" in the hopes he'll be replaced and Ashley will put up £10m for players, before any sales. 

Aslong as we stay up, I dont care how we play, id even go as far as saying id prefer fat Sams hoof it approach if it meant we stayed up.

I would rather get relegated trying to play football than spend next season and the season after scraping around for bore draws and for enough points to stay up with a Sam hoof it approach.

You would rather we became a 'yo-yo' club, than stay in the Premiership by any means possible?

Guest Brummiemag

You would rather we became a 'yo-yo' club, than stay in the Premiership by any means possible?

I don't want to see Newcastle stay in the Premiership by any means possible for example I dont want us to become a Stoke or a Bolton Wanderers. I want us to try and play good football and see what happens and if we get relegated then so be it.

Put it like this, I would rather be a WBA fan than a Bolton fan. So the answer to your question is Yes

I don't want to see Newcastle stay in the Premiership by any means possible for example I dont want us to become a Stoke or a Bolton Wanderers. I want us to try and play good football and see what happens and if we get relegated then so be it.

Oh, so you're the guy who would rather lose 3-4 than win 1-0?

I think we should aim to finish around 12th optimistically, but if we can stay up that's the main objective. I believe we will surprise a few cynics on here though, I think we might not struggle as much as the doom mongers are predicting.

Guest malandro

f***ing hell thats not what Newcastle are about

It’s a tough choice. The problem with staying up the negative way is you end up buying players that suit that approach, or rather you will if it’s going to work. This is all well and good for a while but it offers no basis for building a team that can compete at the top end of the table, and supporters are always looking to progress and get pissed off with watching a drab football team just avoid relegation year in year out and attendances start to decline.

For me this is the difference between our last two promotion teams and the current contenders. Keegan and Cox were building for the future, Hughton doesn’t want look beyond the end of the season. 

Guest Brummiemag

One things for sure, if Keegan was our Manager now he would not be looking to stay up "by any means possible".  He would be attempting to win every game by playing attacking football and for me thats what its all about. 

Guest Brummiemag

FWIW, I would accept crap football for next season only, just aslong as we stay up.

Fair enough but some teams have spent the last 10 years in that division staying up by any means possible. Theres no reason to assume it would be any different the following year or the year after that.

Guest malandro

FWIW, I would accept crap football for next season only, just aslong as we stay up.

That’s the point though. Building a good footballing team takes time. It’s virtually impossible to change form a negative style of play to positive one from one season to the next, unless huge sums of money are invested in new recruits.

Guest Stephen927

One things for sure, if Keegan was our Manager now he would not be looking to stay up "by any means possible".   He would be attempting to win every game by playing attacking football and for me thats what its all about. 

Depends on the quality of the team. Mowbray tried this with West Brom and it didn't go well at all.

Fair enough but some teams have spent the last 10 years in that division staying up by any means possible. Theres no reason to assume it would be any different the following year or the year after that.

The longer we're back in the division the better it will be for us.  We've lost a fortune this season and that will take time to get over.  We'll not manage that in 1 season, it might take a couple.

One things for sure, if Keegan was our Manager now he would not be looking to stay up "by any means possible".   He would be attempting to win every game by playing attacking football and for me thats what its all about. 

Depends on the quality of the team. Mowbray tried this with West Brom and it didn't go well at all.

Keegan might like to play attacking football but he's not naive enough to think you can do it successfully without quality players. How many clubs in English football could guarantee him the funds he'd want to sign them in the current financial climate?

Guest malandro

The longer we're back in the division the better it will be for us.  We've lost a fortune this season and that will take time to get over.  We'll not manage that in 1 season, it might take a couple.

More like ten years if Ashley uses any profits we make to start paying off his loans.