Sunderland...

Heron

To think, we could have had him, prob. instead of Ambrose.

not how i remember it. the deal was agreed but he didn't want to move as he thought we were too big for him at that point in his career.

I thought it was more to do with our take-the-piss offer at the time.

ipswich agreed the deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/ipswich_town/2960088.stm

?

I remember a lot of people kicking off at the time SBR was only signing players from Ipswich.

Guest neesy111

I don't think Bramble was bad business at all *tin hat on*

£5M for a defender from a team with a shocking defensive record who'd just been relegated.  Still should of signed Distin.

£5M for a defender from a team with a shocking defensive record who'd just been relegated.  Still should of signed Distin.

dont judge the player by his teams record

Judge him by the 10-15 fuk ups that season which helped them get relegated.

He was canny when they first came up, looked a prospect, shame he never came close to filling his potential. Thick fuker.

Guest neesy111

He was canny when they first came up, looked a prospect, shame he never came close to filling his potential. Thick fuker.

Aye, he was the reason they went down that season.  He was fucking awful.  Bobby I think only signed him to help out Ipswich as they needed the money and we needing a defender after the fiasco of the Bramble transfer.

Guest Chubby Jason

He was unbelievably shit... the amount of mistakes me made almost seemed as if he made them on purpose. Fucking shit defender.

Aye, he was the reason they went down that season.  He was fucking awful.  Bobby I think only signed him to help out Ipswich as they needed the money and we needing a defender after the fiasco of the Bramble transfer.

We are talking about the Bramble transfer aye? If so...

Na, he'd never do that to us, Bobby believed 150% in him and thought he could train him in to a top CB. His physical side was perfect, you couldn't mould a better CB, also on his day a top tackler and header of the ball, but as we know it was the entire mental aspect of his game that didn't develop, footballers are supposed to be stupid but Bramble has shown he's another level in that respect. There were some breakthroughs but by then he was a joke to most teams and the fans had had enough.

He's still a liability now, but a hell of a better player than anything we had. Mentally he's a 22 year old CB, it has taken him that long to be playable.

Whatever anyone's views about our dear friends on Wearside, you have to give credit where its due.

They kept going against Arsenal and got a result, even though the officials were clearly at fault in allowing the game to go beyond its true time scale ; teams can only do their best to get results, and officials adding time on is not the players' faults.

They got a good result at Liverpool yesterday even after a highly controversial Kuyt goal put the Merseysiders

in front - Bent scored two goals, and he is doing well for them ; he would have been an asset at SJP...

It will be very interesting when we play them and this is probably one of the most even Derbies for years ;

it could go either way.

Yep, they're often grinding out a result and have picked up points where you might have expected them to lose. The harder the opposition is the more determined they seem to be, a good attitiude and one I'd rather they didn't have come derby day.

he got them relegated, what bullshit!

I judge him by what he did for us and despite his comical fuck ups he wasn't nearly as bad as people made out for the majority of the team. The season we went out to PSV? He and Dyer were big losses. £4.5m was value for money all things considered imo (especially looking at some of our other purchases).

Even though Distin turned us down?

STEVE BRUCE is furious that the performance of referee Stuart Attwell will overshadow his side’s battling display in a 2-2 draw at Anfield.

Attwell infuriated the Sunderland manager and his players by allowing Liverpool’s bizarre fifth-minute goal, after a phantom free-kick which Michael Turner was controversially adjudged to have taken when he was in fact returning the ball to where the offence took place for goalkeeper Simon Mignolet to take.

Fernando Torres ran through with the ball and squared for Dirk Kuyt to score, but Bruce chose his words carefully to avoid incurring the wrath of the FA for the second time this season.

He said: “If Michael Turner had taken the free-kick from where the ball was, it was 25 yards from where the incident had happened. I think everybody in the ground realised that, too.

“Maybe in the past a Liverpool team might have come back and said it was a bit unfair, a bit unsportsmanlike – I doubt it though! To be fair to the referee, I don’t think he saw it. He put his whistle to his lips three times. I think everybody in the ground – bar nobody – knew that Michael Turner hadn’t taken the free-kick.

“But I’ve paid enough fines over the last six months, and I’ve been accused of being a whinger, so I don’t want to say anything else.

“If he’s in doubt, then he should have had the free-kick taken in the right position – then we wouldn’t be talking about this crazy goal. We would then be talking about our performance, which was terrific.

“After that, the way the team performed, I couldn’t fault them.

“We should be talking about a Sunderland win but instead we are talking about the performance of the referee. It is a shame.

“But it’s the second time something like this has happened to me. It happened when I was Sheffield United manager and we played Arsenal in the cup a few years ago. We expected them to throw the ball back to our keeper but it was taken to Marc Overmars, he ran down the wing and crossed it and they scored.

“We were given a replay for that - I don’t want a replay at Anfield though!”

Darren Bent then struck twice – the first a penalty – to put Sunderland in the driving seat before Steven Gerrard spared Liverpool’s blushes with an equaliser on 64 minutes.

Attwell further annoyed Bruce by turning down a strong penalty appeal at the start of the second half when Danny Welbeck was flattened by Pepe Reina, and the hapless official also failed to send off Gerrard for a blatant elbow on Welbeck 15 minutes from time.

Bruce said: “I know if it had been Lee Cattermole, he would have been sent off.

“I thought there was a penalty in there, too.

“There were enough incidents in there to fill a newspaper two times over!”

Read the above this morning in the paper version & thought it was ironic that he said that half way through.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/sunderland-afc/2010/09/26/steve-bruce-furious-at-referee-stuart-attwell-s-display-79310-27342781/