You're Mike Ashley - what do you do?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where I think Hughton has played it just right is he's never acted flash. Most managers by this stage would have acquired a bit of a public swagger, but he's been relentlessly downbeat. If he stays that way, he should be able to carry the dressing room with him.

The downside being though that it's that swagger that projects itself onto players.

No one has more swagger that Jose Mourinho and its that self confidence that helped his Chelsea teams go out onto the pitch every week thinking they were unbeatable.

EDIT : I'm not comparing Hughton to Mourinho :thup:

We have to give him a chane - what message does it send out to players and other managers if we sack a manager that has just got us promoted, set a new record for clean sheets in a season etc - all on the back of what was probably the biggest joke of a season by any club in the premiership ever.

Now, if after 2-3 months, things are not looking good Ashley has to be decisive and get in a new manager, and one that is up to the task and not some relic who has not been in the game for over 5 years.

This is probably the most balanced comment on this subject - unless Ashley has a secret  deal made with Mourinho(highly unlikely), there is little point in getting rid of Hughton right now because it would destroy what little credibility the club has managed to build back up over this season.

Ashley DOES have a difficult choice though because if he fails to back Hughton in the transfer market with substantial funds, people will be able to say that any bad results are the result of that and not Hughton's management ; there again, if he DOES back the manager and it all goes pear-shaped he is faced with getting in an experienced guy without a budget to offer him, and we cannot afford to be relegated again.

If I was the Chairman, I would want to see the names of the players Hughton wants to bring in before June - if the players look to have potential or can fill some of the undoubted gaps in the side for the Prem, then I would back his judgment and that is all Ashley can realistically do - if he doesn't trust Hughton's judgment then he has to get rid...simple as that.

The main worry I have is that Hughton may be too close to some of the players and that can't be allowed to happen - as has been said before, the Richard Dinnis appointment came as a result of player power.

When the club goes to the Prem, it has to be understood that everyone starts from square one, including those on the so-called 'committee'.

me?

I'd give Hughton a 1 year incentivised contract paying out if we finish above 14th and an unbelievable amount if he actually won anything

Get rid of one or two of the expensive players - Butt especially - I might keep Smith if only to play against the likes of Stoke & Birmingham where he wouldn't be intimidated

Buy a play maker, another CH and a destructive mid fielder - around £ 10 mm each; maybe take a punt on a young lower league goal scorer as well

Keep my mouth shut and never ever wear black & white again

Fire Lambias

Could you imagine the media ho-ha if we sacked him after a successful season??

He had a poor stint as caretaker manager in the Premiership, whilst this should not be forgotten he was an out and out novice then dealing with someone elses team and someone elses problems, that he did not have direct control of, he was also caught in limbo knowing that it was very unlikely he would get the job.

This time around he has more experience, he has built a team he is comfortably with and he is the one dealing with the problems. I think the man has earned a crack at the Premiership next season. With the right funds coming in I believe he will use them wisely, so far his only real flop being Leon Best and because of McLovens run and Carrolls run and now Shola back in the goals it hasn't been a problem. My biggest reservation at this stage is can he make the big decisions? At this point in time Nolan is NOT a premiership standard midfielder, if he is in the same state of fitness in August will the manager pick better more able players?

We could go and get a big name manager - Gianfranco Zola, Steve McClaren are they up to the job of getting us challenging for Europe eventually?? Or an experience manager like - Allardyce, those types have failed with us before. That being said I was using the same excuses when Roeder was give the job full time.

Its a gamble keeping Hughton and a gamble changing him, I think it is less of a gamble keeping hold of what we got, with decent investment and players bought in the right areas I believe we can stay up next season and that will be massive, it will give us a foundation to push on and establish ourselves as a Premiership team again rather than the promoted team, that in turn could help us attract a better calibre of player.

Guest Phil K

Mark Hughes ? ? ?

Thank you, NO.

B*gger off in fact.

Prefer Hughton, personally. If the alternative is Hughes.

Actually a good idea this thread - in essence, stop complaining and tell us where YOU would do any different.

Merlin

The situation with Hughton now is vastly different to the Richard Dinnis appointment. I remember very well, the three local lads, speaking to the press and pushing Dinnis's name but there has not been a hint of this type of anarchy this time around. No mention of player strikes etc etc etc.

Furthermore, Dinnis was caretaker at the time and Hughton is an appointed manager receiving considerable backing in the media from  his players for a job well done.

Merlin

The situation with Hughton now is vastly different to the Richard Dinnis appointment. I remember very well, the three local lads, speaking to the press and pushing Dinnis's name but there has not been a hint of this type of anarchy this time around. No mention of player strikes etc etc etc.

Furthermore, Dinnis was caretaker at the time and Hughton is an appointed manager receiving considerable backing in the media from  his players for a job well done.

Macca

The situation is not totally different ; Dinnis was Gordon Lee's coach and Lee was poached by Everton in January 1977, just as NUFC were in the running for a UEFA place after reaching Wembley under Lee the previous season.

Whatever Lee's faults he had succeeded in motivating the side to exceed expectations over 2 seasons and the players were in favour of keeping Dinnis as his replacement. It wasn't only local lads who wanted Dinnis either because Geoff Nulty and Alan Gowling(as well as Tommy Craig)were vocal in his support.

Lee left because he was unhappy with the support he had received from the board after selling Macdonald to Arsenal, and stated that he thought the next manager would have to be 'a pretty strange kind of guy'

(which we eventually got when McGarry arrived!).

However, faced with unrest the board backed down and appointed Dinnis - they also bought a player (from Hibs, Ralph Callachan)just as Wise & co did by taking over transfers before KK walked out - so they took the easy option just as Ashley did with Hughton.

OK, so Hughton has succeeded in getting promoted whereas Dinnis got Newcastle relegated, but there is no certainty that Hughton will do any better in the Prem than Dinnis did in the top league simply because his players 'like' him. OK, maybe there haven't been players giving as vocal support in the Press as they did for Dinnis, but the existence of a so-called 'Committee' and the fact that Nolan was so free with his comments about the manager indicates that the players feel they can discuss such matters freely - would you get Arsenal or Man U players talking about Wenger or SAF so openly ? I doubt it....

What I(and any reasonable person on here)am saying is that we just DON'T KNOW if Hughton can do it in the Prem ; he is not proven there just as Dinnis wasn't, but hopefully, he WILL be given a decent transfer fund to back his attempts to keep the club up....if he does get the money and we stay up, all well & good - if we struggle badly, then he will be judged as any other manager would be.

Going back to the original thread....what would I do if I were MA? I'll put the club up for sale and leave this football thingy for good. I had my day in the sun and with Toon back to Premier league, I should be able to get a reasonable price. No more headache and fans' distaste and anger. Who cares who the next owner wants to appoint as manager or buy or sell which players.

Guest firetotheworks

It's hard to choose without knowing the budget. But I think at the very, very least we need a 10 million-ish striker, 6 million-ish midfielder, 6 million-ish defender. With other money spent on young players in the Bassong mould.

In an ideal world

Striker (Cant think who)

Eagles/Bullard

Upson

Perch/Hutton

+ a few unknowns

Butt

Simpson (wont happen)

Best

Pancrate

+ The youth players showing no improvement

I like Hughton. I think he has to be given the chance in the Premier League. You can throw any excuse you like at it

- We already had premier league players

- He just had to motivate them etc etc

However he has organised us into a more effective unit than we have been for years, We seem more resolute and although its a lower league you can't underestimate the job he has done when every team in this league see us as a massive scalp for them. To lose 4 games all season and be promoted with 6/5 games left is great. Hopefully Ashley releases enough money for Hughton to work with and Hughton knows where we must improve. This for me is a striker, Centre midfielder, right back and cover for the wings at least

Merlin

Macca

The situation is not totally different ; Dinnis was Gordon Lee's coach and Lee was poached by Everton in January 1977, just as NUFC were in the running for a UEFA place after reaching Wembley under Lee the previous season.

Whatever Lee's faults he had succeeded in motivating the side to exceed expectations over 2 seasons and the players were in favour of keeping Dinnis as his replacement. It wasn't only local lads who wanted Dinnis either because Geoff Nulty and Alan Gowling(as well as Tommy Craig)were vocal in his support.

Lee left because he was unhappy with the support he had received from the board after selling Macdonald to Arsenal, and stated that he thought the next manager would have to be 'a pretty strange kind of guy'

However, faced with unrest the board backed down and appointed Dinnis - they also bought a player (from Hibs, Ralph Callachan)just as Wise & co did by taking over transfers before KK walked out - so they took the easy option just as Ashley did with Hughton.

OK, so Hughton has succeeded in getting promoted whereas Dinnis got Newcastle relegated, but there is no certainty that Hughton will do any better in the Prem than Dinnis did in the top league simply because his players 'like' him. OK, maybe there haven't been players giving as vocal support in the Press as they did for Dinnis, but the existence of a so-called 'Committee' and the fact that Nolan was so free with his comments about the manager indicates that the players feel they can discuss such matters freely - would you get Arsenal or Man U players talking about Wenger or SAF so openly ? I doubt it....

What I(and any reasonable person on here)am saying is that we just DON'T KNOW if Hughton can do it in the Prem ; he is not proven there just as Dinnis wasn't, but hopefully, he WILL be given a decent transfer fund to back his attempts to keep the club up....if he does get the money and we stay up, all well & good - if we struggle badly, then he will be judged as any other manager would be.

Yes, I well know the Lee/Dinnis/players history.

My point is that Hughton managment ideals appears to be modern day approaches by using player influences to get the best out of them. As a coach, it is something I have done myself in the past and found it to work. However, what is evident is that whilst players can put forward their ideas, it doesnt necessarily mean that they have the final say. In fact, quite the reverse. Hughton is the manager and listens to all before deciding what is best for the club.

By the way, the point about Wenger and Fergusoin is interesting. If you have setanta sport, you will get access to MUTV and in many interviews I have watched where players past and present have admitted having input into the decisionmaking by the management at the club.

I do not see that as a bad thing as long as management take on the ideas they puit forward in line with their own ideals and tactics.

Merlin

Furthermore, Dinnis was caretaker at the time and Hughton is an appointed manager receiving considerable backing in the media from his players for a job well done.

Macca

Yes, I well know the Lee/Dinnis/players history.

My point is that Hughton managment ideals appears to be modern day approaches by using player influences to get the best out of them. As a coach, it is something I have done myself in the past and found it to work. However, what is evident is that whilst players can put forward their ideas, it doesnt necessarily mean that they have the final say. In fact, quite the reverse. Hughton is the manager and listens to all before deciding what is best for the club.

By the way, the point about Wenger and Fergusoin is interesting. If you have setanta sport, you will get access to MUTV and in many interviews I have watched where players past and present have admitted having input into the decisionmaking by the management at the club.

I do not see that as a bad thing as long as management take on the ideas they puit forward in line with their own ideals and tactics.

Where did you coach like, or if not, at what level?

Comparing Hughton to Ferguson and Wenger? :lol:

Keegan got us to 3rd place in the premiership with £2.5m Darren Peacock his most expensive signing. How on earth did he 'f*** the club up with over spending'?

We've been here before, with Roeder. He had a better squad of players and barely managed to accumulate 40 points. We've been winning games throughout this season, at some point next season we will start losing, I don't believe he's the man to lead a team of players in that situation. I was very happy when he was appointed permanently in october, (check my posts if you wish) I just wish the contract was till the end of the season and he could be moved back to the coaching team without fuss.

Re Keegan, check my post above.

Re Hughton in the PL..............even someone with as limited ability to understand as you would have to admit that the circumstances he took over as caretaker in the PL where the club and the players were at their lowest ebb would have some sort of effect on results.

Players confidence, confusion, fans disatisfaction, pressure, injuries, owner's status, demonstrations, you name it, had such an effect on the club and the players that I doubt anyone could hyave come in and stabilised the club.

This time around, he has virtually single handely built the club back up, management wise. He has got rid of the under performers and signed some players of his own who are enhancing the team. He will go into the PL better prepared with a squad totally backing him.

CAN YOU SPOT THE DIFFERENCES???????????????????/

As for your assertion regarding the comparisons with Wenger and Ferguson, let me ask you this question.

Had you heard of Wenger before he was surprisingly appointed manager of Arsenal? I doubt it because he was a total unknown, having managed in the J League.

I seem to remember that Ferguson was apparently 24 hours away from being sacked as Man Utd manager until they beat us in the cup in the mid 80s. Before managing MU, he had limited experience albeit with a decent Aberdeen side at the time.

Managers have to start somewhere. This is Hughton's opportunity and who is to say he will not be a success because we just do not know.

However, Man Utd would probably not be the force they are today if they had sacked Ferguson and Arsenbal may not be the force they are today if they had not gambled on an unknown.

GET MY DRIFT?

You're insane.

I think it would be criminal if he got rid of CH. Ignore the sentiment of him being a nice guy or whatever: the way he was moulded you into a strong, cohesive unit and swept you to the top of the table and kept you there with the minimum of trouble has been hugely impressive, and as such I can't see how he shouldn't be given a chance next year.

Guest firetotheworks

'Limited experience with a decent Aberdeen side.'  ???

They won 3 league titles, 4 Scottish cups, the league cup, the uefa cup winners cup and the uefa super cup. Before Ferguson they'd hardly won anything.

I barely know why I'm replying, but I wouldn't mind reading your response to that.

They won 3 league titles, 4 Scottish cups, the league cup, the uefa cup winners cup and the uefa super cup. Before Ferguson they'd hardly won anything.

I barely know why I'm replying, but I wouldn't mind reading your response to that.

At the very least I can tell you what it'll start with.

Voted for him to go as there are too many uncertainties concerning CH as we have never seen him build a team or deal in the transfer market, you cannot go off one season in the Championship. Seen people like Ferguson and Wenger mentioned as unknowns went they went to Arsenal and Man U, they weren’t unknowns after what they had done at Monaco and Aberdeen! Even going off someone like Moyles at Everton, he had a few seasons at Preston to assess his abilities.

I also believe most fans know that he’s not up to the job but believe he “deserves a go” but we’ve been here with Souness and Roeder where everyone from the beginning knew how it was going to work out but we gave them the benefit of the doubt anyway. At the first sign of trouble next year people will start to call for Hughton to go as there will be no reason to think that he will turn things around as he has no history.

Hughton was also not  a big player so he doesn’t bring anything to the club with regards to attracting players and commanding respect from that point of view.

If I was Ashley I’d go all out for Roy Hodgson or a similar sort from abroad to manage the club. I refuse to believe that if Ashley is serious about taking the club forward that he couldn’t attract a manager of that calibre. For a club that will get close to 52,000 fans next season we deserve a lot better than Hughton!

Any owner who would give the job to Hughton after one season in the Championship really hasn't got the first clue about football!

Aberdeen were a good team, I admit. However, I wouldnt put them in the same quality as MU or playing in a league as the same quality as the 1st division.

Comparing Hughton to Ferguson and Wenger? :lol:

Keegan got us to 3rd place in the premiership with £2.5m Darren Peacock his most expensive signing. How on earth did he 'f*** the club up with over spending'?

We've been here before, with Roeder. He had a better squad of players and barely managed to accumulate 40 points. We've been winning games throughout this season, at some point next season we will start losing, I don't believe he's the man to lead a team of players in that situation. I was very happy when he was appointed permanently in october, (check my posts if you wish) I just wish the contract was till the end of the season and he could be moved back to the coaching team without fuss.

Re Keegan, check my post above.

Re Hughton in the PL..............even someone with as limited ability to understand as you would have to admit that the circumstances he took over as caretaker in the PL where the club and the players were at their lowest ebb would have some sort of effect on results.

Players confidence, confusion, fans disatisfaction, pressure, injuries, owner's status, demonstrations, you name it, had such an effect on the club and the players that I doubt anyone could hyave come in and stabilised the club.

This time around, he has virtually single handely built the club back up, management wise. He has got rid of the under performers and signed some players of his own who are enhancing the team. He will go into the PL better prepared with a squad totally backing him.

CAN YOU SPOT THE DIFFERENCES???????????????????/

As for your assertion regarding the comparisons with Wenger and Ferguson, let me ask you this question.

Had you heard of Wenger before he was surprisingly appointed manager of Arsenal? I doubt it because he was a total unknown, having managed in the J League.

I seem to remember that Ferguson was apparently 24 hours away from being sacked as Man Utd manager until they beat us in the cup in the mid 80s. Before managing MU, he had limited experience albeit with a decent Aberdeen side at the time.

Managers have to start somewhere. This is Hughton's opportunity and who is to say he will not be a success because we just do not know.

However, Man Utd would probably not be the force they are today if they had sacked Ferguson and Arsenbal may not be the force they are today if they had not gambled on an unknown.

GET MY DRIFT?

You're insane.

So, advise me how you come to this conclusion, sonny!

Could it possibly be that you are unable to counter my opinion with any rational answer other than that I AM INSANE!

Or could it be that almost everyone replying on this thread is of the same opinion that Hughton should be given the opportunity to prove his worth in the PL rather than being replaced in the summer by some big named bozo as you appear to favour!

Anyway, stick and stones and all that. Did make me giggle though.

Guest firetotheworks

Aberdeen were a good team, I admit. However, I wouldnt put them in the same quality as MU or playing in a league as the same quality as the 1st division.

Eh, but wasn't your point that before he went to Man U, that he had limited experience? Ergo, he was close to being sacked, but then went onto greatness? How does that compare to Hughton when Fergie had already won the lot with Aberdeen?