You're Mike Ashley - what do you do?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Show who? Laughing stock to who?

f*** public perception, big decisions are there to be made.

How about the perception among managers? Ashley'll be the one who sacked Sam Allardyce after giving him terrible support in the transfer market (postponing decisions forever), forced out club legend Kevin Keegan after not supporting him in the transfer market, hired an Irishman with unwashed hair, then made a profit in the transfer market with the club in a relegation battle, then sold everything that could walk during the next transfer window and only hired Chris Hughton when the transfer window was closed.

And now you think it would be a wise idea -- f*** public perception -- to sack a manager who has done a good job considering the circumstances, so that Ashley could hire ... oh, Moronho? Who the f*** would want to work for the guy, apart from some absolute moron who spends all his time on football messageboards?

Ronaldo

You are just the type of person who would be the first to run when the going gets tough. No-one would want the likes of you alongside them in the trenches.

If we sacked Hughton now, we would certainly be the laughing stock of the football world. People like Ronaldo can only see a minor part of the entire problem that exisited at the club. They dont know the entire story therefore their opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Furthermore, by sacking Hughton, what message does this send out to any interested managers, apart from SGE who is so desperate, he would probably manage Hartlepool United. We have been crying out for some sort of stability for years and just when we seem to be close to getting that, idiots like Ronaldo want to wreck it all.

In the words of Captain Mainwaring...................STUPID BOY.

First to run when the going gets tough? Just listen to yourself, man. :lol:

Yes, I want to wreck to all. I'd like to see us appoint a manager with big league pedigree because i've had enough of the success derived from going to 24th place Sheff Wed and playing for a draw.

Oh what a numpty you are? Big name managers have come and gone as failures at NUFC, with the possible exception of SBR. I suppose you want Dalglish, Gullitt, Allardyce or Keegan types back to fuck the club up again with over spending?

Wenger wasnt a big name manager when Arsenal took him on. Neither was Fergie at MUFC and look what the board backing of these men has done for their clubs. Compare that to the continual chopping and changing at NUFC for big namers and it is p[retty clear to see to all that if something is in place and working, then dont change it.

We have no idea how Hughton will fare in the premiership yet and only time will tell. He needs to be backed by all concerned with the club and sensibly financially but most of all, given time to ensure we survive and then progress, just like Wenger and Fergie.

Finally, I am not listening to muself, MAN. I am listening to you, who clearly has about as much idea of what is required by the club as I have of the back end of the moon.

You are a controversial poster who loves nothing more than by in the limelight on here..Sad case, sonny.

HGowever, when all is said and done, you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how misguided it is.

They were talking about Newcastle on the Sunday Supplement yesterday. Apart from confusing Barry Moat with Chris Mort and claiming we'd need £60m to stay up, it was a good listen. Might be a bit of a reality check, though I felt they were being overly pessimistic. They're clearly rubbing their hands at the prospect of our return. Today's the day!!!!

I don't think Hughton is capable of keeping us up even with full backing from Ashley, so no matter how much he deserves a chance, Ashley can't risk us going down again.

In the same way Keegan axed important players last time we went up, Ashley too have to be ruthless when there are important areas to improve.

Comparing Hughton to Ferguson and Wenger? :lol:

Keegan got us to 3rd place in the premiership with £2.5m Darren Peacock his most expensive signing. How on earth did he 'f*** the club up with over spending'?

We've been here before, with Roeder. He had a better squad of players and barely managed to accumulate 40 points. We've been winning games throughout this season, at some point next season we will start losing, I don't believe he's the man to lead a team of players in that situation. I was very happy when he was appointed permanently in october, (check my posts if you wish) I just wish the contract was till the end of the season and he could be moved back to the coaching team without fuss.

They were talking about Newcastle on the Sunday Supplement yesterday. Apart from confusing Barry Moat with Chris Mort and claiming we'd need £60m to stay up, it was a good listen. Might be a bit of a reality check, though I felt they were being overly pessimistic. They're clearly rubbing their hands at the prospect of our return. Today's the day!!!!

I would imagine a lot of the southern press such as Louise Taylor, would be keen to see us back as their popular whipping boy subject esopecially as the likes of their precious London clubs (with the exception of WHU) appear to be doing well this season.

I think we have the base already there to survive next season. All we really need is 5 sensible signings in key areas with PL experience or equivalent to ensure survival and progression

has any club just promoted ever spent 60m in a season? its a ridiculous sum to spend in one season and id expect an awful lot more than just survival for that kind of outlay

I highly doubt it. It's a figure not even worth acknowledging, given that you could probably almost build a premier league team from scrarch with that.

so how much must whatever side gets out of the playoffs (lets say for my own benefit blackpool) spend? since those sides are clearly worse than us and wba (who naturally must also spend 60m or so according to the hacks) then naturally they would need to spend more lets say 100m?

journos in reality are quite thick arent they

This is a hard one and I still don't know what'sbest. On one hand, Houghton has done well and seems to be well liked by our key players, a new man might disrupt the stability or decide to sell the likesof Enrique, Colo, Jonas...etc and replace them with 'proper' English players.

BUT I'm equally convinced that Houghton is not good enough for the Premiership, (he has failed before) and to me our success in the Championship is more due to us playing poorer teams that some sort ofimprovement in Houghton's managerial/tactical acumen.

So I voted to just give him around 10M and see what he can do till January...though I'm unconvinced that is the right path to pursue.     

He certainly didn't prove himself either, but you can hardly interpret last season's brief, chaotic caretaker period as "he has failed before". If he's still our manager at the beginning of next season, coming into it after a whole season with the players, the circumstances could hardly be more different.

I'm hoping the situation might be a bit more complex than, just, give him this or give him that and see what he does with it. Maybe Ashley and Hughton will actually sit down and discuss what's needed...

He certainly didn't prove himself either, but you can hardly interpret last season's brief, chaotic caretaker period as "he has failed before". If he's still our manager at the beginning of next season, coming into it after a whole season with the players, the circumstances could hardly be more different.

I'm hoping the situation might be a bit more complex than, just, give him this or give him that and see what he does with it. Maybe Ashley and Hughton will actually sit down and discuss what's needed...

You're right all the off field disruptions didnt help, but the way I see it, he has also failed to deliver in the premiership. The mark of a good manager is the ability to get the player focussed on football when everything else is going crazy, Houghton has proven to be inept at doing this. Knowing us, despite the current stability, we are always just one step away from things going crazy so we will need a manager who can deal with these problems. 

I'd prefer to give you the job than any manager who has the phrase 'proper english player' in their vocabulary.

I'd do the same for you! Hate those sort of myopic xenophobic managers

My opinion is that Chris Hughton deserves his chance in the premiership for bringing us back up.

His good points are:

-Backing of the players

-Has created a team and spirit

-Has two quite tangible plans of action for home and away

-spent well and loaned well (van whatshisname was excellent cover)

-No public ego and handles press well, doesn't let tricky situations override team work

His bad points are:

-I seriously think the team haven't played "well" until the last few games

-Hasn't started playing  the "right" players until now and had too much faith in the senior players (smith/butt) previously.

-Doesn't often have a plan B or at least thats what it looks like with substitutions or lack of.

To be fair his positives outweigh his negatives...so give the man some slack and get behind him for the season coming!

How about the perception among managers? Ashley'll be the one who sacked Sam Allardyce after giving him terrible support in the transfer market (postponing decisions forever), forced out club legend Kevin Keegan after not supporting him in the transfer market, hired an Irishman with unwashed hair, then made a profit in the transfer market with the club in a relegation battle, then sold everything that could walk during the next transfer window and only hired Chris Hughton when the transfer window was closed.

And now you think it would be a wise idea -- f*** public perception -- to sack a manager who has done a good job considering the circumstances, so that Ashley could hire ... oh, Moronho? Who the f*** would want to work for the guy, apart from some absolute moron who spends all his time on football messageboards?

Ronaldo

You are just the type of person who would be the first to run when the going gets tough. No-one would want the likes of you alongside them in the trenches.

If we sacked Hughton now, we would certainly be the laughing stock of the football world. People like Ronaldo can only see a minor part of the entire problem that exisited at the club. They dont know the entire story therefore their opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Furthermore, by sacking Hughton, what message does this send out to any interested managers, apart from SGE who is so desperate, he would probably manage Hartlepool United. We have been crying out for some sort of stability for years and just when we seem to be close to getting that, idiots like Ronaldo want to wreck it all.

Yes, I want to wreck to all. I'd like to see us appoint a manager with big league pedigree because i've had enough of the success derived from going to 24th place Sheff Wed and playing for a draw.

Oh what a numpty you are? Big name managers have come and gone as failures at NUFC, with the possible exception of SBR. I suppose you want Dalglish, Gullitt, Allardyce or Keegan types back to fuck the club up again with over spending?

Wenger wasnt a big name manager when Arsenal took him on. Neither was Fergie at MUFC and look what the board backing of these men has done for their clubs. Compare that to the continual chopping and changing at NUFC for big namers and it is p[retty clear to see to all that if something is in place and working, then dont change it.

We have no idea how Hughton will fare in the premiership yet and only time will tell. He needs to be backed by all concerned with the club and sensibly financially but most of all, given time to ensure we survive and then progress, just like Wenger and Fergie.

Finally, I am not listening to muself, MAN. I am listening to you, who clearly has about as much idea of what is required by the club as I have of the back end of the moon.

You are a controversial poster who loves nothing more than by in the limelight on here..Sad case, sonny.

HGowever, when all is said and done, you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how misguided it is.

I must admit I was totally gutted at Keegan over spending and giving me my best years of supporting this team.

Ronaldo

Oh what a numpty you are? Big name managers have come and gone as failures at NUFC, with the possible exception of SBR. I suppose you want Dalglish, Gullitt, Allardyce or Keegan types back to f*** the club up again with over spending?

I must admit I was totally gutted at Keegan over spending and giving me my best years of supporting this team.

My inclusion of Keegan was based more on his management and expectations financially wise from his last stint as manager rather than what he did in 1992 onwards which is ancient history.

Worrying about whether a manager is going to fail, and then not giving him all the money just in case he fails, is liable to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If he's the manager, Ashley has to show full confidence in him, regardless of any reservations he might feel in private.

Sacking him at least has the merit of being decisive, but sends out all the wrong messages, and would disrupt the sense of unity that has been so important this season. The players, coaches and manager need to work in an atmosphere where they know that they'll be rewarded for success.

Worrying about whether a manager is going to fail, and then not giving him all the money just in case he fails, is liable to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If he's the manager, Ashley has to show full confidence in him, regardless of any reservations he might feel in private.

Sacking him at least has the merit of being decisive, but sends out all the wrong messages, and would disrupt the sense of unity that has been so important this season. The players, coaches and manager need to work in an atmosphere where they know that they'll be rewarded for success.

:thup:

Comparing Hughton to Ferguson and Wenger? :lol:

Keegan got us to 3rd place in the premiership with £2.5m Darren Peacock his most expensive signing. How on earth did he 'f*** the club up with over spending'?

We've been here before, with Roeder. He had a better squad of players and barely managed to accumulate 40 points. We've been winning games throughout this season, at some point next season we will start losing, I don't believe he's the man to lead a team of players in that situation. I was very happy when he was appointed permanently in october, (check my posts if you wish) I just wish the contract was till the end of the season and he could be moved back to the coaching team without fuss.

Re Keegan, check my post above.

Re Hughton in the PL..............even someone with as limited ability to understand as you would have to admit that the circumstances he took over as caretaker in the PL where the club and the players were at their lowest ebb would have some sort of effect on results.

Players confidence, confusion, fans disatisfaction, pressure, injuries, owner's status, demonstrations, you name it, had such an effect on the club and the players that I doubt anyone could hyave come in and stabilised the club.

This time around, he has virtually single handely built the club back up, management wise. He has got rid of the under performers and signed some players of his own who are enhancing the team. He will go into the PL better prepared with a squad totally backing him.

CAN YOU SPOT THE DIFFERENCES???????????????????/

As for your assertion regarding the comparisons with Wenger and Ferguson, let me ask you this question.

Had you heard of Wenger before he was surprisingly appointed manager of Arsenal? I doubt it because he was a total unknown, having managed in the J League.

I seem to remember that Ferguson was apparently 24 hours away from being sacked as Man Utd manager until they beat us in the cup in the mid 80s. Before managing MU, he had limited experience albeit with a decent Aberdeen side at the time.

Managers have to start somewhere. This is Hughton's opportunity and who is to say he will not be a success because we just do not know.

However, Man Utd would probably not be the force they are today if they had sacked Ferguson and Arsenbal may not be the force they are today if they had not gambled on an unknown.

GET MY DRIFT?

We have to give him a chane - what message does it send out to players and other managers if we sack a manager that has just got us promoted, set a new record for clean sheets in a season etc - all on the back of what was probably the biggest joke of a season by any club in the premiership ever.

Now, if after 2-3 months, things are not looking good Ashley has to be decisive and get in a new manager, and one that is up to the task and not some relic who has not been in the game for over 5 years.

Let's face it, Hughton has surprised us this season, and he may well surprise us again.

I don't think he'll struggle tactically. However, it is a problem for a caretaker / coach who is promoted to manager, when it comes to replacing the players who got him the success in the first place. A caretaker has to rely on forming an alliance with the players, because he's not in a position to assert himself more aggressively. If he starts giving them the message that they're not good enough for him, then you have resentment. That's where Roeder came a cropper - he lost the dressing room when he laid into them after the Alkmaar defeat.

Where I think Hughton has played it just right is he's never acted flash. Most managers by this stage would have acquired a bit of a public swagger, but he's been relentlessly downbeat. If he stays that way, he should be able to carry the dressing room with him.

Let's face it, Hughton has surprised us this season, and he may well surprise us again.

I don't think he'll struggle tactically. However, it is a problem for a caretaker / coach who is promoted to manager, when it comes to replacing the players who got him the success in the first place. A caretaker has to rely on forming an alliance with the players, because he's not in a position to assert himself more aggressively. If he starts giving them the message that they're not good enough for him, then you have resentment. That's where Roeder came a cropper - he lost the dressing room when he laid into them after the Alkmaar defeat.

Where I think Hughton has played it just right is he's never acted flash. Most managers by this stage would have acquired a bit of a public swagger, but he's been relentlessly downbeat. If he stays that way, he should be able to carry the dressing room with him.

Agreed.............good post unlike the panic stricken, tunnelled vision, unrealistic and appathetic posts of some on here. Not mentioning any names of course..........LOL

I'd place my full confidence in him. The team has constantly praised Hughton throughout the season and I would not want to break up the positive morale in the dressing room (bar Carroll/Taylor incident). I'm also confident that chief scout Graham Carr can do a decent job, so evidently Hughton has a team which can help advise particularly solid signings. Sacking Hughton will just cause disruption and discontent within the squad - in my opinion, the largest factor which resulted in relegation in the 08/9 season.

Guest The_Scoreboard

Hughton wasn't upto it last time, why should anything change.It may of been more of a barometer of his management  skills if life had of been more difficult in the Championship.

It has already changed. The team and club are transformed from the sorry excuse on the pitch last season. Hughton might appear to have failed in the prem by many fans but IMO the players were to blame. Kinnear, Hughton and Shearer couldn't sort it out last season but I think the present team and manager minus Butt, Simpson and Best along with 4/5 sensible signings that fit in well could see us do alright  :thup: especially with 50000 fans totally behind Hughton and the lads :snod: