NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest Flatline

I dont want huge signings, we are not in that position anymore. Cavani-type players are too highstrung, massive wages, massive transfer-fees and huge expectations. The rest of our team might not even be good enough to support that type of player.  We need to sign 5-7 £ million up and coming players, if one or two doesnt fit in its not a huge downer. 2 strikers, 1 winger, 1 right back, 1 left back backup/replacement for enrique, a central defender to pair up with colo, and we are set for the fall imo.

Forster

New    Colo     New      Enrique

Barton    Tiote  Ireland    

Ben arfa

New striker  Best/new striker

Sub bench:

Gosling

Nolan

Ferguson

Gutierrez

Simpson

Williamson

Krul

Nolan

Signing 2 new first-team defenders would be a total waste of money IMO.

We need backup for Enrique if he stays, maybe a decent cheap CB if nobody is ready from the youth/reserves and the rest should go on strengthening the midfield and getting us someone who can score goals.

Guest Roger Kint

We need backup for Enrique if he stays, maybe a decent cheap CB if nobody is ready from the youth/reserves and the rest should go on strengthening the midfield and getting us someone who can score goals.

I wouldnt take any post seriously that assumes Ireland over Nolan will ever happen at CM.

Guest Flatline

I wouldnt take any post seriously that assumes Ireland over Nolan will ever happen at CM.

Id take a fit ireland over a fit nolan 10 out of 10 times. Which I am sure you would agree is unlikely to ever happen by the way.

What a fit ireland can contribute with offensively is way beyond what Nolan can do, simply because he is not a good enough fotballer to do it.

Guest Flatline

Back up for Enrique ??

Fergie was the best player on the pitch on saturday.

Id rather play ferguson than Jonas tbh..

Ferguson as LB backup is good for me. No matter how many players we sign i would 110% rather go for quality than quantity, by saying that i dont mean players like Cavani, unrealistic.

Guest Flatline

maybe he saw the Newcastle-Liverpool game at st.james and decided he wasnt gonna be in a team knocked out of europe by scousers anymore :lol:

Id take a fit ireland over a fit nolan 10 out of 10 times. Which I am sure you would agree is unlikely to ever happen by the way.

What a fit ireland can contribute with offensively is way beyond what Nolan can do, simply because he is not a good enough fotballer to do it.

Agreed. A more creative and speedy CM will create create and score more goals than what Nolan manages during a season.

Ideally, we need a couple of good strikers (one quick, one who can score goals), a winger (assuming Routledge goes), a centre back, a utility fullback who can slot in both sides and a defensive midfielder. An attacking midfielder would be nice too, if Ireland is s***.

Not too much to ask :lol: Likelihood of it happening - zero :laugh:

Guest Roger Kint

I dont think i have never seen Ireland come close to playing well at CM in a 4-4-2 tbh. As Pardew has stated he prefers two up top am not sure where Ireland would fit in other than as backup to Barton at RW. Either way i wouldnt sign him to play alongside Tiote, personally wouldnt sign him at all for that matter, not worth the expense or fitness risks.

Guest Flatline

Im not saying Ireland is the answer, any high-capacity creative midfielder WILL contribute more overall both in terms of goals, assists and keeping midfield domination than what Nolan currently does. Would you take Nolans 1 goal every 3 games and passenger-style capacity aside from that, or a fit creative midfielder who can dominate every game?

Yes Nolan scores goals now and then, but other than that? Ah yes, the "invisible work" and "captain duties" which go unnoticed. Sorry, not good enough for me.

He scores goals, but he also exposes our entire midfield and defence through his lack of conditioning.

He`s a nice lad but this isnt a personality contest.

Guest Roger Kint

Im not saying Ireland is the answer, any high-capacity creative midfielder WILL contribute more overall both in terms of goals, assists and keeping midfield domination than what Nolan currently does.

How many midfielders have done that this season?

Edit: By that i mean in a 4-4-2 btw before you start throwing VDV etc at me.

Im not saying Ireland is the answer, any high-capacity creative midfielder WILL contribute more overall both in terms of goals, assists and keeping midfield domination than what Nolan currently does. Would you take Nolans 1 goal every 3 games and passenger-style capacity aside from that, or a fit creative midfielder who can dominate every game?

Yes Nolan scores goals now and then, but other than that? Ah yes, the "invisible work" and "captain duties" which go unnoticed. Sorry, not good enough for me.

He scores goals, but he also exposes our entire midfield and defence through his lack of conditioning.

He`s a nice lad but this isnt a personality contest.

If we had two good strikers, we wouldn't necessarily need a creative midfielder (at least that's what I'm telling myself, as it seems a quality CAM isn't coming in any time soon). This is the approach the club will take in my opinion.

I'd rather we go for someone like Kranjcar, tbh.

Im not saying Ireland is the answer, any high-capacity creative midfielder WILL contribute more overall both in terms of goals, assists and keeping midfield domination than what Nolan currently does.

I highly doubt this season is a marker for anything.

Guest Roger Kint

I highly doubt this season is a marker for anything.

My point is Flatline is talking out of a different hole by saying another WILL do better as not many currently are aside from those out of our league.

Unbelievable that people would replace Nolan, never mind replacing him Stephen Ireland.

You got to see the whole picture. Yes, Nolan has scored 11 goals. But he also hinders our play to an extent. Without Barton, our midfield is helpless. Then we have nobody to distribute  , except Tiote, but that's not his original responsibility, but it falls on him anyway because Nolan is useless outside the box.

He's similar to Bent in that he plays in a way that makes him look good, but not the others. Nolan doesn't make the other players around him better.   It's just the opposite: He doesn't take the ball with him (like offensive cm should do), running straight against the defenders which  will force one of them to push forward. That disorganized the defense and creates room for overlapping players, which Nolan then could pass to. The wide man will in such an situation have two options, he can go directly at goal, or run down to the line and hit a 45 degree pass to Nolan who's steaming into the box. This kind of play does not occur frequently with us, because Nolan's style prevents it.

It's the offensive cm's responsibility to put other players in such good positions, which  Nolan never does! That makes everything more difficult  for Jonas and Enrique since the only way they're able to get down the flank is when they're doing it by themselves or combining between them.  Nolan doesn't  runs towards them, inviting to triangle play or trying to set up a breakthrough with a pass, like he should do.  A player like HBA, will probably score 5-6 goals himself, set up more assists to Best and the new attacker, and even manage to create goals for Jonas and Enrique. In sum, the amount of goals he creates for others and bags himself, will far outweigh all goals we  lose if  Nolan starts on the bench next season.

Assuming we keep the likes of Barton, Tiote and Enrique.  I would say we need a new striker, probably two would be required, cover for the wings and cover at full back.  Would like to see us sign a player like Kranjcar for wing cover and maybe the utility man Pardew speaks of could be Jamie O'Hara, not a bad player and can cover three positions.  Once Ben Arfa is back fit I would imagine he would play off the front in a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 formation as the attacking mid/free role is his best position, that is why I think we need a winger.  Being linked with Matt Jarvis, looks a canny little player to me.  Genuine wide mean, two footed and has a bit of pace as well, end ball looks far better than Jonas' as well.

Problem is, I think one of the first three mentioned will leave, so we will need to replace them. 

Can't say I agree with dropping Nolan like, he does seem to be a bit of a passenger at times, but we look unorganised, uinterested and generally just a complete shambles when he doesn't play, his leadership qualities are outstanding and he weighs in with important goals.  Shame he's such a fat bugger, I really don't get how he is so unfit, he's a pro footballer FFS!