NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Getting pretty agitated now tbh. 

They're absolute cheeky cunts if we just do 1 in / 1 out until the season starts - our squad is shit.  I looked at our forwards towards the end of last season and couldn't remember a set that we'd had that was anywhere near as bad.  But we've brought in a free transfer with a questionable injury record for that position, so happy days - we're sorted.

There really doesn't seem to be much desire to progress on the field here and the quotes of the past week just back this up for me.  Hopefully it's just a smokescreen because if we go into the season having spent coppers when we clearly need significant investment up front then it takes the piss.

7 mil bid fpr Shane Long reported. A bit much isnt it? Hes not worth more than 4 mil I think. For 7 mil I would much rather see we went for someone like Bendtner.

We paid 8 mil for carl court in 2000, imagine what he would cost now.

Could just about hack Long for 7m. My personal limit was about 6m.

To be honest, when you look at the prices that players are going for these days, £7m isn't a bad price for an English-based 24 year-old with 23 goals (even in second tier football) in his previous season.

Getting pretty agitated now tbh. 

They're absolute cheeky cunts if we just do 1 in / 1 out until the season starts - our squad is shit.  I looked at our forwards towards the end of last season and couldn't remember a set that we'd had that was anywhere near as bad.  But we've brought in a free transfer with a questionable injury record for that position, so happy days - we're sorted.

There really doesn't seem to be much desire to progress on the field here and the quotes of the past week just back this up for me.  Hopefully it's just a smokescreen because if we go into the season having spent coppers when we clearly need significant investment up front then it takes the piss.

There was that season when John Barnes was our top scorer.

Could just about hack Long for 7m. My personal limit was about 6m.

To be honest, when you look at the prices that players are going for these days, £7m isn't a bad price for an English-based 24 year-old with 23 goals (even in second tier football) in his previous season.

Danny Graham went for £3.5 million and has scored loads in the last 5 years. He sounds like a far better bet than Long.

We shouldn't be paying over the odds for a striker who has had 1 good season in the championship. We've had significant time and money to get the 2 strikers we need to progress and this is who we're going for?

"United do not anticipate doing much business between now and the start of the season."

Slightly contradicts what Pardew has said... shame they don't have any quotes.

Anyway, like I said, we can't judge the club based on press speculation, let's see what happens.

I don't understand what people see in Long, 7 million pounds is laughable. If we're going to spend that much money surely we can get someone better.

Can you though? Who? And what don't you see in Long?

Not saying he's world class, but he has the attributes and the potential to do very well for us. Whether £7m is fair or not is a bit hard to say.

I have a feeling this could be yet another very frustrating summer for us. I don't think frustration is starting to find its way to us because we're not signing players every second day, but moreso because our squad- especially up front, as well all know- is so threadbare and desperately needs investment if we are to progress and not have a dismal season.

In saying that, signings such as Cabaye we're done under wraps and we're hardly picked up on until late on, so you never know.

But still, I am getting concerned such is our desperation to add to our squad and until we do that it won't get any better.

I have a feeling this could be yet another very frustrating summer for us. I don't think frustration is starting to find its way to us because we're not signing players every second day, but moreso because our squad- especially up front, as well all know- is so threadbare and desperately needs investment if we are to progress and not have a dismal season.

In saying that, signings such as Cabaye we're done under wraps and we're hardly picked up on until late on, so you never know.

But still, I am getting concerned such is our desperation to add to our squad and until we do that it won't get any better.

There's no reason to be frustrated though, that's the thing I don't understand. We've made some good moves and are obviously working on others.

There's no way our squad could be described as threadbare at the moment IMO. We obviously lack quality up front, but not numbers.

I don't know what kind of summer people were expecting, if what has happened so far seems negative to them. It just baffles me.

Thinking about it, it's very obvious that Ashley is incredibly reluctant to pay a penny over the odds for players. But he must know that in modern times sometimes the only way to get good players in is to pay over the odds- you've got to pay to get the best. However, this isn't easy to tell someone who's desperate to sell the club and is trying to run it on a shoestring until such an opportunity arises.

Thinking about it, it's very obvious that Ashley is incredibly reluctant to pay a penny over the odds for players. But he must know that in modern times sometimes the only way to get good players in is to pay over the odds- you've got to pay to get the best. However, this isn't easy to tell someone who's desperate to sell the club and is trying to run it on a shoestring until such an opportunity arises.

I'm sure he'd rather settle for second-choice players than pay over the odds for the first choices.