NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Speaks volumes that nobody will take his bet tbh.

UV or Pip?  I'd be more inclined to take Pips but neither are entirely dependent on the activity of NUFC so it's f***ing nonsense - last year was widely recognised as an anomalous year for a lot of teams and based on that, if we stick as we are in the market, i reckon we'll end up doing worse despite having some better players on the books

I was referring to UV's proposal FWIW. Quite comical watching people try and squirm it into something else.

On the contrary I think most of those other people have explained their reasoning very well. UV's shallow point-scoring exercise of counting goals rather than results is petty at best. It says more about those who want to support such a narrow argument than it does about those who are disputing it.

To be fair, his bet was targeted at the supposed improved quality of our ATTACK. I would say goals scored is a pretty good measure for this, certainly better than the possession stat nonsense others have been coming up to counter his argument, wouldn't you agree?

To look at goals scored last season alone I don't think  we need to invest in our attacking options.  OH WAIT THAT WOULD BE A TAD SHORT SIGHTED YEAH...

You must have overlooked the fact we lost our two top scorers.. Easy mistake to make.

It was a simple, straight-forward offer of a bet about how many goals we'll score. I don't see why everyone's getting so worked up about it and offering their own terms instead. If we've improved our side attacking-wise it seems a pretty decent bet that we'll score more.

Since the Premier League became a 20-team league during the 95-6 season, only 8 teams who've finished outside the top 6 have scored more than 56 goals. Unless someone reckons we're going to finish 6th then it's an awful bet man. :lol:

UV or Pip?  I'd be more inclined to take Pips but neither are entirely dependent on the activity of NUFC so it's f***ing nonsense - last year was widely recognised as an anomalous year for a lot of teams and based on that, if we stick as we are in the market, i reckon we'll end up doing worse despite having some better players on the books

I was referring to UV's proposal FWIW. Quite comical watching people try and squirm it into something else.

On the contrary I think most of those other people have explained their reasoning very well. UV's shallow point-scoring exercise of counting goals rather than results is petty at best. It says more about those who want to support such a narrow argument than it does about those who are disputing it.

To be fair, his bet was targeted at the supposed improved quality of our ATTACK. I would say goals scored is a pretty good measure for this, certainly better than the possession stat nonsense others have been coming up to counter his argument, wouldn't you agree?

No I wouldn't. While Carroll is a formidable centre forward, I have never rated Nolan so highly and neither it seems have the rest of the premiership clubs. Carroll and Nolan did provide an effective Stoke-style partnership but it severely limited our passing game due to Nolan's lack of movement. As Baggio pointed out earlier, we scored more goals than Spurs, does that mean our attacking play was more effective than theirs?

It was a simple, straight-forward offer of a bet about how many goals we'll score. I don't see why everyone's getting so worked up about it and offering their own terms instead. If we've improved our side attacking-wise it seems a pretty reasonable assumption that we'll score more goals.

Oh, and UV has explained his own reasoning well IMO.

Who is getting worked up about it? People place bets on statistical chance. They'll take a bet based on their belief that they might win. I'm quite sure UV is aware, despite his excellent reasoning, that my previous point (which you've ignored) is a significant factor. Scoring more goals is a big ask, last season was a freak one. Bell Curves are very sound tools, last season we were well to the right, as were other teams, it was a freak season in many respects.

It was a simple, straight-forward offer of a bet about how many goals we'll score. I don't see why everyone's getting so worked up about it and offering their own terms instead. If we've improved our side attacking-wise it seems a pretty decent bet that we'll score more.

Since the Premier League became a 20-team league during the 95-6 season, only 8 teams who've finished outside the top 6 have scored more than 56 goals. Unless someone reckons we're going to finish 6th then it's an awful bet man. :lol:

So what would be your target for goals scored next season bearing in mind our "ambition" of a top 10 finish, and who would score those goals with our current squad (the argument being if we have currently improved attacking wise)?

UV or Pip?  I'd be more inclined to take Pips but neither are entirely dependent on the activity of NUFC so it's f***ing nonsense - last year was widely recognised as an anomalous year for a lot of teams and based on that, if we stick as we are in the market, i reckon we'll end up doing worse despite having some better players on the books

No I wouldn't. While Carroll is a formidable centre forward, I have never rated Nolan so highly and neither it seems have the rest of the premiership clubs. Carroll and Nolan did provide an effective Stoke-style partnership but it severely limited our passing game due to Nolan's lack of movement. As Baggio pointed out earlier, we scored more goals than Spurs, does that mean our attacking play was more effective than theirs?

Yes, it means exactly that. Not sure how you could argue this... May not have been as pleasing on the eye as Barcelona style attacking, but effective it was.

Not getting worked up over it.  I just don't think goals scored is the only way to judge attacking quality  /shrug

Who said it was the "only way"..? It's as good a measure as any, though, and the fact nobody here ridiculing UV is willing to take him up on his bet tells its own story.

It's not just as simple as saying that better attacking players = more goals, tbf.

Blackpool scored the same number of goals as Spurs did last year, yet it's pretty obvious that one of them has vastly superior attacking players than the other.

To look at goals scored last season alone I don't think  we need to invest in our attacking options.  OH WAIT THAT WOULD BE A TAD SHORT SIGHTED YEAH...

You must have overlooked the fact we lost our two top scorers.. Easy mistake to make.

Howay man they only scored 40% between them.

Not getting worked up over it.  I just don't think goals scored is the only way to judge attacking quality  /shrug

Who said it was the "only way"..? It's as good a measure as any, though, and the fact nobody here ridiculing UV is willing to take him up on his bet tells its own story.

Who is ridiculing UV?  We're arguing the bet isn't very sound, and that's why no-one is taking it up.

You're arguing with Dave that because no-one is taking up the bet everything UV says must be pertinent and accurate. Meh.

It's not just as simple as saying that better attacking players = more goals, tbf.

Blackpool scored the same number of goals as Spurs did last year, yet it's pretty obvious that one of them has vastly superior attacking players than the other.

DJ Campbell and Harewood probably scored more than all Tottenham's strikers did combined in the league.

/guess

Who is ridiculing UV?  We're arguing the bet isn't very sound, and that's why no-one is taking it up.

You're arguing with Dave that because no-one is taking up the bet everything UV says must be pertinent and accurate. Meh.

It's not about UV or the bet, it's about the statement frequently bandied around recently that, as it stands, we have improved attacking wise. It's just plain wrong.

Blackpool scored 55 goals last year.  How would you characterize their attacking players?

And FWIW, I wasn't ridiculing anyone so...

Nah, I never said that.

I just find it interesting that nobody is willing to take up the bet. Perhaps they don't actually place all that much trust in what they post. :dontknow:

To look at goals scored last season alone I don't think  we need to invest in our attacking options.  OH WAIT THAT WOULD BE A TAD SHORT SIGHTED YEAH...

Irrelevant, just like the statistic I was being sarcastic about...

(well not in the bigger picture, just that any discussion about my post isn't really needed because it wasn't a serious post to begin with)

Irrelevant, just like the statistic I was being sarcastic about...

Number of goals scored or losing your top scorers are irrelevant..?  :crazy2:

Nah, I never said that.

I just find it interesting that nobody is willing to take up the bet. Perhaps they don't actually place all that much trust in what they post. :dontknow:

Ok, granted you never implied that..

http://s4.postimage.org/4889zq34i/normalcurve.jpg

Does that help explain it?