NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Sturridge doesn't fit the type of striker we were previously supposed to be after. Not sure how well he would complement Ba, either.

Obviously would be delighted if we got him in, even on loan.

He'd be exactly the type of forward we were looking at, pacy and a good eye for goal.

Sturridge doesn't fit the type of striker we were previously supposed to be after. Not sure how well he would complement Ba, either.

Obviously would be delighted if we got him in, even on loan.

He'd be exactly the type of forward we were looking at, pacy and a good eye for goal.

Doesn't fall into the same category as the "second striker" types like Erdinc and Long,though.

We shouldn't try to sign any one as there's the off chance that the club will want one of our best players.

Wish I shared your optimism that we wouldn't sell Tiote if Chelsea decided they wanted him. A deal for Sturridge when he was out of our price range until now sounds fishy to me.

Second striker in terms of position or pecking order?

Neither Long or Erdinc are 'second strikers' I don't think.

Sorry, not the best description. Meant a hard working,pacy, off the shoulder type striker like Bellamy.

Second striker in terms of position or pecking order?

Neither Long or Erdinc are 'second strikers' I don't think.

Sorry, not the best description. Meant a hard working,pacy, off the shoulder type striker like Bellamy.

Right. I was going to say like, Sturridge is more of a 'second striker' than those two as he can drop out wide or deep to pick up the ball and create.

I hope theres substance in the Sturridge link, rather than just another lazy, Sunday rumour because he's exactly what we need. The risk with 'loan to buy' is that he'll do well here but he won't sign for us because someone bigger wants him......thats how little I trust footballers now. But the good thing is that - with the striker search getting grim - it gives us another year to find the right striker to buy.

Having said that, I still think we'll end up with Erdinc.

the key to second strikers, lone strikers etc is often the support and general set up of the rest of the team. with ben arfa,marveaux,cabaye,jonas (if his arse is kicked into using space), gosling, and barton being told if he plays to get in the box more particularly when we have possession on the other wing. we ought to have a good bit more support for the forward(s) than the last few seasons.

As delighted as I would be to get Sturridge on loan, it'd be yet another reason to not spend a transfer fee on a new player.

Not really not spending, just delaying. I reckon we'd take up the buy option at the end.

EDIT: Quote from Pardew on the second page - "We would also do a loan player if there was something at the end of it for us.”

I'd sooner us get someone like Sturridge on loan now and be in a position to sign a better calibre of striker than Erding & Long next summer, than pay £8m for one of those now.

We shouldn't try to sign any one as there's the off chance that the club will want one of our best players.

Wish I shared your optimism that we wouldn't sell Tiote if Chelsea decided they wanted him. A deal for Sturridge when he was out of our price range until now sounds fishy to me.

If we want to sell him then we'll sell him, regardless of Sturridge or not.

We don't always have to go all doom monger you know. We're not going to sell everybody.

We don't always have to go all doom monger you know. We're not going to sell everybody.

Good luck with that argument Jonny, it never works for me.

It's just a pointless argument in this situation.

If we sign Sturridge, we could sell Tiote. Well it's the same if we buy Erdnic, or Long, or N'Zogbia, or Wayne Bridge, or Dave Nugent.

Let's just sign nobody then there's a chance we won't sell Tiote.

It's just a pointless argument in this situation.

If we sign Sturridge, we could sell Tiote. Well it's the same if we buy Erdnic, or Long, or N'Zogbia, or Wayne Bridge, or Dave Nugent.

Let's just sign nobody then there's a chance we won't sell Tiote.

But I'm not making any argument, I'm just pointing out that it sounds fishy to me as we had dismissed the Sturridge links previously and Essien has now got injured. That might just be me getting paranoid so don't fret you can view the situation entirely differently, that's fine as well. I hope you're right.

:thup:

We dismissed the Ba rumours too. And Sol Campbell last year. etc. etc.

It's just a case of us returning to the ideas board when other plans go tits up.

How would people actually feel if we lost Tiote but got Sturridge in the process?

IMO we will sell Tiote anyway within the next two seasons, so to get Sturridge in return would be a bonus (only on a permenant).

Doesn't mean for a second that i want to see him leave, this season or any season.

Guest Haris Vuckic

How would people actually feel if we lost Tiote but got Sturridge in the process?

I would be devastated to lose Tiote full stop.

We must keep Tiote at all costs. Sturridge can piss off if it meant The Terminator going the opposite way.

I think what we should be after is a player who can play either out wide or just off the striker.

Pardew seems like he fancies playing a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1. Ba would appear to be the likely first choice as the one up front, and I suppose I could probably stomach having Best and (*sigh*) Shola as the reserve options in that spot.

But we're a bit thin in terms of the pacey options you need out wide to make that work, and we also don't have anyone else in the squad that I feel could fill in for Ben Arfa if he gets injured/struggles for form/needs a rest. Vuckic theoretically would be a good fit in that spot, but I don't know if he's ready.

It's why I'm so disappointed that we seem to have given up on N'Zogbia, think he'd have been the perfect addition.