NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest johnson293
And while there was talk about bringing in Daniel Sturridge on loan from Chelsea over the weekend, this has played down by United sources at this stage.

Like most Premier League bosses, Pardew would love to add Sturridge to his ranks, but even a loan deal would mean a steep fee to go with his Stamford Bridge wages.

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas wants to look at Sturridge in the Blues’ pre-season matches before making a decision and the striker played in the first half of Chelsea’s narrow win at Portsmouth on Saturday.

Sturridge now heads to Asia with Chelsea.

And he said recently: “My aim this season is to play regularly for Chelsea and get into the England side.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/07/18/yohan-cabaye-out-of-us-trip-amid-visa-issue-72703-29073125/2/#ixzz1SSFFcIhu

And while there was talk about bringing in Daniel Sturridge on loan from Chelsea over the weekend, this has played down by United sources at this stage.

Like most Premier League bosses, Pardew would love to add Sturridge to his ranks, but even a loan deal would mean a steep fee to go with his Stamford Bridge wages.

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas wants to look at Sturridge in the Blues’ pre-season matches before making a decision and the striker played in the first half of Chelsea’s narrow win at Portsmouth on Saturday.

And he said recently: “My aim this season is to play regularly for Chelsea and get into the England side.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/07/18/yohan-cabaye-out-of-us-trip-amid-visa-issue-72703-29073125/2/#ixzz1SSFFcIhu

Fuck off should a steep loan fee be a problem. If he's available (though that I doubt tbh), we should go all out to get him.

Guest johnson293

Fuck off should a steep loan fee be a problem. If he's available (though that I doubt tbh), we should go all out to get him.

Thing is, would the loan fee come off any future permanent fee (should we decide to keep him), or would it be separate?

Thing is, would the loan fee come off any future permanent fee (should we decide to keep him), or would it be separate?

Separate I'd have thought in this case as I can't really see Chelsea thinking about selling him at the moment.

It's not like we are even adverse to paying loan fees though, Ben Arfa's was £2m I believe, and I don't imagine Sturridges would be significantly more.

Separate I'd have thought in this case as I can't really see Chelsea thinking about selling him at the moment.

It's not like we are even adverse to paying loan fees though, Ben Arfa's was £2m I believe, and I don't imagine Sturridges would be significantly more.

More like £1m for Ben Arfa as far as I remember.

Was there a buyout fee in the Ben Arfa loan deal?

Aye, was automatically triggered if he played 25 games. He obviously didn't, but we agreed a fee in January instead. Think the buyout fee was said be around £5-6m, depending on who you believe.

Yeah, when we signed him on loan we got a buyout fee agreed that would allow us to sign him at any time during the loan (£5.75m according to most reports AFAIR).  We used that buyout clause in January.  Marseille put in a clause saying that if he played 25 games or more we had to buy him, but it never came to that because of how awesome he is :D

Aye, was automatically triggered if he played 25 games. He obviously didn't, but we agreed a fee in January instead. Think the buyout fee was said be around £5-6m, depending on who you believe.

Ah yeah, after 25 games not at the end of the season, that's what I meant :shifty:

How many days since the last credible rumour?

Too many. Though I do believe (rightly or wrongly) that we will add another 1 or 2 before the window shuts, just not necessarily before the season starts. There are bound to be players who are destined to leave but whilst the window is still in its relatviely early stages, their clubs will be holding out for that bit extra. The closer the end of the window comes, the cheaper these players will potentially become.

Take N'Zogbia for instance. I'd say there's a 95% chance he'll leave in this window. Last year of his contract, both Martinez and Whelan know he won't sign a new contract and if he's still there come August 31st his price will drop by a couple of mil, and further still if he still happens to be there in January. If his price now is £10-12m we won't touch him, and other clubs will more than likely to be reluctant to also, come 31st August what will his price be then? £7-8m perhaps?

I'd be very surprised if we aren't monitoring players who's contracts are expiring shortly with a view to making a move late in the window for 'knock down' prices, N'Zogbia included.