NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest BooBoo

Can't remember who said it but it's appalling given the cash windfall that we got for Carroll, we will be only a few easy injuries away from having to rely on the likes of Shola, Lovenkrands, Guthrie, Ryan Taylor. Plus god knows what we'll do if we have problems with our five senior defenders.

There's absolutely no excuse for it this year. This week it's the laughable "our targets are all on tour", next week will be "we're still finding our feet again after the States and concentrating on Leeds" and after that it will be "it's a sellers market near the end of the window and we're determined not to be held to ransom."

When we get back from the tour there'll be what, about 3 weeks before the start of the season?

Just one lame excuse after the other. I don't accept at all that every one of our targets is on tour. Load of s****.

Add in Pardews comments about injuries to Guthrie and Ferguson  Its OK, we can cope, but if we lost another two, then it wont be OK.

I wouldnt say were on a knife-edge with injuries, but our squad isnt particularly big.

You can see where this is going.  Time  and time again.  No doubt the apologists will say wait until January.

So Pardew is openly saying our squad is a bit thin but this is obviously a sign that we won't buy anyone? :lol:

Not saying we will btw but those comments aren't exactly designed to comfort the masses are they?

Guest Mantis

When we get back from the tour there'll be what, about 3 weeks before the start of the season?

Just one lame excuse after the other. I don't accept at all that every one of our targets is on tour. Load of s****.

Add in Pardews comments about injuries to Guthrie and Ferguson  “It’s OK, we can cope, but if we lost another two, then it won’t be OK.

“I wouldn’t say we’re on a knife-edge with injuries, but our squad isn’t particularly big.”

You can see where this is going.  Time  and time again.  No doubt the apologists will say wait until January.

So Pardew is openly saying our squad is a bit thin but this is obviously a sign that we won't buy anyone? :lol:

Not saying we will btw but those comments aren't exactly designed to comfort the masses are they?

Where was it said they wont buy anyone?

Guest Mantis

I was on about the squad being too small or more importantly, short of able senior pro's.  I expect to see a couple arrive and a couple leave before end of August, leaving the squad still short.  No doubt some will be happy to wait until 31st January again to judge our transfers. 

Guest Hong Kong Phooey

The squad is big enough.  We have 28 players overs the age of 21.

It's just we are unbalanced and have a lack of quality.

Can't remember who said it but it's appalling given the cash windfall that we got for Carroll, we will be only a few easy injuries away from having to rely on the likes of Shola, Lovenkrands, Guthrie, Ryan Taylor. Plus god knows what we'll do if we have problems with our five senior defenders.

There's absolutely no excuse for it this year. This week it's the laughable "our targets are all on tour", next week will be "we're still finding our feet again after the States and concentrating on Leeds" and after that it will be "it's a sellers market near the end of the window and we're determined not to be held to ransom."

It's lack of quality in depth rather than quantity. Fingers crossed this time next year there'll have been no more extensions to Lovenkrands, Ameobi & Smith so that's 3 free spaces (unless someone's daft enough to buy them now).

Guest BooBoo

Agreed in general Le Nut, although we're alarming short of cover at the back. It seems inevitable that Jose will go, leaving us with no left backs bar the raw (and now injured) Ferguson. We may buy a replacement but we'll certainly not buy two meaning for the third or forth year in a row we have no real cover at left back. Its farcical that this has been the case for so long. Right back cover is basically Ryan Taylor or Steven Taylor, neither of whom excel in that role. In the middle we have a pool of three seniors and then its unproven youngsters like Kadar and Tav.

If we go into the season with these defensive options we'll simply be asking for trouble and other than the Neil Taylor saga, we've not really been linked with moves for too many defenders.

Agreed in general Le Nut, although we're alarming short of cover at the back. It seems inevitable that Jose will go, leaving us with no left backs bar the raw (and now injured) Ferguson. We may buy a replacement but we'll certainly not buy two meaning for the third or forth year in a row we have no real cover at left back. Its farcical that this has been the case for so long. Right back cover is basically Ryan Taylor or Steven Taylor, neither of whom excel in that role. In the middle we have a pool of three seniors and then its unproven youngsters like Kadar and Tav.

If we go into the season with these defensive options we'll simply be asking for trouble and other than the Neil Taylor saga, we've not really been linked with moves for too many defenders.

Again though, it's that thing where we'll have to offload some of the crap before we can add. We're not in a position to have 28-30 senior players where people like R.Taylor & Smith are on the books but not registered picking up £300k a month between them, so we have to get rid of them before we buy. At the moment players we'd have to register are...

Harper, Krul, Forster, Simpson, Perch,  R.Taylor, Enrique, Williamson, S.Taylor, Coloccini, Jonas, Marveaux, Routledge, Guthrie, Barton, Smith, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Ba, Ameobi, Lovenkrands, Best, Xisco.

That's 24 names, Routledge has gone pretty much which takes it to 23, which ties in with us wanting 2 more players. The only way we can physically add anymore quality is if the likes of Xisco, Smith, Perch, etc. somehow find a buyer, or by signing kids who we don't have to register.

Guest BooBoo

Hmm, can we not just round the deadwood up and then dump them in the wilderness?

Joking apart, I appreciate the situation. We have too much unwanted not-up-to-it dross. It's unlikely players like Loven, Perch, Xisco and Smith are going to have a host of suitors meaning we're stuck with them till they wind their contracts down.

Teams at the top end of the Championship could do a lot worse than Lovenkrands. He's on peanuts too.

If he stays, he's pretty much 3rd-4th choice here by default, I'm sure he'd rather take one more season here even if he only gets 10 games max, before dropping back down a league when he's a free agent.

Guest Hong Kong Phooey

Some missing there?

Those were the over 21s that need registered that I could think of.

Sorry maybe the timings of when turning 21 starts.

We have:

Kadar

Gosling

Soderberg

Zamblera

3 prob won't play but we are paying them

Teams at the top end of the Championship could do a lot worse than Lovenkrands. He's on peanuts too.

What's he on? £20k a week at least is my guess. That's not peanuts for most Championship teams.

What's he on? £20k a week at least is my guess. That's not peanuts for most Championship teams.

He's on £8k. Not sure why you'd think a Championship free would be on £20k minimum. ???

If he stays, he's pretty much 3rd-4th choice here by default, I'm sure he'd rather take one more season here even if he only gets 10 games max, before dropping back down a league when he's a free agent.

He is definitely happy here and where he is, sure he would prefer to be starting but I think he knows at his age and with who is around him he will only ever be bench or emergency material. I am happy to have him there at the moment too.

Think Nut called it, but I am sure he will also be happy sticking around where he is settled, think we will push him out next summer.

Guest palnese

Let's face it - we don't know what the players earn. We can speculate all day long, but we haven't got a clue.

He's on £8k. Not sure why you'd think a Championship free would be on £20k. ???

I'm not privy to players contract deals so I go off what is reported in the media. If he's on £8k only maybe the lack of interest from other clubs is due to agent signing fees?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd imagine about 10k. Can't see it being as high as 20 in all honesty.

Let's face it - we don't know what the players earn. We can speculate all day long, but we haven't got a clue.

Unless they've been means tested in court. Saying that, I'm not sure if the £8k figure is before or after tax, probably after so Matt could be accurate, Otter will know.