World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Final home warm up friendly for Australia resulted in a 2-1 over New Zealand - but it was a performance that won't keep Germany, Serbia or Ghana awake at night. Match report at http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1003492/Holman-wins-it-for-Socceroos - if you're bored have a look at the comments at the end - seems I wasn't the only one to think we were dismal!

We were woeful but that is nothing new.

Guest Stephen927

Green, Johnson, Baines, Ferdinand, King, Walcott, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Crouch, Rooney

Green, Johnson, Baines, Ferdinand, King, Walcott, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Crouch, Rooney

Hmm. That looks shockingly balanced as a side. Far too balanced for an England team.

Guest Geordiesned

Keefaz, Chiles quit the BEEB last month and signed a contract with ITV and is fronting their World Cup coverage.

RIO FERDINAND INTERVIEWS WAYNE ROONEY

RIO: The big question that everyone will be asking: Can England win the World Cup?

ROO: I think we can. Yeah, we've got a good chance. Get some players back who've been out for a while (laughs at Rio) then we should have a great chance! We have got some players who can win games for us and that's important. You look at Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Jermain Defoe, they can all win a game for you so, hopefully, our big players will perform there.

We've definitely got the quality, we've got the players and the manager has been brilliant, so everything is there for us. It's set for us to do something special there.

RIO: What other teams do you think have a good chance of winning the trophy over in South Africa?

ROO: Spain, Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina - there are a lot of teams. It's about performing at your best and getting a bit of luck as well.

RIO: Who are you most looking forward to seeing at the World Cup?

ROO: Lionel Messi. He's unbelievable. In my eyes he's up there. Him and Maradona are the best two ever.

RIO: I thought you were going to say Messi's the best. I have to say Maradona. Until Messi wins the World Cup he won't be - but he has got a few years to win it yet. So who would you have in your team out of Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo if you could only pick one?

ROO: I don't think Roni is going to be too happy with the answer. Lionel Messi. Over the last two years Messi has taken the game, excitement and entertainment to another level. Ronaldo is a world-class player, I have played with him and, rightly so, he was named World Player of the Year - but I think this year Messi has taken it to a different level.

RIO: Who's the best player you've ever played with at England or Manchester United?

ROO: (Laughs at Rio) You're probably the best defender. It's difficult because there are so many great players. Stevie Gerrard is a great player, Paul Scholes for United, but I'd have to say Ronaldo for what he did for us the season we won the Champions League. He scored 42 goals.

RIO: Who did Wayne Rooney most look up to as a kid? Who did you want to be when you were playing in the park?

ROO: There were a few. Shearer and Gazza were the main two. Then, a bit later, Michael Owen. When he scored his goal against Argentina he was the most exciting player in world football and I remember trying to pretend I was him in the streets. So I've been quite lucky to play with him.

RIO: Was his goal against Argentina your first World Cup memory?

ROO: No, 1994, when the Republic of Ireland's Ray Houghton scored a chip against Italy. I don't know why I always remember that, but that was the only thing I remember from that World Cup.

RIO: You play loads of computer games and you're the face of the FIFA one but, when you are playing a game, who is your team and who is your main player?

ROO: I always go United and I'm probably my main player! Or Nani as well for some reason.

RIO: So are you online a lot?

ROO: All the time.

RIO: Even though you've got a family now?

ROO: Obviously I've had to limit it a bit - but when the baby is in bed I tend to go on it a lot and I'm on it most nights.

RIO: Where are you in the standings?

ROO: I must be top, must be.

RIO: How do you deal with the celebrity lifestyle that comes with being a footballer?

ROO: Sometimes it is hard if you just want to go for a night out or you want to do things that normal people do so, to be honest, I don't really go out as much as I used to. Obviously, I have the privileges and I can do things some people can't do, but I don't really live like a celebrity. Far from it.

RIO: You don't do the red carpet stuff. But people think you are at the opening of an envelope, or a nightclub, you are going to premieres and stuff...

ROO: No, no. I finish training, go home and I'm in the house seven days a week unless there's a special occasion.

RIO: Who have you ever been star-struck by?

ROO: Mike Tyson. Growing up, I loved him. He was my idol.

RIO: Where did you meet him?

ROO: In Manchester. I was lucky enough to have a meal with him. I sat next to him but, for some reason, he hit me with a few body shots and I was like: 'All right, you can stop now!' But in my eyes he is the best boxer of all time.

RIO: Is it true Noel Gallagher sent you a guitar for your birthday?

ROO: Yeah, he did. Colleen asked him. I'm a big fan of Oasis, she bought the guitar and then sent it to them to sign for my birthday. I was happy with the guitar he gave me but a bit disappointed with his comments afterwards. He said I gave it away to charity but I've still got it in the house.

RIO: How would you sum up your Manchester United career so far?

ROO: Yeah, it's been good. We've won quite a few trophies over the last few years and been to two European Cup finals, won three league titles and the Carling Cup, so I'm just waiting on the FA Cup and, hopefully, that will come before too long. But, yeah, it's been good, I've enjoyed it.

RIO: How do you think you have done this season?

ROO: I think I've done all right. It's probably my most prolific season. I've scored a lot of goals, I've played up front a lot of the time and I think that's the main reason.

RIO: With Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez leaving last summer, a lot of goals went out of the team. How do you deal with the extra burden?

ROO: It's difficult to lose those two players. They are two world-class players so I knew I had to score more goals than I had done, but I have managed to do so and the midfield players have chipped in with a lot of goals. Dimitar (Berbatov) has scored a few, Michael Owen has scored a few so the goals have been spread out amongst the team a lot more.

RIO: Did the managers at United or England have anything to do with you scoring more goals in the way that you play?

ROO: Sir Alex Ferguson sat me down before the season and said he wanted me in the box more, to score more goals inside the box, more headed goals, and I've managed to do that. Working on it in training has obviously benefited me.

RIO: How many headed goals have you got this season?

ROO: 10.

RIO: What's been your best Manchester United goal this season?

ROO: Not sure, there have been a few (chuckles). Probably Arsenal away.

RIO: Yeah, that was a great goal.

ROO: It was a good team goal, good counter-attacking. Nani played it through to me, I'd made a long run and managed to finish it off so it's been my most pleasing goal.

RIO: What's been your most important goal? Man City?

ROO: Yes, definitely. Last minute, Carling Cup semi-final, it was a massive game, a lot of pride at stake and it looked like it was going into extra time and I managed to score a header so I was delighted.

RIO: What's your favourite Man United goal of your whole career so far?

ROO: I think my best one was against Newcastle, my volley. I was arguing with the ref, trying to get Shearer booked and the ball dropped. I was about 25 yards out and I just hit it as hard as I could and it went into the top corner.

RIO: For any aspiring young footballer, what advice would you give them to become a top player?

ROO: Just practice. When I was growing up I practised nearly every day. The times I didn't have training I'd be on the street playing. Listen to your coaches and work hard and if you want it enough and you practice enough you will give yourself every chance to fulfil your dream.

I know most people don't care, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine: Pedro given #2 in the Spanish squad. A forward playing with a fullback jersey  :jesuswept:

No man, bring it up, I've mentioned my petty annoyance at this kind of thing before.

I like to see players wearing traditional numbering. When I see a CB like Gallas sporting the #10, it grates on me no end. The only time I can accept irregular numbering, is when star players sport really large numbers - for example I love the fact that Cassano childishly wears #99.

Guest carlie

Argentina played Canada last night and won 5-0. From what I can tell, Maradona had Gutierrez playing wingback, now thats attacking-minded football  O0

Scott McDonald dropped from the Australian World Cup squad as Pim Verbeek trims from 31 to 28. Glad to see Pim has a similar opinion of Scotty Mac as myself!

Also dropped were Crystal Palace "star" Nick Carle and Chinese based Jade North.

I know most people don't care, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine: Pedro given #2 in the Spanish squad. A forward playing with a fullback jersey  :jesuswept:

Poor that like. Poor squad numbering really grinds my gears.

Poor that like. Poor squad numbering really grinds my gears.

I vaguely remember Paul Ince wearing number 9 for the smoggies before...

Guest palnese

1 – CASILLAS

2 – PEDRO

3 – PIQUE

4 – MARCHENA

5 – PUYOL

6 – INIESTA

7 – VILLA

8 – XAVI

9 – TORRES

10 – FÀBREGAS

11 – CAPDEVILA

12 – VALDÉS

13 – MATA

14 – ALONSO

15 – RAMOS

16 – BUSQUETS

17 – ARBELOA

18 – ALBIOL

19 – LLORENTE

20 – JAVI MARTINEZ

21 – SILVA

22 – NAVAS

23 – REINA

What's up with Xavi and Iniesta changing numbers at international level?

Capdevilla #11. Would swap his and Pedro's number.