World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

To the massive spackas who don't want Heskey in based solely on his goalscoring record: in case you were too busy researching statistics to watch any games, he's the only England striker to have formed anything like a decent partnership with Rooney. Even if you don't want him to start (which I can understand but disagree with for the time being) surely that has to confirm his value to the squad even if only as a plan b.

And for those who do love their stats...Rooney has 9 goals for England in the last 10 he's played with Heskey and 2 in the last 10 he's played without him.

Fwiw I'd take Bent too.

:lol: I am completely of the opinion that against decent opposition, Heskey will be a completely pointless entity.

Guest neesy111

To the massive spackas who don't want Heskey in based solely on his goalscoring record: in case you were too busy researching statistics to watch any games, he's the only England striker to have formed anything like a decent partnership with Rooney. Even if you don't want him to start (which I can understand but disagree with for the time being) surely that has to confirm his value to the squad even if only as a plan b.

And for those who do love their stats...Rooney has 9 goals for England in the last 10 he's played with Heskey and 2 in the last 10 he's played without him.

Fwiw I'd take Bent too.

As said earlier, who ever come's in for heskey has been scoring goals i.e. crouch, defoe have all scored when they have played instead of heskey!

strikers are judged by goals, not assists

Guest neesy111

Fwiw I'd take Bent too.

:lol: I am completely of the opinion that against decent opposition, Heskey will be a completely pointless entity.

this

Did you read the rest of the post? If we want to go two up front, Heskey is Rooney's best partner. He won't get many goals individually but the team does. Has to be in the squad.

I'd rather have the best out of Rooney (i.e. play Heskey) than have an international non-entity (Bent) in there. Whether Bent should have had more of a chance in earlier games is another matter but the World Cup is not the place to fuck around.

However, I'd have taken Adam Johnson, which probably makes me a hypocrite - but he's the only left footed winger in the 30 and I think that'd be quite useful :lol:  I'm also happy that SWP and J Cole are going ahead of Walcott, sense IMO.

Fwiw I'd take Bent too.

Exactly, it's not like Heskey even uses what he has well, or intelligently. A half decent defender will know exactly what to do to nullify him. He looks alright against these shocking eastern European sides but up against anyone past the group stage he'll struggle.

Leaving Walcott out is a joke of a decision.

Why?

Johnson is a better option on the left.

Joe Cole is a better option off the bench.

Aaron Lennon has a better end product and equal pace.

SWP has the pace of Walcott, and perhaps a better end product.

Walcott is Mr. Pace, and when he can't be bothered he falls on the floor.

I am not sure who i would have in the squad tbh but i would say that Walcott is faster than both those players, though i can see what you're saying that he doesn't have an end product but neither does SWP realy and because i havent seen a lot of prem football this season i cant say a great deal about Lennon's either but from what i have been told he also lacks an end product

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Joe Cole is in the squad!

Happy with that, he's probably my favourite England player over the last 4 years. Just a different class of player, and the closest to Peter Beardsley we'll get!

Why?

I am not sure who i would have in the squad tbh but i would say that Walcott is faster than both those players, though i can see what you're saying that he doesn't have an end product but neither does SWP realy and because i havent seen a lot of prem football this season i cant say a great deal about Lennon's either but from what i have been told he also lacks an end product

Lennon's improved his end product a lot this season, so hopefully it continues, but it was generally terrible before that. Walcott is probably the fastest of all the players mentioned, but he doesn't use it right. Runs into blind corridors, never looks up, I just don't get the appeal that some people have for him.

Guest neesy111

Did you read the rest of the post? If we want to go two up front, Heskey is Rooney's best partner. He won't get many goals individually but the team does. Has to be in the squad.

no, it say's rooney score's more goals, i seem to remember when defoe came in for heskey at start of season scoring quite a few goals

Guest palnese

No natural LW but three/four RWs - surely Johnson offers more than SWP.

Can't believe Capello doesn't take Johnson. England have struggled to find a natural LW for 15 years now, and now you've got one, and he doesn't make it. :idiot2:

Green, Hart, James

Johnson, Baines, A Cole, Carragher, Terry, Ferdinand, King

Milner, SWP, Lennon, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Carrick, J Cole

Rooney, Crouch, Heskey, Defoe

+ either Huddlestone or Upson.

Can't see it being anything other than that tbh

no, it say's rooney score's more goals, i seem to remember when defoe came in for heskey at start of season scoring quite a few goals

Is that even in English? As a team we've been much better with Heskey playing than without since Fabio came in. He's essential to the squad and team even if he is a little bit shit, plus he provides a different option.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm not buying that Johnson rumour yet. I refuse to believe.

I don't get it. He's a natural orthodox left footed left winger, he'd have won Britain's Got Talent if he auditioned 10 years ago. We finally get a left winger and he's sent home, not even taken as an option/learning experience. If Tom Huddlestone gets the nod a head of Johnson I'll be really disappointed.

Joe Cole is in the squad!

Happy with that, he's probably my favourite England player over the last 4 years. Just a different class of player, and the closest to Peter Beardsley we'll get!

Why?

Lennon's improved his end product a lot this season, so hopefully it continues, but it was generally terrible before that. Walcott is probably the fastest of all the players mentioned, but he doesn't use it right. Runs into blind corridors, never looks up, I just don't get the appeal that some people have for him.

It is because when he is good he is brilliant, imo, though i agree he doesn,t use his pace right often enough but imo his problem is consistency because on his day he can tear trams apart.