Why I can't be bothered with England in the world cup.

Guest thenorthumbrian

The so-called "fairweather" fans are the best fucking thing about the world cup. How can you not like everybody in the country being as footy-mad as you are for two whole weeks?

The unifying passion that the WC elicits is one of the most amazing things in our world IMO. It's bigger than just football.

Guest firetotheworks

It's the best thing in the world when you're on your own with a taxi driver.

Guest firetotheworks

It's the best thing in the world when you're on your own with a taxi driver.

Nowt better then being trapped in a metal box, listening to extreme racism, while hurtling at 85mph.

In a world where stereotypes are true, aye.

The mass euphoria of a nation is one of the best things about the world cup. Who gives a shit weather they like football week in week out or not, for me, seeing the whole country truly unite for whatever the cause is simply fantastic.

Only read the OP and whilst I can agree with the sentiments - to me that's like saying we shouldn't be proud of being British, because essentially we're just a bunch of Roman, Viking, Anglo-Saxon Normans (probably without mentioning others) and all in all being British is being nothing of our own right and simply nothing but the left overs and scraps of numerous empires from all across Europe.

Furthermore, this would also mean we probably shouldnt really be proud of being from Newcastle or Northumbria because we're not all truelly from here, and just to be a cock maybe we should all support African countries because we're probably all from there if you go back far enough.

We're British, and we're English, and we have a proud history. A one many hav fought and died for - and despite our footballing nation being represented by 'London FC' which I agree with, we have a right to make it our own and be proud of it.

If we celebrated St Georges Day like it should be, maybe this slightly more cringeworthy World Cup Hype wouldn't occur as much, and what's different from us and the rest of the world? World Cup fever for as long as I can remember is something which grips and unites the world with one common happiness, and that's what's special about it.

Anyhoo...shame Scotland aren't in it, as a side point.

Howay the Land of Hope and Glory :D