Why I can't be bothered with England in the world cup.

Guest thenorthumbrian

World Cups are always a great time, who bloody cares if non football fans show an interest for a few weeks. Most of the country do something similar with tennis every Wimbledon fortnight.

Can't be doing with the perma misery party poopers. Smile now and again, you might like it.

:thup:

I actually like the fact that everyone gets into it.

I'm an ex pat, I've lived in 4 different countries, I now reside, probably for my last stop in Canada. So perhaps you could quite easily say I've given up on my country. But tbh the quite opposite is true, I'm still very proud to be English and of course a Geordie. The England team though for whatever reason has failed to instil any passion in me outside of the major tournaments. I will be cheering them on though in the summer and hope they win it. The World cup is a special event, that outweighes my indifference to intrernational football.

And those people who normally never watch football will be filling the pubs with their brand new England tops and ridiculous painted faces.

Never understood this viewpoint. 

So what if some people don't usually watch football but enjoy the WC.  It's a time for the whole country to unite, have a good time and enjoy the atmosphere.  Maybe if you got off your high horse you could enjoy yourself aswell.

I don't want to understand that kind of viewpoint tbh, it's ridiculous.

And those people who normally never watch football will be filling the pubs with their brand new England tops and ridiculous painted faces.

Never understood this viewpoint. 

So what if some people don't usually watch football but enjoy the WC.  It's a time for the whole country to unite, have a good time and enjoy the atmosphere.  Maybe if you got off your high horse you could enjoy yourself aswell.

I sort of get the point. I've no problem with people who don't normally watch football going to the pub and supporting England, my problem is when these idiots try and tell me the finer points and qualities of the game and the players based on the first 15 minutes of football they've seen in 4 years.

I love international tournaments, but never support any team (well, Wales, but they've not qualified for anything in my lifetime).  It's just a great excuse to drink lots of beer, watch lots of football, and lose all your money at the bookies.

I'm really excited about the World Cup. I think people have been quite calm about England this year which is great.  Nobody I know is screaming "ooh we could win this one" as much as they used to, people are more realistic.  Think Spain will still be the team most likely to win it.

England being knocked out is all too regular now, I was angry in 06 after being upset in 04, 02, 00 and 98, was on holiday in oz in 96. But not qualifying for 08 sort of quelled my expectations. I don't expect England to win it, but I will enjoy the ride anyway and watch as many games as possible.

Love the International football tournaments - even World Cup 94 and Euro 06 when we failed to qualify.  If we don't get there follow someone else.  Just enjoy the football.

World Cup 02 was one of my favourites.  They got a telly license at work and showed any of the daytime matches.  All you had to do was redirect your desk phone to your mobile and put a couple of quid in the charity sweetie box. Great fun.

WC is the best International tournament in the world - bar none.

Always enjoy watching it but not every tournament is as good as the last - this doesn't really depend on whether England do well or not, but it helps ; Mexico 86 was excellent, some great matches even though we got knocked out by the infamous Argie hand. There are always some surprises...

Trouble is that England are the International equivalent of NUFC - raucous over-confident fans buoyed up by local media hype with players who think they are better than they are, then the big let-down when it comes to the big occasion - esp if it happens to involve pens..!

Hated the whole set up when Sven was(supposedly)in charge, but the ghastly WAG camp-followers were the centre-piece of the whole pantomime.

When we won in '66 and played well in Mexico 70 but lost, everyone was behind the side because in those days the players were part of a disciplined outfit and were capable of beating most teams - today the likes of 'The Sun' and other down-market media have turned it into a sleazy carnival, but at least Capello has brought proper discipline and focus to the side and I think they may at least perform as if they mean it this time.

Inevitably, there will be controversy - I expect the refs to bend over backwards to ensure the South Africans stay in until at least the QFs...for a variety of reasons but mainly for the money created by spectator interest...remember S.Korea !??

Reckon we should get to QFs with a bit of luck and no major injuries because there is no stand-out candidate - even Brazil are a bit of an unknown this time.

People who may not engage with football regularly, support England in the WC = "Shit! I must make an anti-England opinion known and feel important and against the popular opinion!"

Fuck off. Support your country in what is a fantastic football tournament.

People who may not engage with football regularly, support England in the WC = "s***! I must make an anti-England opinion known and feel important and against the popular opinion!"

f*** off. Support your country in what is a fantastic football tournament.

people do it all the time for other things  ie rugby world cup, wimbledon, the ashes, cycling in the olympics etc.

This thread hasn't half gone tits up for the OP like :lol:

I agree. The OP is a miserable bastard on this issue tbh. The WC is mint and the way the whole country changes and goes England mad for a couple of weeks is fantastic tbh.

Fuck off to jockland if you don't like it ffs.

Firstly its the way over-the-top hype which surrounds in-ger-land in the media and people who clagg tacky little flags (pure tat made in China, no doubt) to their cars by way of proving how patriotic they really puts me off.

And then you have got players like rat boy Terry, Gerrard, Cashley, and in particular Rooney the granny shagging, diving cheat, who swears and shouts in the face of any ref who ever gives a decision against him, playing for the country I must say its hard to support us.

The fact that in-ger-land only ever play in London now doesn't help (why not change their name to London United)

And the 3 Lions symbol was nicked from Richard the Lionheart, a gay French tyrant who couldn't even speak English and hardly spent any time here  :no:

I won't shed any tears when In-ger-land get knocked out of the tournament in the Q/F ! :razz:

You forgot to mention the wind-up merchant who likes to get everyone going by starting threads about £60 million transfer profits and wanting England to lose.  ;)

But it just dosent hurt when they lose, i cant pretend otherwise.

no doubt a wind up thread but this sums up my feelings perfectly, it's not that i don't care at all but when they lose i just don't give a fuck

as much as i hate the way he carries on for mu i want to see rooney have the storming tournament he has in him which will take england close if he manages that (feel the same way about messi on that front actually, nothing worse than great players limping out of tournaments for whatever reason)