Report: Alan Smith to leave NUFC in January?

Thespence

Was arguing with somebody the other day. I said to him I think Smith is the worst player I've ever seen in an NUFC shirt. He thought I was an idiot.

Thoughts?

Definitely not true. Mediocre player who gives his all. We've had rubbish players who gave nothing.

Guivarc'h and Luque actually scored more than zero goals for us. So argument ended for that one

But they were strikers. Smith definitely has been better than Luque, he has had the odd good game, unlike Luque.

He's a lot worse than mediocre, man. Tell me the last good game he had, too.

Decent against Wolves away I think. Was alright in the Villa humping.

Owen was just f***ing dispicable for the majority of his time here. Even in early 07/08 - i recall him coming on and scoring against Wigan late on. Then cupping his ears to the supporters cos he thought they'd booed him (when infact they were just booing the substitution of Martins). I mean wtf? I'm not saying there was always an underlying vendetta between Owen and the fans, but what's for certain is that he was never, ever right for this club. From the forced smiles infront of the Leazes till his last moments at Villa Park.

His performances in his final half-season, after everything the club had rewarded him with... a colossal wage packet, a way back into English football, the club captaincy, an injury table... were f***ing pathetic. He still and will always owe us. Little f***ing c***.

didnt Martins set up Owen in the wigan game?

The booing was in the Everton game I believe.

Michael Owen brought with him loads of sponsorship £millions for the club as well as loads of replica shirt sales — which one of the main reasons FS wanted someone of his profile.

Something that Smith could never do, except for MA’s XXXL shirts, that he probably never paid for anyway.

Match receipts went up £1.5 million the season we signed Owen, that was mainly, if not totally down to playing 3 games more than the season before.  Sponsorship went up by £100,000 at a time when we had those extra games and TV money was down £6 million.  Branded product sales which will include replica shirt sales was down £400,000.

Michael Owen brought with him loads of sponsorship £millions for the club as well as loads of replica shirt sales — which one of the main reasons FS wanted someone of his profile.

Something that Smith could never do, except for MA’s XXXL shirts, that he probably never paid for anyway.

Match receipts went up £1.5 million the season we signed Owen, that was mainly, if not totally down to playing 3 games more than the season before.  Sponsorship went up by £100,000 at a time when we had those extra games and TV money was down £6 million.  Branded product sales which will include replica shirt sales was down £400,000.

Burn.

Guest Mucky01

Match receipts went up £1.5 million the season we signed Owen, that was mainly, if not totally down to playing 3 games more than the season before. Sponsorship went up by £100,000 at a time when we had those extra games and TV money was down £6 million. Branded product sales which will include replica shirt sales was down £400,000.

WTF, what that proves is you like stats but don’t have any common sense!... Accountant?

Are you trying to tell me that Michael Owen’s profile as an international sports star didn’t bring in any sponsorship money? and the Northern Rock money that paid for his signing on fee didn’t really happen and that NR (and many others) didn’t use him as their main poster boy?

A players costs of salaries and transfer fees have to be offset by how much other revenues they bring in. David Beckham is a prime example of this, unless you think his only worth is his football abilities and not sponsorship profile?

Far from saying that MO payed for himself, but he did have value commercially — more than any other player on the books other than Shearer who was on his last season and his commercial value needed replacing.

The clubs revenues are never the same one year to the next, replica shirt sales are on a 2 year loop, TV money on a 5 year loop and (1 year at a time in European competitions), the many other sponsorship deals (that we use to have) can be a one year deal or up to a 10 year deals (adidas).

MO’s commercial worth cannot be dismissed or even proven by quoting the previous seasons accounts.

WTF, what that proves is you like stats but dont have any common sense!... Accountant?

Are you trying to tell me that Michael Owens profile as an international sports star didnt bring in any sponsorship money? and the Northern Rock money that paid for his signing on fee didnt really happen and that NR (and many others) didnt use him as their main poster boy?

A players costs of salaries and transfer fees have to be offset by how much other revenues they bring in. David Beckham is a prime example of this, unless you think his only worth is his football abilities and not sponsorship profile?

Far from saying that MO payed for himself, but he did have value commercially more than any other player on the books other than Shearer who was on his last season and his commercial value needed replacing.

The clubs revenues are never the same one year to the next, replica shirt sales are on a 2 year loop, TV money on a 5 year loop and (1 year at a time in European competitions), the many other sponsorship deals (that we use to have) can be a one year deal or up to a 10 year deals (adidas).

MOs commercial worth cannot be dismissed or even proven by quoting the previous seasons accounts.

You made the claim that Michael Owen brought with him loads of sponsorship £millions for the club as well as loads of replica shirt sales, where's your proof?  As for Northern Rock, the only tie in with him and them is that the money which was coming in from them went on him.  I have seen nothing to suggest that they sponsored us because of him and as they are a local company I can see plenty of reason why they would sponsor us anyway.

Guest Mucky01

Michael Owen, did bring in loads of commercial money, and I don’t need to prove it. You couldn’t buy a footy computer game at time without him wearing a toon shirt on it. MO was all over the place being the poster boy all over the place too. He was England’s centre forward! Him being photographed in a NUFC shirt brought exposure to the clubs sponsors and thus brings commercial value to the club too.

Where were you at the time?... thumbing through annual reports oblivious to the world?

Do you not recognise that certain players (including MO) have commercial value? or do you really need proof???

MO was signed buy NUFC with a clear understanding that he had commercial value, but you disagree and need proof!!!

I used an example of David Beckham to prove that players have a commercial worth, but you need proof!!!

oh dear.

Michael Owen, did bring in loads of commercial money, and I dont need to prove it. You couldnt buy a footy computer game at time without him wearing a toon shirt on it. MO was all over the place being the poster boy all over the place, too. He was Englands centre forward! Him being photographed in a NUFC shirt brought exposure to the clubs sponsors and thus brings commercial value to the club too.

Where were you at the time?... thumbing through annual reports oblivious to the world?

Do you not recognise that certain players (including MO) have commercial value? or do you really need proof???

MO was signed buy NUFC with a clear understanding that he had commercial value, but you disagree and need proof!!!

oh dear.

You're the one making claims which don't add up.  I agree that he had a commercial value, I just don't think that it was as high as you seem to think.  I didn't make a claim tying Michael Owen to the Northern Rock deal which was signed a year before he arrived at the club, us using that money isn’t a positive as far as I’m concerned and had nothing to do with the sponsor. 

• 2 months later...
Guest GeordieBatistuta

I'll be honest, i forgot he played for us! :lol:

I had to go to the beginning of March to find his thread :lol:

My step-dad was the same. I had a full blown argument with him because I thought he was taking the piss when he kept going "Who the fuck is Alan Smith?" :lol:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

when is his contract up? one more season? it's gonna be sweet relief when he goes, like when butt finally fucked off. ahh, great days.

Aye, five year deal in 2007

My step-dad was the same. I had a full blown argument with him because I thought he was taking the piss when he kept going "Who the fuck is Alan Smith?" :lol:

Hahaahaha!!

when is his contract up? one more season? it's gonna be sweet relief when he goes, like when butt finally fucked off. ahh, great days.

Summer 2012. The same as Guthrie.

Will be great to see the pair of shithouses shown the door.

Alzheimer's no laughing matter

Guest michaelfoster

My step-dad was the same. I had a full blown argument with him because I thought he was taking the p*ss when he kept going "Who the f*** is Alan Smith?" :lol:

Alzheimer's no laughing matter

I wouldn't tell him that though he will probaly forget