FA Coaching Badges

Ash

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What do you have to do for level 2? doing fuck all with my life atm. how long does it take?

About 6 months of coaching.

No worries.

I got really annoyed when I first read the email as I orginially thought it listed needing to coach in Tier 6 and above as a prerequisite but obviously that was wrong. I'm with you, probably too soon but it's something I'd like to do in 2013. Hoping to do my Level 2 assessment early next year, get Uni out of the way and then crack on with the UEFA B.

Glad to see it's back locally too. :thup:

I have to wait till 2013 anyway :/

Got to be 20 ffs :lol:

Shame they don't do it on height. :laugh:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Been thinking lately about how I coach. Wondering if I'm being too broad with ideas and coaching with younger players. Exposing them to too many different philosophies, rather than just one or two. Short passing game/retention of the ball. Get the ball forward. Use the width. Shoot when you can. Is it better to expose young players (lets say 7-9 year olds) to many different aspects of the game, or to concentrate on one or two ideas?

In comparison with the U11s I coach, I tend to find that together we're sort of leaning towards a certain style. One that fits them and that I can agree with. However, if I was to sit back and think about my coaching I'm not really grounded in one area. Have you guys sat down and thought 'This is how I want my teams to play' and built coaching sessions around it, or are you reactive coaching? Seeing faults during games and building session plans around those areas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking into coaching in america this summer.  the only recruitment day I can go to is in Bristol, which I cant really be fucked for when there's every chance i dont get accepted. Apparently if I give a really good session i got a good chance of being accepted. got my level 1 but havent really done anything with it.

anyone done something  like this before that knows what would consist of an "excellent session"

Been thinking lately about how I coach. Wondering if I'm being too broad with ideas and coaching with younger players. Exposing them to too many different philosophies, rather than just one or two. Short passing game/retention of the ball. Get the ball forward. Use the width. Shoot when you can. Is it better to expose young players (lets say 7-9 year olds) to many different aspects of the game, or to concentrate on one or two ideas?

In comparison with the U11s I coach, I tend to find that together we're sort of leaning towards a certain style. One that fits them and that I can agree with. However, if I was to sit back and think about my coaching I'm not really grounded in one area. Have you guys sat down and thought 'This is how I want my teams to play' and built coaching sessions around it, or are you reactive coaching? Seeing faults during games and building session plans around those areas?

The players that you have will determine what philosophy you take.

But in my opinion that should only apply to adults when results are important. Certainly a lot more important than when the players are between the ages of 7-15 years.

I coach everyday for a living, work with players 7 years to 13 years at various development centre's that are associated with my place of work. My philosophy you have to do your best to build the individual player before the team. Individual players make a better team.

For example break your season down into 8-10 week segments and within those segments cover topics that an individual will need if they were to become a complete player. With the younger element of players for 4 of those 8 weeks we will focus on 1v1's, teaching them specific techniques that they can use in different 1v1 scenario's. The scenario's can be varied by adjusting your conditions to make sure the defender is defending a certain way. As players become older your curriculum then should become more group based, with a focus on small group possession and passing combinations as well as the role of the 2nd and 3rd attackers.

Within this whether your working with 7year olds or 14 year olds you can have a philosophy that focuses on the team. For example my teams play a short passing style simply because this allows the players to have the most touches on the ball which promotes technical development. My players are encouraged to constantly move the ball away from pressure but as the ball is traveling to them their first look and thought is Can I Play this Ball Forward? (1st principle of Attack - Penetration). This then allows them to continue technical development thus in turn allowing them to learn the game tactically. To allow this full backs and wide midfielder are encouraged to move wide to open up the field as soon as we win possession with both centre forwards going long. This opens up the middle of the field putting more emphasis on the centre midfielders to check in and take responsibility of the ball. This then over time puts the centre halfs in an environment which forces them to play out of the back rather than going direct into the channels (which is the English style at grassroots level).

If I had an job where I was working with an adult team, my philosophy would be based around how I could win games. With young players I feel the mindset should be how I can make the individual better starting with your weakest member of your group.

At every level the game is a technical based and brain centered game (players need to be switched on all of the time), you need to make your players individually technically better which will give them the confidence to make consistently better decisions thus making them want to be switched on the majority of the time. The best players in your team are the ones switched on, I believe this is because they are confident and probably the best technicians in your group.

The above is just my opinion and like with anything opinions don't make it the right way so don't shoot me down if you don't agree.

Guest Heneage

Isn't that what Wenger used to do with young players? Assess their strengths and then reposition them if they suited it better (Clichy from winger to fullback being a prime example).

Isn't that what Wenger used to do with young players? Assess their strengths and then reposition them if they suited it better (Clichy from winger to fullback being a prime example).

I think so. Its my belief that if your working with young players you build them to be comfortable in possession of the ball, don't worry about positions as they will naturally find their position when the time is right. The ability to get out of the 1v1 is massively over looked within the UK (I have worked abroad for the past 5 years). I have been back in the UK for the first time in 3 years and we haven't changed. I've took in Academy sessions as well as watching my friends sons train at grassroots. Everything is focused towards "how can the team win"..... rather than how I can make the individual better.

Generally after they have finished pubity as then the majority of their physical development has finished thus allowing you to not only access their technical and tactical development at that time but also where their physical attribute will allow them to make the most of their technical and tactical attributes.

Guest Heneage

I think so. Its my belief that if your working with young players you build them to be comfortable in possession of the ball, don't worry about positions as they will naturally find their position when the time is right. The ability to get out of the 1v1 is massively over looked within the UK (I have worked abroad for the past 5 years). I have been back in the UK for the first time in 3 years and we haven't changed. I've took in Academy sessions as well as watching my friends sons train at grassroots. Everything is focused towards "how can the team win"..... rather than how I can make the individual better.

Generally after they have finished pubity as then the majority of their physical development has finished thus allowing you to not only access their technical and tactical development at that time but also where their physical attribute will allow them to make the most of their technical and tactical attributes.

Yeah, Frank De Boer said that a player's technical development happens between 10-14 years. After that they struggle to make any real significant improvement.

Yeah, Frank De Boer said that a player's technical development happens between 10-14 years. After that they struggle to make any real significant improvement.

Spot on. 14-15 years onwards becomes more about the decision than the technical. Although I believe 10-15mins of each session at that age should continue with a certain amount of technical repetitions thus allowing the players muscle memory to stay strong and refine their current technical levels.

Guest Heneage

Spot on. 14-15 years onwards becomes more about the decision than the technical. Although I believe 10-15mins of each session at that age should continue with a certain amount of technical repetitions thus allowing the players muscle memory to stay strong and refine their current technical levels.

Sounds like you're quite high up the ladder. Good work.  :thup:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Thanks for the reply, Chris. Good read.

Since I asked that question, I've found with my younger team (u9s) that I'm pretty happy to do 2-3 weeks on 'one topic' until I'm confident they understand it. Lately we've been doing a lot of 2v2, 3v3 pairings to get the guys used to working with each other in a game situation. The first 4-5 months of this season has pretty much been on the basic, since its a team of players that have never 'played' (team football in a 'competitive' environment) before. On reflection it feels a bit silly when I think 'Is this right?' that I was doing a lot of ball work (how to pass, how to receive, how to shoot, how to run, how to dribble, etc) without doing a lot of work on working as a team.

I thought that 'that'll come in time and from playing games'. Certainly feel its made the last few weeks after returning from winter break easier, where we've been doing the partnership work. So far I feel that the mix of 'technical' and 'teamwork' coaching has been worthwhile, certainly for a grassroots u9 community team, where you'll get players that have never played football before. So I agree with what you say about it being situational depending on who you're coaching (and at what level). I have 2 players that I'd consider to be 'at another level' to the rest of the team, so what I tend to do with those guys (without making the session different), is just have a quick word in their ear and set them a challenge (can you do that with your 'other foot'? Can you take the shot first time? etc). I've also started though not sure if its 'fair' hanging back after scheduled training for 30 mins and do bit more focused training with those 2/3 players. Its not something I put in place, its something that happened naturally. As they'd hang back and practice with each other (which meant I had to stay anyway!).

It was interesting to see, as you can tell those are the guys that want to learn, and as such those are the players that are more confident and technically better.

I was at a coaching presentation last night (hosted by Coerver Coaching's Alf Galustian) and it was interesting listening to his coaching philosophy and what he concentrates on. Its very similar to what you've posted above. Teach the technical and give them all the ball mastery a player will need by the age of 15 to then focus on the mental side of the game.

I'm still a 'young' coach (20 months experience) so my mindset is still very much based around the FA's train of thought that 'The Game is the Teacher' and that building the mental side of the game is just as important as creating technical fantastic players. So to hear an experienced coach, who is very successful with what he does, explain his reasons behind focusing on technical football very early was an interesting experience.

While its not something I feel like I'd be comfortable doing at the moment there were certainly some points I took on board; such as the lack of tools I've coached my kids so far in how to actually beat another player in a 1v1 situation. So there's something I'm going to have to improve on as a coach. However, I do feel that the drills he showed were more suited for highly motivated players that want to learn, that want to improve, that want to be an elite player (lots of lines/queuing/rote repetition). He tried his best make it fun via competition, but knowing my group of players I'm not too sure that they'd find those specific drills 'fun'. Yet, despite that (and those were my only concerns with what he was saying), I did take what he was saying on board.

As a coach, I do need to improve and give my players more 'weapons' to do use in 1v1 situations. At the moment I've only shown them the basics of looking for space and accelerating into it, using a small feint to help create it. So, I feel it is time to start stepping that up and to start showing them a more ways to create space for themselves in 1v1. Yet, it was comforting to hear coaches with 20+ years of experience admit the same thing. That they were 'team' focused coaches rather than 'technical' focused.

I'm pretty excited with where I'm going with the u9s at the moment. For a team that's been together since September we're starting to play some nice football. Good mixture of running and passing. Players have became very confident in striking a ball too. We may not have won every game, or even be in the 'top league', but my satisfaction comes from seeing their improvement every week. The transformation from the majority trying to run with the ball and scoring a goal regardless of any other options, to active decision making (picking the right time to beat a man and the right time to pass to a team mate who has a better option) has been fantastic - it does seem to follow the trending of the training (started off with dribbling, then running with the ball, then shooting, and then passing). Looking back perhaps I should probably have started with shooting!

Looking forward and to next season, I think I'm going to plan more sessions based around 1v1 skill sets.

Thanks for the reply, Chris. Good read.

Since I asked that question, I've found with my younger team (u9s) that I'm pretty happy to do 2-3 weeks on 'one topic' until I'm confident they understand it. Lately we've been doing a lot of 2v2, 3v3 pairings to get the guys used to working with each other in a game situation. The first 4-5 months of this season has pretty much been on the basic, since its a team of players that have never 'played' (team football in a 'competitive' environment) before. On reflection it feels a bit silly when I think 'Is this right?' that I was doing a lot of ball work (how to pass, how to receive, how to shoot, how to run, how to dribble, etc) without doing a lot of work on working as a team.

I thought that 'that'll come in time and from playing games'. Certainly feel its made the last few weeks after returning from winter break easier, where we've been doing the partnership work. So far I feel that the mix of 'technical' and 'teamwork' coaching has been worthwhile, certainly for a grassroots u9 community team, where you'll get players that have never played football before. So I agree with what you say about it being situational depending on who you're coaching (and at what level). I have 2 players that I'd consider to be 'at another level' to the rest of the team, so what I tend to do with those guys (without making the session different), is just have a quick word in their ear and set them a challenge (can you do that with your 'other foot'? Can you take the shot first time? etc). I've also started though not sure if its 'fair' hanging back after scheduled training for 30 mins and do bit more focused training with those 2/3 players. Its not something I put in place, its something that happened naturally. As they'd hang back and practice with each other (which meant I had to stay anyway!).

It was interesting to see, as you can tell those are the guys that want to learn, and as such those are the players that are more confident and technically better.

I was at a coaching presentation last night (hosted by Coerver Coaching's Alf Galustian) and it was interesting listening to his coaching philosophy and what he concentrates on. Its very similar to what you've posted above. Teach the technical and give them all the ball mastery a player will need by the age of 15 to then focus on the mental side of the game.

I'm still a 'young' coach (20 months experience) so my mindset is still very much based around the FA's train of thought that 'The Game is the Teacher' and that building the mental side of the game is just as important as creating technical fantastic players. So to hear an experienced coach, who is very successful with what he does, explain his reasons behind focusing on technical football very early was an interesting experience.

While its not something I feel like I'd be comfortable doing at the moment there were certainly some points I took on board; such as the lack of tools I've coached my kids so far in how to actually beat another player in a 1v1 situation. So there's something I'm going to have to improve on as a coach. However, I do feel that the drills he showed were more suited for highly motivated players that want to learn, that want to improve, that want to be an elite player (lots of lines/queuing/rote repetition). He tried his best make it fun via competition, but knowing my group of players I'm not too sure that they'd find those specific drills 'fun'. Yet, despite that (and those were my only concerns with what he was saying), I did take what he was saying on board.

As a coach, I do need to improve and give my players more 'weapons' to do use in 1v1 situations. At the moment I've only shown them the basics of looking for space and accelerating into it, using a small feint to help create it. So, I feel it is time to start stepping that up and to start showing them a more ways to create space for themselves in 1v1. Yet, it was comforting to hear coaches with 20+ years of experience admit the same thing. That they were 'team' focused coaches rather than 'technical' focused.

I'm pretty excited with where I'm going with the u9s at the moment. For a team that's been together since September we're starting to play some nice football. Good mixture of running and passing. Players have became very confident in striking a ball too. We may not have won every game, or even be in the 'top league', but my satisfaction comes from seeing their improvement every week. The transformation from the majority trying to run with the ball and scoring a goal regardless of any other options, to active decision making (picking the right time to beat a man and the right time to pass to a team mate who has a better option) has been fantastic - it does seem to follow the trending of the training (started off with dribbling, then running with the ball, then shooting, and then passing). Looking back perhaps I should probably have started with shooting!

Looking forward and to next season, I think I'm going to plan more sessions based around 1v1 skill sets.

All good stuff. Your def. working towards the right path. My only advice is, don't stay too long on a particular topic. In my experience I've grown to learn that kids are a lot more intelligent than at times we give them credit for. Draw up a 10 week development plan and stick to the topics on that plan.

An example for U9's might be:

Wk1 - First touch

Wk2 - First touch

Wk3 - Moves

Wk4 - Moves

Wk5- Changes of Direction

Wk6- Changes of Direction

Wk7- Turning

Wk8- Turning

Wk9- Finishing/Striking the ball

Wk10- Finishing/Striking the ball

Good luck.