Emile Heskey

Cajun

Isn't it strange how no-one criticises Heskey when we are beating Germany 5-1, and no-one would be criticising him if England won their two first games - regardless of perfomances?

Also strange that had Heskey scored two hat tricks in both games he probably wouldn't have been criticised!! Crazy.

Isn't it strange how no-one criticises Heskey when we are beating Germany 5-1, and no-one would be criticising him if England won their two first games - regardless of perfomances?

no. it isnt strange, because when things go wrong people look for reasons, and the system which heskey is part of, and only in the team because of, is one of the reasons, imo.

It is strange really - because if Heskey is lacking the talent required to be in the squad, then surely he was lacking the talent then also. Not only this, and please correct me if I'm wrong - but wasn't 4-4-2 what we played in that particular match, and isn't that what we're playing now?

Being past it, and being shite are two different things...regardless - I don't think Heskey is either (despite not being world class).

no. it isnt strange, because when things go wrong people look for reasons, and the system which heskey is part of, and only in the team because of, is one of the reasons, imo.

It is strange really - because if Heskey is lacking the talent required to be in the squad, then surely he was lacking the talent then also. Not only this, and please correct me if I'm wrong - but wasn't 4-4-2 what we played in that particular math, and isn't that what we're playing now?

Can you really not see the difference in a player putting in a good shift 9 years ago and what they might be doing now? ???

It is strange really - because if Heskey is lacking the talent required to be in the squad, then surely he was lacking the talent then also. Not only this, and please correct me if I'm wrong - but wasn't 4-4-2 what we played in that particular math, and isn't that what we're playing now?

Can you really not see the difference in a player putting in a good shift 9 years ago and what they might be doing now? ???

Yes, I can see the difference. However, people are claiming that he is talentless and "not good enough" so if this is the case he would never had had the talent. Being talentless and having poor form are two different things.

It depends on how the team we're playing plays, it depends on the striker next to Heskey. Owen was different to Rooney.

Heskey isnt someone you expect to be effective against a side that is putting 9 men behind the ball. Hes someone who hopefully wins a ball against a high defensive line...passes it off to the midfielder who puts through the other striker. Thats about it.

He has had poor form for a while now, the fact your example was 9 years ago says a bit.

That's a matter of opinion, and in mine he was no worse than any of the other members of the squad in the last two games. Does that mean they should all be dropped? In all honesty, I don't think we have an array of goalscoring talent from England any more (with regards to strikers), and obviously Rooney is higher quality than Heskey so if one was to be dropped it would have to be big Emile. That's fair enough. I just think this criticism of Heskey and Heskey alone is somewhat ridiculous.

We have Heskey in the team to get the best out of Rooney, it isn't working, change it.

:snod: Unless we drop Rooney and try Heskey with someone else? Considering Heskey has been our best player and all....?

He has had poor form for a while now, the fact your example was 9 years ago says a bit.

That's a matter of opinion, and in mine he was no worse than any of the other members of the squad in the last two games. Does that mean they should all be dropped? In all honesty, I don't think we have an array of goalscoring talent from England any more (with regards to strikers), and obviously Rooney is higher quality than Heskey so if one was to be dropped it would have to be big Emile. That's fair enough. I just don't think this criticism of Heskey and Heskey alone is somewhat ridiculous.

You and everyone else (over 100 posts or whatever) are free to start your own thread? I just wanted someone to explain to me what I am missing with Heskey because I just can't see what he adds apart from what has been mentioned (ie taking down a ball and playing the simplest pass whilst being more impotent than my 98 year old grandad).

Once, I read an interview with emile heskey where the interviewer asked him what would he say to the people that claim that he doesn’t score enough goals. His reply was something along the lines of this-

"Those who say that I don't score enough goals have probably never kicked a ball in their life."

:harry:

That's a matter of opinion, and in mine he was no worse than any of the other members of the squad in the last two games. Does that mean they should all be dropped? In all honesty, I don't think we have an array of goalscoring talent from England any more (with regards to strikers), and obviously Rooney is higher quality than Heskey so if one was to be dropped it would have to be big Emile. That's fair enough. I just don't think this criticism of Heskey and Heskey alone is somewhat ridiculous.

You and everyone else (over 100 posts or whatever) are free to start your own thread? I just wanted someone to explain to me what I am missing with Heskey because I just can't see what he adds apart from what has been mentioned (ie taking down a ball and playing the simplest pass whilst being more impotent than my 98 year old grandad).

Tbf, that's what being a target man is, and if that's what he is supposed to be and that's what he is doing then he is doing his job.

If he is bringing in the likes of Gerrard and Lampard then surely we should have a decent goal supply, unless they can't cut it at international level because they seem to get about 40 goals a season between them?

Obviously, that is a ridiculous statement - because the latter two would be in the squad over Heskey every time, but there's still a point behind it.

What's the point of this thread? Do people really think Heskey is the reason we're doing so poorly?

definitley one of themain reasons. Did you notice england's game plan last night?!

I saw what they were doing. I'm not sure it was the gameplan, tbh.

If that's all we expect a target man to do there are a lot of English players who can do that without falling over so much. Steve Howard should have been in with a shout if all our International target man is expected to do is control a ball and lay it off to the nearest player.

I think the job of a top target man (ie Internationaly level) involves a bit more than that.

As said, the thread was in the hope someone would point out all the good work Heskey does that I had missed so if he starts on Wednesday I don't go  :frantic: unfortunately I now feel  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: about the prospect.

I just think he is so, soo limited and it's almost as if people stick up for him because we all know he is shit  :undecided: which is an odd reason.

I'd also say that despite my post earlier which basically said he hadn't tried anything therefore hadn't made any errors therefore was being seen as our best player... he has. He has missed our best chance in each game, and missed them badly.

I'd also say that despite my post earlier which basically said he hadn't tried anything therefore hadn't made any errors therefore was being seen as our best player... he has. He has missed our best chance in each game, and missed them badly.

I wouldn't trust him to score one-on-one facing an empty net.

I think the problem with having Heskey on is it is just inviting you to play the long ball to him too much rather than play a pass and move type of football. This problem is compounded by the fact this fucking Jabulani ball is completely unpredictable in the air, leading to overhit long balls more often than not. You need to change your game to adapt to the circumstances at this World Cup, and go with players who provide more technical ability and movement.

I feel sorry for Heskey in a way; even though he hasn't played badly and has delivered what you might expect from him as a player, this is not what the team currently needs, so he has to be dropped despite the fact he has played to his ability where other players have not hit anywhere near their potential level.

I think the problem with having Heskey on is it is just inviting you to play the long ball to him too much rather than play a pass and move type of football. This problem is compounded by the fact this fucking Jabulani ball is completely unpredictable in the air, leading to overhit long balls more often than not. You need to change your game to adapt to the circumstances at this World Cup, and go with players who provide more technical ability and movement.

I feel sorry for Heskey in a way; even though he hasn't played badly and has delivered what you might expect from him as a player, this is not what the team currently needs, so he has to be dropped despite the fact he has played to his ability where other players have not hit anywhere near their potential level.

Is a nicer way of what I wanted to say :D

Although he does annoy me still :lol:

Guest Phil K

What's the point of this thread? Do people really think Heskey is the reason we're doing so poorly?

definitley one of themain reasons. Did you notice england's game plan last night?!

I saw what they were doing. I'm not sure it was the gameplan, tbh.

The occasional views of a shouting Capello tearing his hair out, would say you're right.