Rooney - - not firing on any cylinders

Rob W

Guest neesy111

Not his fault. It would help if our midfield could get the ball in or around he box!

that's a michael owen excuse

Thought he looked good against Slovenia, couple of nice touches, pretty much a hair breadth away from setting up 2 goals and scoring himself. Now that we seem to have clicked, we might start seeing the best of him. In Don we trust.

He needs a big rest physically and a break from the game. He's been thrown into top-level football since he was about 18 so it must take it's toll mentally. A break would help bring his passion back.

If he can just dig deep and pull out some vintage performances for England first it would be great!

I love how when Rooney has a bad game it's everybody elses fault.  :lol:

Face facts, he's been utter garbage so far and there's no basis to suggest he's gonna all of a sudden start playing brilliantly.

Apart from the fact he should have had two assists and a goal as has been said. His movement was much better, no reason he wont perform equally against Germany.

The first couple games he didnt have any space to be effective, thats exactly what the oppositions set out to achieve and it worked because of Heskeys finishing. Slovenia tried the same at the start & Defoe made the difference.

I love how when Rooney has a bad game it's everybody elses fault.  :lol:

Face facts, he's been utter garbage so far and there's no basis to suggest he's gonna all of a sudden start playing brilliantly.

Spot on.

The sentiment is spot on.  There's very little to suggest he'll have a good game come Sunday.  In fact, all the evidence points towards another stroppy 90 minutes, given they'll be playing on his every emotion and pushing all his buttons.  It is the Germans, after all.

His judgement off the ball has never been great. Since signing for Man U he's never been great for England either.

Completely laughable that some on this board call him better than Drogba. He will be one day but right now he's not in the same league.

I just find it odd that if Gerrard or Lampard are shit, they're laid into, but if Rooney's shit it's "oh, he'll get good soon", "he's ready to burst the net" etc etc. More action, less words please.

I reckon he'll be sent off on Sunday.

I just find it odd that if Gerrard or Lampard are shit, they're laid into, but if Rooney's shit it's "oh, he'll get good soon", "he's ready to burst the net" etc etc.  More action, less words please.

I reckon he'll be sent off on Sunday.

i think that attitude comes from the fact that Rooney hit the ground running for the international team and has performed consistently for England since he was a nipper, i.e. he's looked natural there from the start whereas Lampard has never/rarely looked the part and Gerrard had been less consistent

for me this is when you judge a great player and is the reason i'm hoping he comes good against Germany - previously he was undone by his own stupidity/naivity (Portugal sending off) but now is the time he needs to prove what he's made of in a major tournament

funny but it's like the Nike ad really:  what's Rooney gonna be remembered for?  flouncing out of the major tournaments with a pet lip or is he going to carry England to a victory like the great players do

for my part i think last season took it's toll, had manu strolled to the title and given Rooney some rest he'd be a different player right now

point stands though, actions not words please

The sentiment is spot on.  There's very little to suggest he'll have a good game come Sunday.  In fact, all the evidence points towards another stroppy 90 minutes, given they'll be playing on his every emotion and pushing all his buttons.  It is the Germans, after all.

Why so? I have no problems admitting that he was useless against USA and especially Alegeria. But in the game against Slovenia, he showed good movement, good link up and hold up play and he looked hungry again. The ony thing missing was his sharpness in front of goal. Given the improvement and as his match fitness picks up, what suggest to you that Rooney will revert to "another stroppy 90 minutes"?

Granted the Germans are better than Slovenia as a team, but I don't think their defenders are that much better. If they do attack us which they will with overlapping full backs (especially Lahm), that would open up space for our attackers and offset any advantage that they have vis-a-vis Slovenia.

I reckon Rooney is going to improve further and get his first goal. Predictions are normally based on gut instincts more than anything else, but I'm curious why you feel he will go backwards?

Guest firetotheworks

Rooney gets the benefit of the doubt because at International level he has earned it. That's all. Gerrard and Lampard haven't, because even though I like them both, for England I've never seen them be as effective as they are for Liverpool and Chelsea.

His judgement off the ball has never been great. Since signing for Man U he's never been great for England either.

Completely laughable that some on this board call him better than Drogba. He will be one day but right now he's not in the same league.

He has been consistently one of the better attacking players in the england set up, I'd defy you to find atoo many who's outshone him in the england set up attackng wise. I mean he was the leading scorer in the WC qualifiers in the european qualifliers (Ithink) that shows a decent level of form. I know its a few years back but from what little i remeber he was decent in WC2006 and defiitely a star in 2004, thats 2 major tournaments where he's applied him self, more than 80% of the england squad.

It's laughable saying that he's not in the same league, I'm not sure what difference there is between  the repsective players to make them 'leagues apart' but I'd like to find out. This is coming from Drogba fan.