Capello stays on

Doctor Zaius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Klinsmann worked for Germany, Bilic for Croatia.

Then again those two are probably on a completely different level tactical brain wise than Beckham. But appointing young recent players have a decent track record in International management so far.

Klinsmann is s*** when it comes to tactics. The "mastermind" was Löw. Klinsmann was only the "motivator".

I think the difference between Beckham and Klinsmann is that the later got away from german football for a few years, coached in the US (where he learned about new training-methods) and then came back.

International management is mostly about keeping the players motivated, though. You have such a short period of time to work with the players, motivation plays a much bigger part than tactics for "good" sides. Though it's the contrary for "lesser" sides.

I agree with you, as soon as it comes to the tournament. But you have to qualify for that, too. That's where you need tactics as well. More than motivation.

Yeah, which is why both a great tactician and motivator is needed. Capello is just one of the two, which is why it was bound to happen that England failed at the WC.

You can't be just a great tactician to be successful at club level so don't buy into that.

I think most would agree something wasn't right in the English training camp.  As outsiders it's pure speculation at the moment but Capello can't be blamed for the total failure of our World Cup just yet.

You can. As a club manager if you fall out with someone, you'll sell him. And the big difference with being at a world cup is that you are together with your players 24/7.

You can?  As in - 'you can blame him for our total failure at this World Cup'?

He made big mistakes tactically but even so, our players - in whatever formation - should be able to beat Algeria.

Our players should also know how to defend against a lone striker, from the oppositions goal kick.

No. I was referring to the

You can't be just a great tactician to be successful at club level so don't buy into that.

part.

When he was with AC Milan going 58 games without defeat.. must been some super supreme tactics then  O0

Guest optimistic nit

he didn't give crouch any time to play, he persisted with gerrard on the left and he dropped green for james are 3 reasons why i think he should go.

he didn't give crouch any time to play, he persisted with gerrard on the left and he dropped green for james are 3 reasons why i think he should go.

He made mistakes and those were certainly among them. Picking Upson ahead of a number of players who had better seasons would also be on my list. As would his failure to create an environment where the players performed without inhibititions, it was all too predictable and the team looked petrified of failing. Players like Rooney and Lennon who were there to hurt the opposition just didn't perform. And Capello must carry the can for that.

But he was also a bit unlucky. Not having Ferdinand available and eventually ending up with his fourth choice centre back on the pitch was always going to leave a void. And although the selection of Green was a mistake, the howler that gifted the USA that crucial goal was not one even a Championship keeper should make. And it set the tone for what followed - nervous and stilted performances. The goal by Lampard was another piece of bad luck. Of course England were being out played in that first half but that goal gets them back in it against the run of play and the whole moral of the side would have been lifted instead of being crushed by a blatant injustice. I'm not saying we would have won the match if the goal had been allowed I'm saying that it is undeniable that it had a major influence on the way the match panned out.

The bottom line is that if Capello goes it is a certainty that he will be replaced by someone with a worse track record. And now that Capello also has the experience of managing a side in the World Cup what better candidate for the job is out there?

We can talk about his track record, but his tactics were taken apart relatively easily by low. Hes done everything at club level, this is all new for him still right now & he didnt handle it.

One of two things has happened. The opposition in this world cup has either tactically worked out how to combat our strengths, ie how to mark Rooney out of it etc magically all of a sudden as they didnt in qualifying. Or the players have under performed due to being effected by having to do it on the big stage. Suggesting its a mental issue.

He didnt deal with either & there isnt yet any reason to believe he'll learn how to beyond hope.

Why? The players at the core of this England side are history.

Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand and Terry will all still be around as will Rooney.  Not a manager on the planet who'd cull the lot of them imo.  Everyone outside of football is going apeshit right now but it's very rare in football that such a reaction would ever be forthcoming, especially when the dust settles.  It'll be piecemeal as these things always are, probably drop the Lennons/Heskey's etc and try to replace them slowly but surely.

Not saying I wouldn't decimate the current team, just saying England won't.

Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand and Terry will all still be around as will Rooney.  Not a manager on the planet who'd cull the lot of them imo.  Everyone outside of football is going apeshit right now but it's very rare in football that such a reaction would ever be forthcoming, especially when the dust settles.  It'll be piecemeal as these things always are, probably drop the Lennons/Heskey's etc and try to replace them slowly but surely.

Lampard will be 34 when the euros come around. Maybe pushing it a bit, especially for the next world cup.

Dropping Lennon? Probably our best winger at the moment and still young.

Lampard will be 34 when the euros come around. Maybe pushing it a bit, especially for the next world cup.

Dropping Lennon? Probably our best winger at the moment and still young.

If we persist with players like Lennon we'll continue to fail.  They're alright for the cut and thrust of the PL gung-ho football but they always get found out at International level.  SWP the same.

We need some thinkers in there, some people who can actually play intelligent football, not just run very fast.

I would, however, support keeping the likes of Lennon and Walcott as players to throw on to try and change a game, never in a million years should we be planning to start them though.

Are they?

Really, are they?  I dont think they are.

James is 39; Carragher, Heskey and Lampard are 32; Gerrard is 30; Terry, King, Ashley Cole and Crouch are 29, Joe Cole and Sean Wright-Philips are 28.

None of that lot are going to be in the frame for 2014; most of them won't be for 2012. As we've just seen, most are actually past it already, in terms of having any spark left for a summer campaign after a long league season. The "Golden Generation" have had their shot and won nowt.

There's no way they should be making the call as to whether Capello stays or goes.

Guest BooBoo

He made too many stubborn blunders, some of which were Souness esque in their pig headedness, to deserve a second shot.

Guest BooBoo

I wish he'd learn English, like.

Some of the journos noted his English deteriorated in the month or so leading up to the WC.

But in the absence of any other credible candidate...

Sam Allerdyce.

the thought of that terrifies me.

i think i'd probably stop watching england play if he got the job, althought gareth barry seemed to be in prep already for it with all the long high balls punted forward against slovenia

Guest BooBoo

I'll stick my neck out and say that I think England would have performed better this WC with Harry at the helm. The players have clearly not responded well to Capello's strict regime and would react better to the pally approach of Redknapp.

I'll stick my neck out and say that I think England would have performed better this WC with Harry at the helm. The players have clearly not responded well to Capello's strict regime and would react better to the pally approach of Redknapp.

How dare they be treat like a team and not movie stars.  Terrible, i feel sorry for them after being stuck in that concentration camp and expected to train and play football for a tournament.

Shocking, Capello should be reported to the UN, i feel so sorry fo those players.

Guest BooBoo

I'm not saying I like it, but it's clear their mentality is used to being over pampered rather than being told what to do and when to do it 24/7.

I'm not saying I like it, but it's clear their mentality is used to being over pampered rather than being told what to do and when to do it 24/7.

I know you weren't, i as aiming it at the players.

They are dicks, plain and simple. If they think they need to be looked after 24/7 then they are exactly the wrong people who should be picked for a squad.

But in the absence of any other credible candidate...

Sam Allerdyce.

the thought of that terrifies me.

i think i'd probably stop watching england play if he got the job, althought gareth barry seemed to be in prep already for it with all the long high balls punted forward against slovenia

I bet Fat Sam cracked into a smug grin when he watched Germany score their first goal from a long speculative punt into our area.

It's something that has to be thought about. Eriksson got more out of them by being passive and indulgent than Capello has done by imposing discipline and screaming at them from the dugout. Maybe Capello needs to learn how to soften his approach a bit; maybe a younger generation of players who haven't started believing their own publicity will react better to his way of doing things.

But England have been like Shepherd's Newcastle in terms of managerial appointments -- swinging from one extreme to another.