The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Pretty sure ManU or Chelsea wouldn't like to be paired with Real Madrid in the group stage, instead of some French team or a second tier team from Italy/Spain/Germany

Disagree. With another strong team in the group, chances are good they'll do the business on the pot 3 and 4 sides, leaving them little to play for. Of course, it leaves you with two difficult games, but if you do well against the pot 3 and 4 sides, too, it becomes a two-horse race and two go through anyway. I don't think it really makes much difference in the end; not when two go through.

Ultimately, assuming my team were in pot 1, I'd prefer either the worst pot 2 side or the best to be in the same group. Goes without saying that I'd want to avoid any decent pot 3/4 sides, especially billionaire-backed newbies like Man City that should punch way above their ranking.

Pretty sure ManU or Chelsea wouldn't like to be paired with Real Madrid in the group stage, instead of some French team or a second tier team from Italy/Spain/Germany

Disagree. With another strong team in the group, chances are good they'll do the business on the pot 3 and 4 sides, leaving them little to play for. Of course, it leaves you with two difficult games, but if you do well against the pot 3 and 4 sides, too, it becomes a two-horse race and two go through anyway. I don't think it really makes much difference in the end; not when two go through.

Ultimately, assuming my team were in pot 1, I'd prefer either the worst pot 2 side or the best to be in the same group. Goes without saying that I'd want to avoid any decent pot 3/4 sides, especially billionaire-backed newbies like Man City that should punch way above their ranking.

dunno not finishing top of your group can have nasty consequences (like meeting Barcelona in the next round) and having a team like real in pot 2 and in your group is going to create the distinct chance you could finish 2nd

dunno not finishing top of your group can have nasty consequences (like meeting Barcelona in the next round) and having a team like real in pot 2 and in your group is going to create the distinct chance you could finish 2nd

True enough, but as often as not, there are plenty of great sides finishing second in their groups. This season, it played out much as you would have expected, but both of last season's finalists came second in their groups, and the season before that had Chelsea, Inter, Arsenal and Real as group seconds, behind Roma, Panathanaikos, Porto and Juve respectively. It's also worth remembering that being in a group with Barcelona means you can't play them in the last 16.

All in all, yeah, you're probably better off avoiding a top side in the group stage and topping your group, but I think the difference it makes is small. It's worse ending up with good sides from pots 3 and/or 4 in your group so you have to fight hard for every point, and get caught in a 3- or 4-horse race. Worse still is starting out from pot 3 or 4, where you're very likely to end up in a group with two other strong sides.

Could miss out on Europe with the disaster than ensued today.  :aww:

Blessing in disguise. No Europe means they can have a proper go at the top 4 next season. Spurs won't cope with the extra fixtures and Arsenal are slipping a bit.

Could work out well for them in the long run. More's the pity. :hmm:

Blessing in disguise. No Europe means they can have a proper go at the top 4 next season. Spurs won't cope with the extra fixtures and Arsenal are slipping a bit.

Or they could implode ;)

Guest toonlass

King Kenny has spent half his transfer budget this morning. UEFA have given England another Europa League place.

Suarez looks money well spent. Jury well and truly out on Carroll though, the first couple of months next season are going to be massive for him.

Think the fans are supposed to be loosing patience with him and the style of game they have to play when he plays.

Like as not. The Europa Cup just isn't worth that much money or prestige in attracting players. The lack of distraction may help us.

Wait for me to say the same when we go out of the cups next season...

What's the story about this? FIFA Fairplay or something?

Aye.

It'll be Fulham, won't it?