2010/2011 Premier League Position Prediction

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I expect us to be in the third tier of teams, those being the ones not challenging for europe but unlikely to be relegated. This could see us finish anywhere from 10th to 16th and I'd be over the moon if that were the case come may.

I have no idea where everyone elses confidence, that we're going to get enough points not to go back down, is coming from.

Can't see us scoring many goals...

We have an array of strikers that are poor/unproven at PL level.

Two wingers who were both mediocre in the Prem, no back ups.

A whole host of slow, uncreative midfielders who played a large part in our last relegation.

Guest Antigalican

I think we might surprise a few people and finish half-way, to me a lot depends on how Andy Carroll steps up to the challenge.

I have no idea where everyone elses confidence, that we're going to get enough points not to go back down, is coming from.

Can't see us scoring many goals...

We have an array of strikers that are poor/unproven at PL level.

Two wingers who were both mediocre in the Prem, no back ups.

A whole host of slow, uncreative midfielders who played a large part in our last relegation.

Not to dissimilar to Stoke (until they signed Beattie in January) & Birmingham. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

This would do nicely.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04082010/58/premier-league-predictions-9th-12th.html

10th - NEWCASTLE UNITED (Last season: Championship winners)

There always seems to be one promoted team that does well, and this season Newcastle are favourites to be that team. Mike Ashley might still be at the club, but the stability at St James' is in marked contrast to their chaotic relegation season.

Chris Hughton has made few additions to his promotion side, nabbing Dan Gosling off Everton and signing Sol Campbell and James Perch. 'Fat belly' Campbell's lack of fitness could present a problem early on, as Steven Taylor has been ruled out for three months.

Newcastle have been rewarded for keeping their squad together in the second tier and possess plenty of quality from the likes of Kevin Nolan, Jonas Gutierrez and Andy Carroll. They should have no trouble avoiding the drop and may even sneak into the top half.

Guest BooBoo

17th with the current squad. Two wise additions and there would be every chance we could push into mid table obscurity.

tbh before friday and the next 2 signings, i feel i am unable to comment....

what position did DLC finish in spanish league last year?  They didnt exactly outclass us last night. Mildly encouraging, although our finishing was pretty woeful(

10th - NEWCASTLE UNITED (Last season: Championship winners)

There always seems to be one promoted team that does well, and this season Newcastle are favourites to be that team. Mike Ashley might still be at the club, but the stability at St James' is in marked contrast to their chaotic relegation season.

Chris Hughton has made few additions to his promotion side, nabbing Dan Gosling off Everton and signing Sol Campbell and James Perch. 'Fat belly' Campbell's lack of fitness could present a problem early on, as Steven Taylor has been ruled out for three months.

Newcastle have been rewarded for keeping their squad together in the second tier and possess plenty of quality from the likes of Kevin Nolan, Jonas Gutierrez and Andy Carroll. They should have no trouble avoiding the drop and may even sneak into the top half.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/world-cup/armchair-pundit/article/7968/

tbh before friday and the next 2 signings, i feel i am unable to comment....

what position did DLC finish in spanish league last year?  They didnt exactly outclass us last night. Mildly encouraging, although our finishing was pretty woeful(

10th, I would say they are weaker this year though.

IT was a bit like walking downstairs after a great party and finding your house trashed.

Reality dawned with the sight of an array of broken bottles, smashed furniture and buckling ashtrays.

On May 23, Newcastle celebrated their return to the Premier League in style, the Championship trophy handed over to club captain Nicky Butt in front of 50,000 fans at St James' Park.

On June 1, a 1,200 word statement was released with a resounding message: We ain't spending, we won't be spending and the target for next season is survival.

No wonder Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias couldn't get on with Kevin Keegan.

In 1993, when Newcastle last left the second tier of English football, Keegan warned Manchester United he was coming to get them.

And he wasn't far off.

Now the strategy is light years away.

It is easy to point the finger of blame at Ashley. He inherited debt. Relegation brought more debt and, after coughing up £250million since unwisely moving into football, he has said 'enough'.

The broadside was against agents trying to inflate prices, about throwing Newcastle into the mix just to drum up some interest.

There was, as Chris Hughton later admitted, a bit of cash in the old piggy bank. Again, it was about not showing your hand, about doing deals at the best price. It's hard to argue with that too much.

However, as a man given to a bit of knowledge of the red, black and green wheel, Ashley should understand the nature of his latest gamble.

Momentum has always been key at St James' Park. Move forward and you will do it fast. Newcastle finished third in their first Premier League season following that promotion in 1994.

Move backwards and witness the kind of capitulation that ends in relegation, as happened 15 months ago.

Newcastle DO need to get their finances in order.

And they DO need to stop the gravy train that has made a catalogue of mediocre and selfish footballers outrageously rich.

Fair play to Ashley for stopping the foreign talent hunt that unearthed such gems as Marcelino (£6m), Hugo Viana (£10.5m) and Albert Luque (£9.5m) and paid the wages of Xisco (£55,000-a-week).

But in a cruel and uncaring league it is folly to ignore the calls for sensible investment.

The players who produced such an outstanding campaign in the Championship - 102 points and 90 goals - deserve support.

Sol Campbell, albeit short term, is a start, a leader with presence.

And much will now depend on Andy Carroll, the 6ft 3in, bustling, old-fashioned centre- forward who has caught Fabio Capello's eye.

Nineteen goals last season, with head and feet, were proof of an emerging talent.

But this is the Premier League. Newcastle are not strong and you just hope the penny will drop and a proven partner will be found.

To further compound the flimsy nature of Hughton's squad, Carroll faces a potential court date in October.

They have rookies in Leon Best and Nile Ranger.

They have experience in Shola Ameobi and Peter Lovenkrands.

But what price a daring swoop for a Robbie Keane to really ignite St James' Park? An international with the know-how to guarantee the double figure tally that could keep the club up.

But without similar bold signings it could be a long, hard battle for survival.

Get the 36 points that have become the target to stay in the top division.

But lose 20-odd games in the process and watch patience, goodwill and the momentum from promotion disappear.

Whatever happens, you suspect they will be drowning a few sorrows along the way.

Pass the Anadin!

IN: Sol Campbell (Arsenal, free), Dan Gosling (Everton, free), James Perch (Nottm F, undisc).

OUT: Fabrice Pancrate (released), Nicky Butt (released).

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/899844/NEWCASTLE-20102011-SEASON-PREVIEW.html

Sounds about right tbf