Dan Gosling

Dave

Totally lost track of this. Is it safe to assume he's definitely ours, and it's just this compensation issue that's delaying the inevitable?

insofar as we know yes

Happy days.

It's a shame the lad is injured, I think we would have to get extra people to man the wank stations if he was fully fit and raring to start the season. It's hard to get excited about a new signing that probably won't play until October/November time.

It's a shame the lad is injured, I think we would have to get extra people to man the wank stations if he was fully fit and raring to start the season. It's hard to get excited about a new signing that probably won't play until October/November time.

Agree, but then I remember that I thought he looked a canny player the few times I saw him last season, so I'm still pretty fucking happy about this signing.

Hopefully we can finally offload Alan fucking Smith when this deal is done, even though he won't play until the later parts of the season.

Oh don't get me wrong, I will be very happy if this comes off. I would have just been over the top excited if he was going straight into the squad and given chances in pre-season.

Doesn't matter too much though, Vuckic has stepped into that role :D

I don't think I can say it enough how much I'd love to see the back of Alan Smith.

:thup:

Even though Gosling is out until say Christmas and if Barton gets injured in the first minute against Man U, I'd still hope to get of Smith. Much rather play Guthrie and Nolan and just have Vuckic as back up. That's how much I can't stand Alan Smith.

Sell Smith for minimal fee, sign scharner as a holding midfielder. No cost and cheaper wages but better player who could fill in at centre back if needed.

This football things a piece of piss really.

Sell Smith and should three out of Barton, Guthrie, Nolan and Vuckic be injured, just play with ten men. It's still better than playing Smith as we won't be giving away free kicks in dangerous positions and it will free up loads of wages.

Guest Heneage

Smith's going to be one of those players who signs for a CCC side, gets promoted, then sold back down a year later.

I really like Scharner though (must admit I barely saw him last season but he still rocks).

Don't know much about him at all in all honesty, would probably be a decent signing, but do we really need another CM? Gosling, Guthrie, Nolan and Barton, with Vuckic hoping to get a game or two, I feel that that's good enough.

I really like Scharner though (must admit I barely saw him last season but he still rocks).

Don't know much about him at all in all honesty, would probably be a decent signing, but do we really need another CM? Gosling, Guthrie, Nolan and Barton, with Vuckic hoping to get a game or two, I feel that that's good enough.

It leaves us 1 injury away from being in trouble.

Get rid of Smith and bring in Cleverley on loan.

Get rid of Smith and sign Scharner on a free.

Get rid of Smith and replace him with a training cone.

There's lots of possibilities, that are all advantageous at a footballing and economic level.

Possibly not towelie, I just think someone who will sit in front of the back 4 (without giving away stupid fouls) would be a good option to have.

Vuckic and Nolan are definitely best off staying away from defensive duties. Gosling although box to box also sounds better in advanced position. Guthrie may be a little deeper but is definitely still more effective at creating and again the Barton of old was better bringing the ball forward than taking a disciplined position.

I see Gosling as more of a defensive box to box midfielder, similar to Guthrie. See your point in that it might be an idea to get a really deep lying holding midfielder. AIK, my team here in Sweden, has just gotten a new manager (Alex Miller, Scottish fellow who's been a coach at Liverpool under Houllier and Benitez if anyone cares) who seems to favour a 4-1-4-1 formation, and so far it's worked pretty well, so it's something I'd be open for us to try. Scharner would probably be a canny option for that defensive midfielder position.

Much rather have Scharner than Campbell. We will probably end up with neither like!

He has a few more years left to run, heard he hasnt had the best past season or so for Wigan. Was the boss several years ago though. Would give us decent cover in CB and DM.