The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Arsenal defended like champs. Had the same game plan as last time and were exercising it well. One foot in the the next round before the referee changed the game.

Of course Barcelona dominated possession and shots. But that wasn't Arsenal's game tonight.

Barca may be the better side going forward, but Arsenal were still robbed.

Who cheated in that Barca team out of interest?

I don't think there's any individual who can be consistently labeled one, it's just certain moments, e.g. when Villa felt the need to break the roly poly world record after Koscielny's tackle, is it just a coincidence that happened when the offender was on a booking? The whole team does it which is why I think its a cultural thing.

What about Wilshere's blatant playacting in the first half? Doesn't count cuz he's British and Brits don't dive/cheat?

He did appear to be injured, but he's a tosser anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was acting.He will probably be one of the best English midfielders of his generation, so it's a shame we have to support him.

The fact is that if you stay on your feet, you don't win the foul, even if you were fouled to begin with. It's a sad fact but it's how it works. Refereeing discourages sportsmanship.

And honestly I don't think we are worse than your average side out there.

Arsenal defended like champs. Had the same game plan as last time and were exercising it well. One foot in the the next round before the referee changed the game.

Of course Barcelona dominated possession and shots. But that wasn't Arsenal's game tonight.

There's no way they were robbed man, for one thing the referee missed at least two penalties they should have had.

They defended bravely, but last-ditch defending for 90 minutes is never going to get you through. It isn't a game plan either.

What about the penalty Barcelona should have had?  Arsenal weren't robbed there, they were very fortunate in fact.

Now trying to divert the attention to cheats in the Arsenal team - a point which NOBODY IS CONTESTING :lol:

Whole reason why it's so wide spread now. No one takes responsibility for their behaviour and just pass the buck in a "they started it" way. Makes most important games into big bullshit-fests.

:thup:

No, there were plenty of occasions where Barcelona players were about to lose possession only to manufacture a foul by shifting their body position sufficiently.  Think the referee was coned way too many times by this tactic tonight.

They also spent most of the first half deliberately blocking off Arsenal players runs.

There's no way they were robbed man, for one thing the referee missed at least two penalties they should have had.

They defending bravely, but last-ditch defending for 90 minutes is never going to get you through. It isn't a game plan either.

I liked how the commentators were arguing that Xavi's slight deflection off Sagna was an example of the Gods going against Arsenal. When you defend for 90 minutes in your own box, surviving endless chances and direct shots at goal, multiple lucky bounces in getting it clear..yeah, maybe once at the end of a flowing move a slight deflection will go against you.

Who cheated in that Barca team out of interest?

I don't think there's any individual who can be consistently labeled one, it's just certain moments, e.g. when Villa felt the need to break the roly poly world record after Koscielny's tackle, is it just a coincidence that happened when the offender was on a booking? The whole team does it which is why I think its a cultural thing.

What's Gerrard's culture? Why does Joe Cole roll around like a divy when he's tackled? Why does Geordie Steven Taylor hold his side like he's been shot whenever he handles the ball? Why did Pedro stay on his feet when he could have went down before the penalty? Why does every team in the premier league cheat? Why does Rooney do it? Why are Barca any different? Why are you talking absolute rubbish? Why?

Gerrard has a dirty streak. Because he is a divy, also any coincidence that his style of play is very in line with continental players? Steven Taylor doesn't think. Fair play to Pedro. They don't. He's a twat. They do it more than most. I'm not.

Arsenal had one major bad thing go against them, wrongly.

They've also, over the 2 legs, had some things go for them, wrongly. Furthermore, they've been fortunate to avoid a total battering over the course of the 2 legs such was Barca's superiority and the amount of times they opened up the Arsenal defence.

Overall, they have little to complain about, and I'm sure most Arsenal fans, begrudgingly or not, will accept that.

How does receiving a suspicious yellow equal to being robbed? Van Persie should have fucking known he was on a yellow, and if you are, you don't fucking shoot after the whistle's been blown. I thought it was a tad harsh, but it was  a 70/30, I said right after he took the shot, before the ref had made his decision, that it was a really daft thing to do. He's got no one but himself to blame for putting himself in the position where he's got a very decent chance to get sent off.

Not that it matters, Barca would have won this tie anyway, and you can wave all your "we'll never know that!" in my face as much as you want, I'm fairly certain Barcelona would have won easily.

They've also, over the 2 legs, had some things go for them, wrongly. Furthermore, they've been fortunate to avoid a total battering over the course of the 2 legs such was Barca's superiority and indeed surprisingly poor finishing.

Overall, they have little to complain about, and I'm sure most Arsenal fans, begrudgingly or not, will accept that.

ArsenalMania disagrees.

Fans of most teams would probably begrudgingly accept it. Arsenal fans, however... :D

They've also, over the 2 legs, had some things go for them, wrongly. Furthermore, they've been fortunate to avoid a total battering over the course of the 2 legs such was Barca's superiority and indeed surprisingly poor finishing.

ArsenalMania disagrees.

I daren't waste my time on that self-obsessed hellhole for fear of just getting irate. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

They've also, over the 2 legs, had some things go for them, wrongly. Furthermore, they've been fortunate to avoid a total battering over the course of the 2 legs such was Barca's superiority and the amount of times they opened up the Arsenal defence.

I agree with everything but the last bit, although I imagine they'll admit the better team won.

They defending bravely, but last-ditch defending for 90 minutes is never going to get you through. It isn't a game plan either.

First leg they did the same thing. Contain Barcelona, let them have their fun, then strike in the second half when they lose interest. Definitely game plan there.

Once again we saw Barcelona score first, then in the second half Arsenal were getting back into it.

Must have missed the second penalty shout, only saw the Messi foul... which was right on the edge of the box. Even if the ref had called it a foul it would be a legitimate coin toss as to whether it was a penalty or not.

Also Bendtner broke into the box and was sandwiched by 3 Barcelona players (they can't all have won the ball)... it's all ifs and buts when it comes to penalty decisions. However, regardless of whether or not you approve of, or recognise, Arsenal's tactics the fact remains they had their noses in front and a very bad refereeing decision changed the outcome entirely.

Had RVP stayed on the pitch I would have fully expected Arsenal to go through. Just because they were playing negatively doesn't mean there's no injustice.

ArsenalMania disagrees.

Just don't go there it's full of children or imbeciles who are extremely biased, Arsenal-Land is the best but has about 10 members...

First leg they did the same thing. Contain Barcelona, let them have their fun, then strike in the second half when they lose interest. Definitely game plan there.

Once again we saw Barcelona score first, then in the second half Arsenal were getting back into it.

Must have missed the second penalty shout, only saw the Messi foul... which was right on the edge of the box. Even if the ref had called it a foul it would be a legitimate coin toss as to whether it was a penalty or not.

Also Bendtner broke into the box and was sandwiched by 3 Barcelona players (they can't all have won the ball)... it's all ifs and buts when it comes to penalty decisions. However, regardless of whether or not you approve of, or recognise, Arsenal's tactics the fact remains they had their noses in front and a very bad refereeing decision changed the outcome entirely.

Had RVP stayed on the pitch I would have fully expected Arsenal to go through. Just because they were playing negatively doesn't mean there's no injustice.

Arsenal's attempted to contain, yes, but they didn't do it very well. Time and time again Barca opened them up and Arsenal were incredibly lucky not to have conceded more over the course of the 2 legs.

@Persie_Official Robin van Persie

Thanks all AFC fans 4 tonight played vs a great team and a even better ref. He had a absolute shocker tonight think we all agree on this 1

@Persie_Official Robin van Persie

Thanks all AFC fans 4 tonight played vs a great team and a even better ref. He had a absolute shocker tonight think we all agree on this 1

Yes, Robin.  The ref was crap, he completely missed a blatant pen for Barcelona.