The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

What games did you get to when you went to SA, Disco? You got to a couple of Argentina Apetura matches, right? May have made that up.

What did you make of them? Passion? Quality?

Bolivia 2 - 1 Brazil

Godoy Cruz 1 - 2 Estudiantes

River 3 - 1 Ath. Tucuman

Boca 4 - 0 Gimnasia LP

Twas Apertura 2009. More or less this time last month.

They got progressively better in terms of atmosphere although that was probably due to the grounds being fuller. Bol-Bra was a dead rubber but was a tenner for a posh seat so why not, Bolivia fans calling for the managers head was rather amusing too when they're beating Brazil.

In Argentina passion excedes quality by a fucking mile, players you get playing are the ones waiting for Europe (Peyreya, Lamela, Buenotte) /back from Europe (Veron, Ortega, Riquelme) and the ones not good enough so its a weird mix. The 3 games i went too defending seemed frouned upon and was terrible. Watching tonights game has reminded me of that a lot. Teams leave 3 v 3 or whatnot v the back and all defenders are very "Coloccini" esque, poor physically but good on the ball and reading the game. Defenders will take wild risks too, in terms of not just belting it forward. Generally the game is pretty slow with the midfield general dictating things but I loved it. Crowd are going nuts before you even get in. Think the most i paid was a £10 to watch River, sat on the half way line. Boca was £5 behind the goal.

Stadiums are massively dated, Bocas is a deathtrap and wouldn't be allowed over here but its all condusive to the atmosphere I think. Can't drink in/around the stadiums either with the trouble that is attached to the Argentine game.

Best place probably in the world I reckon for a football holiday with so many of the teams being based in BsAs and everyone loves their football. Think its 16 or something at the moment of the top 20. Mental. When I was in Rosario, went out to a Mexican restaurant for dinner and Newell's (based in Rosario) happened to be on and everyone was going mental watching the game but having their scran at the same time. Weird.

To give some scale to that, how big is the general BA area? That's mental - I was aware a lot of teams were from BA but that sort of ratio of the whole top league is ridiculous.

I'm not going to profess I'm anything like an expert about the Argentinian league but I try to watch the odd match and what you say chimes in with what I've seen. The midfield gets on top of the game; it's not ugly to watch in the slightest but can get a bit boring if you're not really in the mood. Still, plenty of moments of outstanding technical quality and sometimes, as you say, defensive suicide.

I really want to get to La Bombanera (is that right?) for a match but it does look a bit mental. Not sure how they allow it but ah well.

As for this game, River look relatively comfortable without pressing forward much.

To give some scale to that, how big is the general BA area? That's mental - I was aware a lot of teams were from BA but that sort of ratio of the whole top league is ridiculous.

I'm not going to profess I'm anything like an expert about the Argentinian league but I try to watch the odd match and what you say chimes in with what I've seen. The midfield gets on top of the game; it's not ugly to watch in the slightest but can get a bit boring if you're not really in the mood. Still, plenty of moments of outstanding technical quality and sometimes, as you say, defensive suicide.

I really want to get to La Bombanera (is that right?) for a match but it does look a bit mental. Not sure how they allow it but ah well.

As for this game, River look relatively comfortable without pressing forward much.

12-14m in the metropolitan area which is quite large but the city is about 4m IIRC but it all sort of joins together. Still ridiculous though. But i think around 60% of the population are Boca or River so even they're massively disproportionate.

Aye Boca is La Bombonera, mental generally if you went in the Popular where the Barra Bravas (Ultras) go god knows what goes on.

As an e.g. the google map shows 3 big Buneos Aires clubs. Boca - top right, Racing - bottom right and San Lorenzo top left. Just along the road from San Lorenzo are Huracan n all. It's crazy.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3420/picture3wd.png