The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Am I the only one in this thread that doesn't really care for Barcelona then?

I just think the whole MES QUE UN CLUB wankathron is worse then the whole mourinho fanboyism. Add that to their bitterness less season and its easy to see through the hype. Madrid have been awful, and Barca are taking advantage along with some brilliant individual performances from their players, they have ridiculous talent in their squad..

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

Haha.

Thoroughly enjoyed that raping, Mourinho, I can hate you now you're gone.

I'm utterly bemused how you can hate someone that won you everything he possibly could.

Haha.

I'm utterly bemused how you can hate someone that won you everything he possibly could.

Well, I don't hate him.

But like I said earlier in the thread, the man cares for no club, just himself.

Yep.

They're completely dominant in possession and their pressing to retrieve possession hasn't been seen in football for a long, long time.

684 - 331 passes in favour of Barca tonight. 67% possession, overall.

When Barca hit 8 last week, I think Ronaldo made a comment saying Barca should try to hit them for 8. Well, they were a few goals off but I'm pretty sure the message was sent.

I continue to think that the past three years of football played by this Barca team is the best ever pure/total football, bar none. I mean, at one point tonight they reeled off almost 15 consecutive first time passes in Madrid's half, and this is against a fucking 500 million team, man!

Haha.

Well, I don't hate him.

Why exactly do you support an Italian club out of interest?

Guest firetotheworks

Haha.

Well, I don't hate him.

I'd happily take that. It's evident that it's that that makes him so good.

Haha.

Well, I don't hate him.

Why exactly do you support an Italian club out of interest?

Family live there.

It's not the same as Newcastle, never will be. I just follow Italian football and they've always been the team I've followed since I bought a shirt there when I was younger.

Cool beans  :thup:

Haha.

Well, I don't hate him.

I'd happily take that. It's evident that it's that that makes him so good.

Oh aye, imagine him here?

Think I'd jizz solidly for his entire tenure.

I actually got given a Viola shirt with Batistuta on the back by a local, but since it was fake I wanted to buy a real shirt. The sports store we went to didn't sell Fiorentina shirts (just a few miles from Firenze, go figure) so I went with Inter instead cuz I liked the colours.

Very, very disappointing, Mourinho apparently thinks he knows how to beat Barca, I think he looked clueless.

As soon as the Real players lost the ball they would look around and check where they were in relation to the position Mourinho had obviously told them to be in, and this meant the first three seconds in transition were wasted thinking, while the Barca player were running past them.

The combination of a high back line and an emphasis on positional rigidity seems like a foolish approach, if they want to push up they should be looking to go man for man at the back, and to get into position quickly. If they wanted to remain in shape they should have been willing to drop deep and force Barca to play through both midfield and defensive lines. The back 4 were exposed in the first phase far too often.

They let Barcelona play though way too easily. The gamble on having Ronaldo let Alves go failed as well.

It seemed like the Real attacking plan was to overload certain areas of the pitch and play the ball into them - they did that in the right full back area on a number occasions when they had three men around Alves - but most of the time the Real defenders didn't have the time to pick a pass due to the 5-5 style of defence Barca play. The overload situation was too far down the pitch for that kind of approach, it should have been played up 'blind', or they should have tried to overload some point in the pitch not so far away. Another terrible compromise between two conflicting strategies.

I'd have rather seen Madrid switch the ball quickly across the pitch. The way Barca defend cannot be sustained for 90 minutes, they rely on getting ahead and being able to control possession for a large period of the game otherwise they tire. I remember the game against Arsenal in the CL, Arsenal were not even that ruthless about switching the ball around, and Barca looked absolutely punch drunk for the last fifteen minutes. Real should have been looking to get around Barca's intense pressure when the ball is lost by popping the ball 40-50 yards away into the space those players chasing it have vacated, rather than being caught in possession by them so frequently. That happened often, along with punting it down the pitch towards the Barca back 5, 4 of whom generally stay flat when defending. (I should have put a picture in here: that is an awfully concise description of a complex process, and an insult to clarity to boot, but I can't be done with it.)

I wish referees would start to penalise the cynical Barcelona tackling as well, that move they all do when they lose possession where they just press themselves against the opposition player and start shin kicking, well, it should be a yellow card, it is so pre-meditated.

Fiorentina are infinitely more likeable than Inter like.

I really liked Vieri and Recoba, though.

At the time Inter weren't annoyingly all-concuring, either.

I think everyone agrees with that.

Fiorentina are infinitely more likeable than Inter like.

I really liked Vieri and Recoba, though.

At the time Inter weren't annoyingly all-concuring, either.

I think everyone agrees with that.

:lol: