Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Sewelly is usually a good poster but he spouted some rubbish about La Liga and the Premiership earlier, christ, cliche bingo.

I'll be delighted if we pull this one off, if he signs and keeps fit I would be confident of staying up. One or two more additions are still needed to be sure though.

The thing with cliches is they are often an exaggerated version of the truth. The Prem is utter pap for the most part, I have no doubt about that. Didn't miss not watching it regularly one bit last season.

Conversely I watched La Liga and Serie A consistently. Far more absorbing leagues imo.

Funny, I've lived in a few countries in the world and I can tell you, that the Prem is by a long margin the most popular league to watch. Here in Canada, we have 3 big TV stations showing live games and another 2 highlights. La Liga and Serie A are tuck away on some obscure channels, and shown in small doses.  Seems like the Prem is much more absorbing for the majority of people than those leagues, it certainly is for me and I'm half spanish so really can't be acused of bias

I'll be over the moon to sign him but people saying we still need more, I get the impression that if Ashley brings him in he'll think he's done enough to keep us happy and we won't see another penny out of him til at least January.

Guest zinaldo1982

i saw it on football forums but it could be a dodgy website true,i really hope he does come but the anfield pull could be a major factor but he wants to be a starter and i think he would be more likely to get it here or maybe at aston villa.

Seems like Liverpool are being linked with just about everyone atm. Crouch on the Beeb at the moment is also headed their way.

If we pull this deal off then where will the lad play ? Surely we are looking to bring him in to start, does that mean he's taking Jonas's spot on the left ? Highly unlikely that we would want to drop one of our better players from last year. So is it must surely be through the middle just off Carroll, if so where does that leave Nolan ?

With the lad's reputation for trouble making, this deal has some bad signs for team harmony, one of 2 very powerful individuals in that dressing room is going to lose their place in the team and I doubt either of them would be very happy about that.

Never been much of a fan of Ben Arfa but he's also easily above average in terms of players we can expect to attract given our current circumstances. Would be very glad to give him a chance here. Really hope he comes now :lol:

Look, this guy's one of the highest rated prospects in French football. He's quick, strong and has a stunning left-foot. He's had experience playing in the CL with both Lyon and Marseilles and won league titles with both clubs as well, so moving to the Premiership will not be a severe step-up, and I expect him to play well.

The only question mark that he has is the reported lack of discipline and effort, but he's still just a kid. He's 23, and has played for two of the most successful clubs in France, so of course this kid is going to believe he's the real deal. But the fact that he's considering coming to us on loan tells me that he's going to try harder, because he's not waiting for one of the big clubs to swoop in and sign him. He's willing to come to a newly promoted team for a year to show the footballing world that he's a good player, and I take that as a sign of maturity and willingness to succeed, which will only help us.

It really doesn't matter whether he stays. We're looking to survive; that's the priority. If we survive, our status as a Premiership team will attract players by itself so I'm not bothered about him committing to us for a only a year.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Bah, you'd only be getting half a French winger if he didn't have a moody disposition! Just get boring singing his praises all the time if there wasn't a week where you could moan about his lack of right foot/ability to track back/lack of sleep.

Guest geoffasenna

reports saying their chairman says he sign on tuesday or wednesday, i personally dont think so hes with the french team to play on wednesday evening, i think hes talking out his bellamy here like

Guest MrSundlofer

The Parma president has said they will bid for him if their move for Giovinco doesn`t go through

http://www.svenskafans.com/image/1/122925.jpg

He signed for Parma on loan some days ago.

nee point in signing him, he'll still not get close to the team... how the fuck will smith, guthrie, nolan, etc etc all get in the XI if we sign a decent player?

Smith has been dropped on more than only one occasion, the same goes for Guthrie. Means Barton & Nolan in CM, Ben Arfa ahead of them.

I can see him being played in place of either jonas or routledge in a 4-4-2 or replacing Nolan, with Nolan then replacing Guthrie and partnering Barton in the middle. Ideally I want to see him in the middle, creating chances but it's nice to know we'd have a quality winger for the inevitable injuries to our starters.

Assuming we sign him of course :aww:

dont get me wrong i will be owa-the-moon if we sign ben arfa... just worry we will not play him in a position that will get the most out of him...

but its a BIG positive if we do get him. shows we are still an attractive prospect to players... and that FMA is willing to spend some money.

NEWCASTLE United are closing in on a loan deal for Marseille schemer Hatem Ben Arfa – but must double their offer to 800,000 Euros to take him in time for the big Premier League kick-off

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2010/08/08/newcastle-step-up-ben-arfa-loan-bid-79310-27019039/

How can he write that when the President of Marseille confirmed yesterday that a loan fee of €800,000 was accepted?  :lol: