Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

We could afford to buy them at the time. We can't with Ben Arfa.

We couldn't afford to buy better players than Nolan and Ryan two years ago and it cost us £40million and relegation. Could we afford that?

From  l'equipe

The poker game is clearly part of the weapons of trading on the transfer market. Wednesday evening, Klaus Allofs, the Werder Bremen's sporting director, had suggested qu'Hatem Ben Arfa was not his priority. In fact, decrypts L'Equipe on Friday, he had to understand and analyze the opposite about the German leader as an attempt to lower the transfer price. Evidence that the former club of Johan Micoud has never been more interested in French international midfielder, out of bed to the Olympique de Marseille, he should make an offer on Friday around 6 million euros in cash. A proposal, the newspaper said, to which management is not insensitive Olympian. Ben Arfa, disappointed by the stalemate of the track leading to Newcastle should indeed bounce back in the Bundesliga, where Werder, Mesut Özil orphan, left at Real Madrid, the need - and how - to recruit playmaker

I used Google Translate for this . . . . .

Of course we can afford it with a turnover of £80-100 million. The wage bill is only around 50% of that now. Of course we can afford more than £1.5 million in transfer fees.

How long are you prepared to accept his word that we are skint? Five, ten, twenty years? Newcastle United ran self sufficiently at the top level for nearly 15 years, all the while paying top end transfer fees. Now suddenly a 5m fee will cripple the club despite us selling 50m worth of players within the last 2 years as well as slashing the wage bill that Ashley built up?

He is a proven liar and I don't believe for a second that he's not lying on this. How long is everyone still going to take his word as gospel? ???

Neither of you have any idea what cash is available. It's useless saying 80m income less 40m wages = 40m cash to spend. You don't know what repayments are needed, working capital for the day to day running of the place, how much cash we have on hand (which is quite possibly zero seeing as we were overdrawn last season i think).

You're probably right and we could afford it, but it's such a pointless arguement.

Of course we can afford it with a turnover of £80-100 million. The wage bill is only around 50% of that now. Of course we can afford more than £1.5 million in transfer fees.

It really is as simple as that for some people isn't it? Do you forget this? God knows what the next results will be when the accounts for the season in the Championship are taken into account.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/05/01/newcastle-united-release-latest-financial-results-72703-26357235/

Not really bothered about the club's wealth. Fact is he is estimated to be worth 700m, I'm willing to bet it's considerably more (rich list people aren't very good at correctly putting a value on assets and tracking down all assets belonging to those on it). He has an asset in Newcastle United worth a lot more (possibly upward of £70-80m more) in the league we are currently in and for an overall investment of circa 25m (two signings with wages over 3.5 / 4 year contracts) payable over those 4 seasons with the possibility of recouping this money and a damn sight more if he were to sell either the individual players or the club as a whole. The value represented with this deal will be pretty difficult to replicate elsewhere. Yes, there is obvious risk, as there is with every transfer (as mentioned with Nolan et al above), but in my eyes at least, the risk of relegation without relatively modest investment is far more significant.

It really is as simple as that for some people isn't it? Do you forget this? God knows what the next results will be when the accounts for the season in the Championship are taken into account.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/05/01/newcastle-united-release-latest-financial-results-72703-26357235/

Ironic that you didn't answer my question about the consequences of buying shit players getting us relegated, then post a link to accounts which show the devastating impact of getting relegated  :lol:

But if we've said we won't, or can't afford to spend major transfer fees, "no capital outlay" blah blah, it doesn't matter how good the offer might look.

I could offer you a mansion worth £2.5m for £1m. Alternatively I'll rent you it for the year, however at the end of that year you have to buy it whether you like it or not, can afford it or not, or whether you've found something else.

Ironic that you didn't answer my question about the consequences of buying s*** players getting us relegated, then post a link to accounts which show the devastating impact of getting relegated  :lol:

Yep, you've seen "the devastating impact of getting relegated", and are still surprised we're not paying biggish money for players. It's happened.

How long are you prepared to accept his word that we are skint? Five, ten, twenty years? Newcastle United ran self sufficiently at the top level for nearly 15 years, all the while paying top end transfer fees. Now suddenly a 5m fee will cripple the club despite us selling 50m worth of players within the last 2 years as well as slashing the wage bill that Ashley built up?

He is a proven liar and I don't believe for a second that he's not lying on this. How long is everyone still going to take his word as gospel? ???

It was widely accepted on this forum - that he was putting in £20 million a year - of his own wealth - into the club a year.  I think IIRC the clubs accounts proved this too.

Since then we have had relegation and a worldwide recession.  Now if that nugget of info was accepted (20 mil a year) as fact here last time around - how are we better financially now?  Surely we would be in a worse state right?

I dont expect the club to run around splashing the cash, but we can afford more than £1.5million, no doubt about it. If Stoke and Wolves can spunk over £10million on players, then surely we could manage at least half that.

How did the club pay big fees and big wages for 15 years without outside investment then? That's without selling 50m worth of players and having a mortgage to pay!

You've given the reason pretty much why we can no longer do that.

If we are in the bottom 3 come Xmas you can guarantee the silly fat bastard will find some money to try and avoid relegation. Too little too late again more than likely.

How did the club pay big fees and big wages for 15 years without outside investment then? That's without selling 50m worth of players and having a mortgage to pay!

Im no expert, but dident we use future revenue, borrowed money for this?

Nothing wrong to borrow money if you have the ability to pay back, and afford to take the risk.

Im not sure if we are in that possition now.