Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

To be fair, if even some of the quotes and reports have been true, it seems like we've behaved pretty well during this saga and stood strong for the deal we wanted.

A little bit of credit must go to the club for that.

I think the biggest reason we have got Ben Arfa here is because for some insane reason he had his heart set on coming here. For our part we put in an offer and kept our fingers crossed he wouldn't go anywhere else.

Dunno why people keep saying that. I think it's more he had his heart set on leaving Marseille, and at the time his Newcastle quotes came out we were the only club who he'd spoken to or who had made an offer. I don't for one second think he's forced this through out of any burning desire to play for us.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Quite hard to make a starting XI if Keane, Tiote, Ben Arfa all signed and Gosling and Campbell both became fit.

It's a good thing having depth. We will get injuries and suspensions so we will need to use them.

To be fair, if even some of the quotes and reports have been true, it seems like we've behaved pretty well during this saga and stood strong for the deal we wanted.

I think the biggest reason we have got Ben Arfa here is because for some insane reason he had his heart set on coming here. For our part we put in an offer and kept our fingers crossed he wouldn't go anywhere else.

And what do you think was the insane reason he wanted to come here? Llambias and Hughton selling him the club, no?

Beside HE IS NOT COMING lads, stop getting your hopes up.

What's all this about him knocking back Real Madrid? Is that for real? :lol:

He wouldn't have got into their starting XI. So, yes, it is.

Fair enough, but still, turning down Madrid and Mourinho, probably the best manager in the world to play for us makes me pretty happy if true. :smitten:

Quite hard to make a starting XI if Keane, Tiote, Ben Arfa all signed and Gosling and Campbell both became fit.

It's a good thing having depth. We will get injuries and suspensions so we will need to use them.

True.

Will still be interesting what our new look team will look like then. We haven't had that many options for some years.

And what do you think was the insane reason he wanted to come here? Llambias and Hughton selling him the club, no?

Hughton basically. I doubt he even knows who Llambias is.

Fair enough, but still, turning down Madrid and Mourinho, probably the best manager in the world to play for us makes me pretty happy if true. :smitten:

He only turned down the 2nd best manager of the world, man. He's joined the best one.  :lol:

He only turned down the 2nd best manager of the world, man. He's joined the best one.  :lol:

Sorry, how silly of me. :D

I'd like to think that the main detals of his contract were sorted when he came over 2 weeks ago. I know we officially said we were refusing to talk to him without permission but I think we may have had the odd chat or 3 to sort something out.

You never know though.  :shifty:

I'd like to think that the main detals of his contract were sorted when he came over 2 weeks ago. I know we officially said we were refusing to talk to him without permission but I think we may have had the odd chat or 3 to sort something out.

You never know though.  :shifty:

You might be right. He did say when he went back that he'd spoke to Hughton and he'd offered him a central playmaker role, didn't he?

Got to say, fair play to Ashley on this one, didn't let Marseilles hold us to ransom and we look to have got our man. The last 2 transfer windows actually have been pretty quality, both last January and so far this summer we've identified positions that need strengthening, and gone out and gotten the players we need, spending money when needed. Well happy, tbh. :thup: