Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Heneage

2 players confirmed as staying with their club, and the third who looked distinctly average for Preston last season. I despair Taylor, you seem a nice guy, but I'm glad you aren't making decisions for this Football club.

Taylor27 you're taking the f***ing piss with this transfer like. Honestly, what the f*** do you want?

I want us to sign the best players we can afford that can keep us in this division. I'm just not sure he is one of those.

what for 800k, are you seriously taking the piss?

That is a fairly expensive loan fee to be honest. at that price there could be alternatives, maybe not with the ability or track record, but with some talent and no tendency of going missing...

right, name these players then

or would prefer an amdy faye signing

Cleverley, Wellbeck, Wilshere

... what is wrong with you?

mackem in disguise

Not sure that's being entirely fair to the mackems.

DING DING!

Back to your corners.. official warning LOW BLOW!

I'm really confused as to why he wants to play for us so badly, I know people have said its the lure of the Premiership, but he's turned down way better teams to get here - reportedly. He doesn't have a large family that wish to claim benefits does he?  :harry:

Apart from the OTT wages, what is the lure of the Premiership?

Some of the world's best players to play with and against, in some of the world's best stadia. The prestige of the league and the adulation players receive is second to none.

Even if you don't rate the quality of the football, the lure is obvious.

Bollocks. Most the worlds best footballers dont play in the PL and players dont make career moves based on the quality of the stadia at away games. They want to go to clubs that can win things, failing that they chase the wonga. As we have no chance of winning anything it must be the money thats luring him to the EPL.

He's playing the long game if you ask me. The Premier League is the most watched sports league on earth, if he comes to us and does well he can make a name for himself and command bigger money moves in the future. The alternatives for him are stay in France or go to Germany, Russia or Portugal.

If he does join us and he does pull up trees he'll not be playing for us on 2011/12.

Thats certainly more plausible than Daves theory about him being enticed by the quality of the stadia.

I was only questioning the lure of the PL cliché as this isnt a done deal and if money is the key factor theres still plenty of scope for the clubs cheapskate recruitment policy to scupper the move, which would be a shitter as we really need some genuine creativity in the side.

If he signs on big money theres also the possibility somebody will be sold to keep the wage bill at its current level.

I think the lure of the Premier League is still quite big for outsiders despite the fact most fans in England now seem to recognise that it's barely comparable to La Liga or even a pretty pish Serie A. The Premier League has benefitted from money and extremely clever marketing.

Just because Barcelona are class doesn't make Spanish football better than ours. Real Madrid (pre Mourinho) would get beat by our top 3 IMO. Technically it might be better on the eye but that doesn't make it "better" football.

La Liga has some s**** teams in it too.

Debatable. If you went down the league and matched our 20 and their 20 up in order I'd fancy their lot most of the time. The bottom half of the Premier League was f***ing awful last year.

What makes it for me is the fact that our second tier of the premiership Everton, City, Villa and Liverpool are all of better quality than the likes of Getafe, Maljorca etc.

Thatll be why a second tier English club hasnt won the UEFA Cup since 1984.

We are talking about the premiership now though. I can't defend the first division in 1984 ;)

Cleverley and Wilshere are not being loaned out, Welbeck has gone to Sunderland.

Why did Sunderland choose Welbeck over him?

Hell why are Birmingham looking to buy Charles N'Zogbia when they can get this guy? Where are West Ham, Wigan, Stoke, Blackburn?

Like I said, why not wait 12 months before deciding whether this is a good move or not? I'd be delighted to be wrong.

You've got to be an elaborate wum.

Cleverley and Wilshere are not being loaned out, Welbeck has gone to Sunderland.

Hell why are Birmingham looking to buy Charles N'Zogbia when they can get this guy? Where are West Ham, Wigan, Stoke, Blackburn?

Like I said, why not wait 12 months before deciding whether this is a good move or not? I'd be delighted to be wrong.

How come you're not waiting 12 months before giving your opinion on the transfer?

How come you're not waiting 12 months before giving your opinion on the transfer?

Well if you look at my posts, I say things like "could be", "unsure" "uncertain" "gamble," things which I won't know for 12 months and am happy to admit that.

So what should the transfer policy be if anyone who would play for Newcastle must be s***?

"Hi, we're interested in signing your young striker."

"I've spoken to him and he's said he'd be interested in the transfer"

"You've just talked yourself out of a deal, good day sir!" *click* brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:lol: Spot on.

If he was really good and cool, he'd be playing hard to get.

"You want to go to Newcastle?"

"Maybe..I dunno. Whatevers"

Why was noone else in for Enrique? Why was noone else in for Jonas? Why was noone else in for Routledge? Williamson? Coloccini? - these are some of our better players, and there wasn't exactly a fight to get them.

The interest levels of other clubs means fuck all to a player's ability.

Guest malandro

It’s a fair question, and one the happy clappers don’t want to address.

Hasn’t he got a reputation for being a disruptive influence?

Guest neesy111

Well if you look at my posts, I say things like "could be", "unsure" "uncertain" "gamble," things which I won't know for 12 months and am happy to admit that.

every signing is a risk and gamble

800k loan signing compared to some of the risks we've done in the past:

3.5M on christian basedas

6M on marcelino

7M on carl cort

8M on viana

9M on boumsong

16M on micky 'cunt' owen

11M on albert luque

5M on damien duff

800k loan signing is nothing compared to our shocking long list of transfers which haven't worked out

It’s a fair question, and one the happy clappers don’t want to address.

Hasn’t he got a reputation for being a disruptive influence?

:facepalm: ffs :lol:

And to think, people ask people aren't positive on this board - because you get shot down for thinking that a player we're about to sign might just improve the team - sorry, he's going to be utterly terrible and he's going to beat up all our decent players and we'll lose every game 5-0 and go down. Better? Have a fucking word.

Surely you can't not see that question and feel any uncertainty. If this player is as good as he's been made out, his availability and price is of such that you'd expect the bottom half of the Premier League going for him. Why are these managers not doing so?

There are always alternatives, fair enough I've named some bad ones, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. I'm just unsure whether or not we'd get better over a season from looking at signing more hardworking alternatives.

I'm not going to argue this any more though, as very typically for this forum, people have got attached to a name that is foreign and described as 'creative.' The reality is we'll all just have to wait and see.

I'm not going to argue this any more though, as very typically for this forum, people have got attached to a name that is foreign and described as 'creative.' The reality is we'll all just have to wait and see.

FFS man, people have faith - there's no need to shoot it down. Nobody is suggesting he's going to be the next Messi, they're just happy that we seem to be looking at players that might have a bit of skill about them. How dare we be slightly positive eh?!

Guest neesy111

FFS man, people have faith - there's no need to shoot it down. Nobody is suggesting he's going to be the next Messi, they're just happy that we seem to be looking at players that might have a bit of skill about them. How dare we be slightly positive eh?!

exactly, i get told off from people for being negative etc, and then when i'm positive about this signing, i get shot down still, can never win eh

Guest MrBrown

Surely you can't not see that question and feel any uncertainty. If this player is as good as he's been made out, his availability and price is of such that you'd expect the bottom half of the Premier League going for him. Why are these managers not doing so?

There are always alternatives, fair enough I've named some bad ones, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. I'm just unsure whether or not we'd get better over a season from looking at signing more hardworking alternatives.

We HAVE hardworking alternatives. They are not particularly good. We don't need any more grafters; we are crying out for some flair and creativity. For the course of a season, we couldn't do much better in our position. Other managers might not particularly need him. We do. They may have higher priorities. We don't.

No one has automatically assumed that he's creative just because he's foreign. He has been known for quite some time, to anyone with a reasonable amount of football knowledge (ie, not you), as a gifted player with a chip on his shoulder that prevents him from reaching the heights he could.

Guest malandro

Why was noone else in for Enrique? Why was noone else in for Jonas? Why was noone else in for Routledge? Williamson? Coloccini? - these are some of our better players, and there wasn't exactly a fight to get them.

The interest levels of other clubs means f*** all to a player's ability.

Because Enrique cost £6m. Coloccini cost £10m and Jonas was signed under some dodgy interpretation of the Webster Ruling that turned out to be crap and we ended up paying over £4m. Oh, and they’re all on top wages and came to the club when we still had a good reputation. Whereas this lad is apparently not only brilliant but aviable on for a measly £800k loan fee.

The interest levels of other clubs means fuck all to a player's ability.

Last thing I'm going to say on this, but those are really bad examples. Enrique was unknown in the PL at that time, and our interest inhim wasn't so well known. Portsmouth tried to sign Jonas at one point, and when we did it we got him on the quiet. We were the best club Routledge and Williamson could play for. Colo cost £10m.

Ben Arfa is completely different. He has a very good track record and his availability is widely known but has been completely ignored by other clubs who could easily compete with us. Hence uncertainty.

Fucking shit this. Hughton's a cunt, signing these poncy foreign players with pedigree rather than keeping our current squad. I'm pretty skeptical about this to be honest, I reckon he could start picking fights with the entire squad and ruin our team morale. What if he doesn't grow facial hair with everybody else and they take umbridge about it? I'd much rather we took a gamble on somebody who hasn't proven jacksh*t in his career but plays for one of the big four. Why is nobody else signing him if he's so good, we should be competing with everybody else rather than looking for sneaky bargains under other teams noses

Hope this doesn't mean Smudger will be forced out of the team. Or captain Nolan for that matter.

Shit signing. MASSIVE gamble.

[/Taylor27]

Guest MrBrown

Last thing I'm going to say on this, but those are really bad examples. Enrique was unknown in the PL at that time, and our interest inhim wasn't so well known. Portsmouth tried to sign Jonas at one point, and when we did it we got him on the quiet. We were the best club Routledge and Williamson could play for. Colo cost £10m.

Ben Arfa is completely different. He has a very good track record and his availability is widely known but has been completely ignored by other clubs who could easily compete with us. Hence uncertainty.

... how do you reconcile this 'very good track record ' with your implication that he's shit?

... how do you reconcile this 'very good track record ' with your implication that he's shit?

I don't think he's shit, I'm unsure he'll fit in and fulfil his talent on a consistent basis. Big difference!

I like the signing but I'm not going to pretend i have watched him more then once - i know nothing about him - other than he's supposedly good but couldn't make it into a poor WC French team and that hardly any clubs are in for him. 

And people saying this seems to be a pretty risk-free and positive signing won't know if that's true for 12 months either, but they're the only ones who apparently shouldn't have an opinion about it for another year.

I like the signing but I'm not going to pretend i have watched him more then once - i know nothing about him - other than he's supposedly good but couldn't make it into a poor WC French team and that hardly any clubs are in for him. 

Nasri and Benzema didn't get into the France squad. Would you take them?

They aren't ''big clubs''.