Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

heres what i don't get, i can understand not wanting to go to russia or to a lesser extent hoffenheim but not benfica? champions league football and possibility of winning trophies or a relegation battle and if he does well in portugal big sides will see it and he'll be able to earn a big move

Aye, can't quite fathom that one myself.

Simple, after one year with us, he can go wherever he wants at a low price as he thinks he'll be good enough.

Sign a permanent deal with Benfica and he'll find it harder to leave.

I'm really confused as to why he wants to play for us so badly, I know people have said its the lure of the Premiership, but he's turned down way better teams to get here - reportedly. He doesn't have a large family that wish to claim benefits does he?  :harry:

Apart from the OTT wages, what is the lure of the Premiership?

Some of the world's best players to play with and against, in some of the world's best stadia. The prestige of the league and the adulation players receive is second to none.

Even if you don't rate the quality of the football, the lure is obvious.

Bollocks. Most the world’s best footballers don’t play in the PL and players don’t make career moves based on the quality of the stadia at away games. They want to go to clubs that can win things, failing that they chase the wonga. As we have no chance of winning anything it must be the money that’s luring him to the EPL.

He's playing the long game if you ask me. The Premier League is the most watched sports league on earth, if he comes to us and does well he can make a name for himself and command bigger money moves in the future. The alternatives for him are stay in France or go to Germany, Russia or Portugal.

If he does join us and he does pull up trees he'll not be playing for us on 2011/12.

That’s certainly more plausible than Dave’s theory about him being enticed by the quality of the stadia.

I was only questioning the ‘lure of the PL’ cliché as this isn’t a done deal and if money is the key factor there’s still plenty of scope for the club’s cheapskate recruitment policy to scupper the move, which would be a shitter as we really need some genuine creativity in the side.

If he signs on big money there’s also the possibility somebody will be sold to keep the wage bill at its current level.

I think the lure of the Premier League is still quite big for outsiders despite the fact most fans in England now seem to recognise that it's barely comparable to La Liga or even a pretty pish Serie A. The Premier League has benefitted from money and extremely clever marketing.

Guest malandro

heres what i don't get, i can understand not wanting to go to russia or to a lesser extent hoffenheim but not benfica? champions league football and possibility of winning trophies or a relegation battle and if he does well in portugal big sides will see it and he'll be able to earn a big move

Simple, after one year with us, he can go wherever he wants at a low price as he thinks he'll be good enough.

Why not go on loan to Benfica? 

The lure of the Premier League. :pow:

This tbh. We're a great stepping stone for him - big club in a big league but he's not bound to us. Man United and Liverpool were sniffing around a few years ago, he's got to see that as a missed opportunity he'll want to put right.

Guest neesy111

tbf, i wouldn't be disappointed if he was to replace jonas in the team, jonas simply will not create anything in the premiership

Phil Babb played well in Portugal and it got him a move to Sunderland. Hardly the best stage to make a name for yourself on :lol:

Probably because he wants to go to the Premier League. No decent club in the PL will touch him right now, so I imagine he wants to prove himself, and where better to do it than here.

See Tevez and Mascherano.

Krul

Taylor      Colo     Sol     Jose

Routledge Barton Guthrie Jonas

Arfa

Carroll

Easy blud, innit.

Now send it to Hughton.. coz I bet that aint even entered his head

:D

on the other hand proving himself on the champions league stage would attract a lot of interest and portugese sides do have a tendency to sell players to big clubs

I'm really confused as to why he wants to play for us so badly, I know people have said its the lure of the Premiership, but he's turned down way better teams to get here - reportedly. He doesn't have a large family that wish to claim benefits does he?  :harry:

Apart from the OTT wages, what is the lure of the Premiership?

Some of the world's best players to play with and against, in some of the world's best stadia. The prestige of the league and the adulation players receive is second to none.

Even if you don't rate the quality of the football, the lure is obvious.

Bollocks. Most the worlds best footballers dont play in the PL and players dont make career moves based on the quality of the stadia at away games. They want to go to clubs that can win things, failing that they chase the wonga. As we have no chance of winning anything it must be the money thats luring him to the EPL.

He's playing the long game if you ask me. The Premier League is the most watched sports league on earth, if he comes to us and does well he can make a name for himself and command bigger money moves in the future. The alternatives for him are stay in France or go to Germany, Russia or Portugal.

If he does join us and he does pull up trees he'll not be playing for us on 2011/12.

Thats certainly more plausible than Daves theory about him being enticed by the quality of the stadia.

I was only questioning the lure of the PL cliché as this isnt a done deal and if money is the key factor theres still plenty of scope for the clubs cheapskate recruitment policy to scupper the move, which would be a shitter as we really need some genuine creativity in the side.

If he signs on big money theres also the possibility somebody will be sold to keep the wage bill at its current level.

I think the lure of the Premier League is still quite big for outsiders despite the fact most fans in England now seem to recognise that it's barely comparable to La Liga or even a pretty pish Serie A. The Premier League has benefitted from money and extremely clever marketing.

Just because Barcelona are class doesn't make Spanish football better than ours. Real Madrid (pre Mourinho) would get beat by our top 3 IMO. Technically it might be better on the eye but that doesn't make it "better" football.

La Liga has some shite teams in it too.