Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

don't change a team that got us where we are?

So you'd keep Ryan Taylor in even though he was shown up completely on Saturday?

Hold on a minute. This is the same Ryan Taylor who has gained us quite a few points recently? Drop him for a couple of mistakes under pressure against the leagues best team? Drop the fella whose done so well for the last 10 games for a young kid who is untried or tested in the prem?

Same lad that would have been a hell of a lot more exposed had it not been for the chap playing in front of him on the left wing.  Forgot his name again?  Who is it?

See this is a debatable point.  ;)

I get how Jonas was asked to do a job against Stoke and it worked. But......

He now doesnt attack at all (not that I think it was ever great).

If we had someone, him or another, attacking down the left, that would also ease pressure on Taylor because they would be defending against us and not us sitting back at defending against them.

Whether you agree with me, you'll have heard the phrase " the best line of defence is attack". Basically what Im getting at here.

And, because he is attacking we have turned very one sided with most attacks coming down the right either with Obertan or Sammi. Much better in my deluded opinion to have attacks going down both flanks.  :)

If we had someone, him or another, attacking down the left, that would also ease pressure on Taylor because they would be defending against us and not us sitting back at defending against them.

Place attacking player on left, tell attacking player to attack, opposing midfielders and defenders therefor helpless to infinite attacks.

:troll: Problem, fullback fags?

So you'd keep Ryan Taylor in even though he was shown up completely on Saturday?

Hold on a minute. This is the same Ryan Taylor who has gained us quite a few points recently? Drop him for a couple of mistakes under pressure against the leagues best team? Drop the fella whose done so well for the last 10 games for a young kid who is untried or tested in the prem?

Same lad that would have been a hell of a lot more exposed had it not been for the chap playing in front of him on the left wing.  Forgot his name again?  Who is it?

Whether you agree with me, you'll have heard the phrase " the best line of defence is attack". Basically what Im getting at here.

And, because he is attacking we have turned very one sided with most attacks coming down the right either with Obertan or Sammi. Much better in my deluded opinion to have attacks going down both flanks.  :)

You do realise that you've just completely contradicted yourself here, right?

Nope, I dont...... :)

You've basically just criticised and taken a high ground over posters in this thread for wanting to change a system 'that saw us go 11 games unbeaten' but then just said you want to change it round in other ways, even suggesting omitting Jonas from the side.

You've basically just criticised and taken a high ground over posters in this thread for wanting to change a system 'that saw us go 11 games unbeaten' but then just said you want to change it round in other ways, even suggesting omitting Jonas from the side.

Not really. Its pretty clear Im talking about the role he has been asked to play been a problem rather than it been his fault.

Not really. Its pretty clear Im talking about the role he has been asked to play been a problem rather than it been his fault.

Doesn't matter. You've highlighted an area/system within the team you think should be changed despite by your own admission telling other people on here to not even entertain the idea of playing Ben Arfa (despite playing better against City than Best has for a number of weeks) because it's not part of the 'successful formula'. If you're listening to your own stance, then really you should have nowt to debate/complain about and you should be 100% happy with the role Jonas plays.

Doesn't matter. You've highlighted an area/system within the team you think should be changed despite by your own admission telling other people on here to not even entertain the idea of playing Ben Arfa (despite playing better against City than Best has for a number of weeks) because it's not part of the 'successful formula'. If you're listening to your own stance, then really you should have nowt to debate/complain about and you should be 100% happy with the role Jonas plays.

Why bother. If we ignore him he might get bored and go away.

I was fucking sure he was taking the piss when he backed up his argument for benching Ben Arfa was that we should go back to the undefeated side. What in the absolute fuck is he on? :lol:

So come on then, who would you leave out?

Best, Ba, Obertan?

Best as he needs some time in the reserves to get back to match fitness.

Absolute twaddle.  :lol:

Comparing the lack of attacking play from Jonas to whether a recovering player should start ahead of an established performer this season is simply twaddle.

A couple of flashes of potential from HBA does not equate to more than the ball retention, graft and goals that Best has contributed to get us to where we are.

I was fucking sure he was taking the piss when he backed up his argument for benching Ben Arfa was that we should go back to the undefeated side. What in the absolute fuck is he on? :lol:

So come on then, who would you leave out?

Best, Ba, Obertan?

Best as he needs some time in the reserves to get back to match fitness.

:lol:  very good

Comparing the lack of attacking play from Jonas to whether a recovering player should start ahead of an established performer this season is simply twaddle.

A couple of flashes of potential from HBA does not equate to more than the ball retention, graft and goals that Best has contributed to get us to where we are.

Best hasn't scored since September.

Best hasn't scored since September.

It's been a while.

Ba has scored 8 times since then. Best allows him to play to his natural strengths in a withdrawn striking role. If you ask Ba to do all the chasing down that Best does, he'd be knackered after 45 minutes instead of 65.

Think it's ludicrous to suggest Ben Arfa should replace him on the back of the City performance. Did he play well? Yes, but his most important contribution was giving away a daft penalty. There simply has to legitemate proof that Ben Arfa can contribute hugely to our cause before we undermine both Best and Ba to accomodate him as a forward. Still see no reason why he can't play as a false winger.

I love how you don't like Jonas because he lacks end product, yet Best, who's really not been at all productive during our best spell but does work hard, should be kept in. Strikers should have at least a decent return of end product man, in terms of creating or scoring, more than any other position.

As for completely missing my point, well what can I say? You just can't criticise anyone for wanting to change things around a bit, then go and do it yourself, with something that has been THE key to our success, aka the defensive side of our game. We would certainly not have been where we are if we'd followed 'attack is the best form of defence', Ryan Taylor would have been left far too exposed.

I love how you don't like Jonas because he lacks end product, yet Best, who's really not been at all productive during our best spell but does work hard, should be kept in. Strikers should have at least a decent return of end product man, in terms of creating or scoring, more than any other position.

As for completely missing my point, well what can I say? You just can't criticise anyone for wanting to change things around a bit, then go and do it yourself, with something that has been THE key to our success, aka the defensive side of our game. We would certainly not have been where we are if we'd followed 'attack is the best form of defence', Ryan Taylor would have been left far too exposed.

Re Best, I think theres not much I can add to what Robaldo says above.

Re Jonas, if you cant see how his attacking play has suffered of late Im not sure what else to say. We cant simply rely on a one sided attack imo.