Milner and City

alpal78

James Milner has developed into a fantastic midfielder during his time at Villa. I'm gutted to see him leave.

I hope that one day we will see him back at Villa (where he belongs).

Why is it where he belongs?

26 million for milner

13 million or so for ozil

nuff said.

Quoted for truth

I never rated him when he was playing for us, he did well for Villa but no way is he a 20M player. I rate him in the 10M bracket, City paid over the odds for most of their signings, and they paid well over the odds for Milner.

What are your thoughts? I must declare my bias, I think he is just average and the assist for Defoe or any other games he played for England didn't change my mind one bit. Even in today's inflated market, I rate him as 8-13M player but it seems City is gonna pay in excess of 20M for him and they might end up paying more than they paid for David Silva which to me is just mental! What do you guys think, will he improve City at all? With the likes of Silva and Johnson as wingers already, what could Mancini be looking for?

About half the fee is because he's an England international. He's a well drilled but decidedly average footballer who'll work hard but chip in with goals and assists, and can just about mask his poor technical ability enough to not look like a mong against the top teams. I can see City's logic in buying him, they'll be getting a relatively solid player in who can cover a number of positions, has a high profile due to the alright season he's just had/getting into the national team, and he'll help fill their domestic-player quota.

The fuss made over him has been ridiculous, certainly. You'd think he was the next Paul Scholes judging by some of the shit said about him, despite him showing 1/10th of the ability. At the moment, I have him down as being a very poor man's Rob Lee, although there's the possibility that he'll improve further.

What annoys me about him though is that like players like Owen, he's just as devious and greedy as the French "mercs" who get regularly put down for being open about it. Just because he's a cunt in private doesn't mean he's not a cunt at all. The only difference between him and someone like Zog (who imo is still the better winger) is that Zog is ignorant enough to go through the media about his woes, whereas Milner will just put on a mask and say what the fans want to hear (or say nothing at all) whilst getting his agents to quietly stab said fans and employers in the back.

On that note, what happened to all the "Milner is a proper professional, really down to earth, look he don't even have an agent, the PFA represent him, how humble is that?" stuff? This model pro image of him is bullshit. He's dumped Villa, the club that made him and is clearly willing to build around him, at the first opportunity to move sideways to a club that is offering him ridiculous wages and quite possibly after a few shit performances, a place on the bench. Down to earth my arse, he's like any other player who gets shat on for being greedy, flash the money and he'll go running. He did the same to us, requesting a transfer because he wanted higher wages (because he crossed the ball 200 times out of play or into the goalkeeper) - a year after signing a new contract with us.

So not only is he overrated, but he's also a dislikeable greedy bastard with a golden boy image. It's annoying. Though I'll admit to being biased against him because of the type of footballer he is (in the Dirk Kuyt mould almost).

Some very scathing comments from Stephen Ireland about the way City is run at the moment. He says Mancini is distant from the players, there's no team spirit, and players are being booted out to make way for new ones who aren't any better.

Amazing that it's the ones no longer deemed good enough for them that are saying this isn't it?

Mancini has been given a target to win the title or top 4 minimum so has to be ruthless.

For him to do that he needs to be a great man manager due to the massive changes and upheaval like Mourinho did at Chelsea, but from several sources it sounds like he manages players as well as Gazza manages alcohol.

Guest firetotheworks

That's not the point Chris. The point is that the players deemed not good enough, are blatantly good enough, if not better than some of the shit they've brought in. Stephen Ireland has been better than Milner ever has. That's as clear as day.

Amazing that it's the ones no longer deemed good enough for them that are saying this isn't it?

Mancini has been given a target to win the title or top 4 minimum so has to be ruthless.

I don't think it's just sour grapes. I think City are in too much of a hurry. If you make too many changes, then there's no chance of building team spirit. It also can't help that a lot of the new players have made the decision to leave CL clubs purely for the money that City are offering.

And FWIW I don't think Milner is significantly better than what they already have. Ireland, on the other hand, offers them something different.

That's not the point Chris. The point is that the players deemed not good enough, are blatantly good enough, if not better than some of the shit they've brought in. Stephen Ireland has been better than Milner ever has. That's as clear as day.

I think he's made a mistake forcing out some of their key players that were seen as the future of the club before the money turned up because it means the club really does feel like just a soulless toy. I think a big part of Chelsea's success has been due to keeping Terry and Lampard, not just because of how good they are but because they represent Chelsea FC and they (particularly Terry, a youth product) did back when they didn't have a pot to piss in. I think Ireland could quite easily have been their Lampard when surrounded by better players.

James Milner has developed into a fantastic midfielder during his time at Villa. I'm gutted to see him leave.

I hope that one day we will see him back at Villa (where he belongs).

Why is it where he belongs?

Aye, why? I'm sure he's played more and scored more for us than he has for Villa.