Milner and City

alpal78

Looks like Milner to City is almost a done deal.

Martin O'Neill has given the biggest indication yet that James Milner is on the verge of moving to Manchester City after leaving him out of Aston Villa's friendly against Valencia.

Milner has been a target for Roberto Mancini all summer and Villa rejected a £20 million bid from City for Milner in May, but Villa manager O'Neill said Milner could sign for City as soon as soon as the weekend as the clubs near an agreement on a valuation. Reports indicate City midfielder Stephen Ireland could head in the other direction as part of the deal.

Speaking after his side's goalless draw with Valencia, O'Neill appeared resigned to losing the England midfielder, saying he would prefer the deal to be resolved quickly to allow him time to reinvest the funds.

"We didn't play him against Valencia because there could be something happening in terms of the transfer over the weekend or Monday or Tuesday," O'Neill said. "Until that possibly develops I thought it best to leave him out of the Valencia game.

"To my knowledge no fee has been agreed but talks are taking place involving our chief executive and the chairman. I think for everyone's benefit it is probably time to try and get something done. Losing your best players at the club obviously causes you a headache and it is a problem. It happened two years ago with Gareth Barry when it was not resolved. I'm sure that no-one wants to go down that route again. If and when the transfer takes place I will have to speak to the chairman about future transfer dealings.''

What are your thoughts? I must declare my bias, I think he is just average and the assist for Defoe or any other games he played for England didn't change my mind one bit. Even in today's inflated market, I rate him as 8-13M player but it seems City is gonna pay in excess of 20M for him and they might end up paying more than they paid for David Silva which to me is just mental! What do you guys think, will he improve City at all? With the likes of Silva and Johnson as wingers already, what could Mancini be looking for?

Man City seem to have a policy of paying huge amounts for players who aren't much better than the ones they've got. Their transfer policy seems a bit unfocused to me, which suggests that it's not really in the hands of the manager.

I know it's a theme on here, but i honestly don't believe milner is that good. When we sold him i thought we fleeced villa. Fair play to the lad he's gone on to have a couple of cracking seasons, but martin oneill has had countless players do that. Stan varga ffs? It wouldn't surprise me at all if moving to city sets milner back years.

Villa have got the better end of the deal.

However i'd put money on O'Neill being the first manager out the door this year. I don't know what it is really, i just think he's fighting a losing battle at Villa. The way he's pussy-footed around in the transfer market is gonna be his downfall. He had a really decent couple of years and needed a Bellamy/Robert to push them on. They could have broken the top 4 last season if O'Neill had signed the right players.

I think they'll stutter this year and he'll walk/be pushed.

The Milner thing's just ridiculous though. They're gonna get some serious wedge to bolster the squad and i can see him blowing the opportunity again.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Villa have got the better end of the deal.

However i'd put money on O'Neill being the first manager out the door this year. I don't know what it is really, i just think he's fighting a losing battle at Villa. The way he's pussy-footed around in the transfer market is gonna be his downfall. He had a really decent couple of years and needed a Bellamy/Robert to push them on. They could have broken the top 4 last season if O'Neill had signed the right players.

I think they'll stutter this year and he'll walk/be pushed.

The Milner thing's just ridiculous though. They're gonna get some serious wedge to bolster the squad and i can see him blowing the opportunity again.

:thup:

I agree with all of that ^

I know it's a theme on here, but i honestly don't believe milner is that good. When we sold him i thought we fleeced villa. Fair play to the lad he's gone on to have a couple of cracking seasons, but martin oneill has had countless players do that. Stan varga ffs? It wouldn't surprise me at all if moving to city sets milner back years.

He isn't that good, this is a case of a) Villa not needing to sell and naming a ridiculous price and b) City paying whatever just to get what they want. 

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Man City seem to have a policy of paying huge amounts for players who aren't much better than the ones they've got. Their transfer policy seems a bit unfocused to me, which suggests that it's not really in the hands of the manager.

Mark Hughes suggested as much during his Fulham interview. MoN is my favourite to leave/be fired first this season too.

I've spoke recently to an ex footballer. Won't say names... ;)

And he said O'Neill was an arrogant arse who never trained the players and when he did he just f***ed up the training sessions. And it was like a dark cloud coming over the sessions when he talked.

• 2 weeks later...

Was it a deal worth £20m including Ireland or £20m+Ireland?  Because I was a fan of Milner while he was here and I was really sorry to lose him (Ignoring the pretty healthy fee that wasn't really going to help us on the field anyway).  But Ireland had a cracking few seasons for City before he was edged out after the takeover and if he gets a bit of match practise I don't think there's going to be that much between them

Was it a deal worth £20m including Ireland or £20m+Ireland?  Because I was a fan of Milner while he was here and I was really sorry to lose him (Ignoring the pretty healthy fee that wasn't really going to help us on the field anyway).  But Ireland had a cracking few seasons for City before he was edged out after the takeover and if he gets a bit of match practise I don't think there's going to be that much between them

I agree, there really isn't much between them.

£16m + Ireland (who also got £1.5m from City to leave) + add-ons according to most reports I've read.

£16m + Ireland (who also got £1.5m from City to leave) + add-ons according to most reports I've read.

That would rate Ireland at around £15m since Villa rejected a £24m fee before MON left.

James Milner has developed into a fantastic midfielder during his time at Villa. I'm gutted to see him leave.

I hope that one day we will see him back at Villa (where he belongs).