Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

Guest sittingontheball

Jumped before being pushed perhaps, though being pushed usually means a big payoff, so praise is due if he didn't stick around for one.

They'll have to get his replacement right otherwise it could be crash and burn like when we ditched SBR. With a good replacement, that would have been a good decision too. As Sourmess proved, the wheels can come off pretty quick, even from a team arguably better than Villa's is now.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Fuck me, that little upstart Milner has caused some havoc at clubs hasn't he?

First off Keegan walked cos of him, now MoN. What's so special about him?  :idiot2:

He has 7 big blue boxes of Lego. No one else in the Premier League has as much Lego as James Milner. No one.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Martin-O-Neil-resigned-as-Aston-Villa-manager-because-he-lost-the-dressing-room-and-he-didn-t-like-the-financial-cut-backs-article548757.html

Martin O'Neil dramatically quit Aston Villa yesterday after losing the dressing room and being frustrated by financial cut-backs at the club.

Villa players were last night texting each other images of champagne bottles to celebrate O’Neill’s exit - just five days before the season starts

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Martin-O-Neil-resigned-as-Aston-Villa-manager-because-he-lost-the-dressing-room-and-he-didn-t-like-the-financial-cut-backs-article548757.html#ixzz0wBIUE2BM

Could be something in that, the players not being too fond of him I mean. Read an interview with Carew in the paper on sat where he ranked the best managers he'd played under in his opinion, with O'Neill getting last place on his "list".

Could be something in that, the players not being too fond of him I mean. Read an interview with Carew in the paper on sat where he ranked the best managers he'd played under in his opinion, with O'Neill getting last place on his "list".

It's sad if it's true. O'Neill has had a good managerial career, and man management is supposed to be one of his strengths.

I suspect he lost heart at Villa as he couldn't see himself taking the club any further forward, and if he loses confidence himself, he's not going to be able to motivate the players. He's never been one to hide his feelings.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

O'Neil lets his assistants take training, he only really talks at length to them on match days so I hear.

Yup, heard that too.

O'Neil lets his assistants take training, he only really talks at length to them on match days so I hear.

If true then that is much the same way as Brian Clough went about his job. What a surprise.

Yeah, as with Clough, O’Neill isn’t a coach. He stands back and concentrates on the bigger picture, in terms of the players’ states of mind, team selection and player recruitment.

What has always been said is that although he doesn’t say much to the players, what he does say carries some impact, almost because of the distance that he keeps. It looks like he may have lost that connection at Villa. Like Clough did at Leeds, of course.

I had to google that just to see his list, and O'Neill seems to be number 4, after Eggen, Capello and Benitez, and before del Bosque, Cuper and Houllier. Seems reasonable enough.

i study in birmingham and have sat in the holte end a couple of times for villa games. the fans are absolutely unbelievable! the amount of abuse they gave their team when they drew 1-1 against sunderland was in my opinion, embaressing. not tarring all their fans with the same brush because that would be unfair but the overwhelming effect from the holte end was to boo, shout and generally get on the back of  their manager and team. the abuse heskey got just for being subbed on was unbelievable

Guest Roger Kint

Talksport suggesting our fans all want him here and it could happen. Then they say its harsh on Hughton......they are the only ones even talking about it.  ;D

Talksport suggesting our fans all want him here and it could happen. Then they say its harsh on Hughton......they are the only ones even talking about it.  ;D

Next step = much media discussion about fans hounding Hughton out and how its yet another example of being deluded, followed by Rod Liddle weighing in with an article about how the fans have been responsible for all the instability at Newcastle, and what a decent guy Hughton is etc etc

Guest Roger Kint

Next step = much media discussion about fans hounding Hughton out and how its yet another example of being deluded, followed by Rod Liddle weighing in with an article about how the fans have been responsible for all the instability at Newcastle, and what a decent guy Hughton is etc etc

They just had Dick Menace on the phone but i didnt hear what he had to say thankfully

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sick of this crap like, the way the media can speak on behalf a club's fanbase without any proof or evidence, painting a picture how they like, which other people then tag on to and assume is fact.

Sick of this crap like, the way the media can speak on behalf a club's fanbase without any proof or evidence, painting a picture how they like, which other people then tag on to and assume is fact.

the media want to create a circus here because it doesnt sit well with them to have things calm and quiet, best thing is to ignore them

Guest firetotheworks

To be honest, it's only those that you wouldn't care about informing, that would believe anything that talksport say. It seems that you have to have absolutely no knowledge of football to believe them. They know less about football than any football fan I've ever known. And I'm not using that as an exaggeration.

Guest secteur2010

Aye but they'll only do it to the less fashionable teams. Fucking wankers at Talksport need fucking shooting for the shite they spout each day. Especially that cunt Durham.

Guest Brummiemag

Will O'Neill want to work under Ashley = No

Will Ashley want to pay O'Neills Wages = No

End of Story

Just about sums it up perfectly - no half decent manager would contemplate taking the job with Ashley there