Egidio Arévalo

Optimistic Nut

Think this one deserves it's own thread now.

http://www.quenonino.com.uy/quenonino/tabid/37/idNoticia/25847/Pe%C3%B1arol/Default.aspx

This says that Arevalo hasn't in fact signed the new contract at Penarol due to the Uruguay squad's flight back home being delayed, and that he'll miss their match on Sunday due to a "muscle strain".

Last paragraph says...

As far as his transfer is concerned, it seems as though his destiny lies with Newcastle of the Premier League. One of his representatives Gerardo Rabajda, met with Pablo Bentancur (who has been in contact with the English club) in Lisbon, and both parties are close to an agreement. Penarol are looking to receive $1m, before taking into account the percentages of the intermediaries.

He looked tasty this summer.

Got to be question marks though, did he just hit a purple patch? At 28 he is hardly a household name, for me anyway. That could maybe be because he has never played outside South America, I don't have the slightest clue about the leagues there.

Nice for the price that's for sure.

Always preferred him in midfield to Speed even though I know I'll get shot for that. Also chipped in with some crucial goals (Chelsea & Spurs away in the season we came 4th spring to mind). Best example of him for me was Everton away that year, he cleared a corner in his own six-yards out to Bellamy. Bellamy sped 50 yards to the edge of the Everton box to Robert, he took a touch to control and rolled it across...for Acuna who must have sprinted 80 yards to finish off the move in the last few minutes of the match.

Probably get a bit of stick for this, but I'm more excited about this than I am about the Ben Arfa acquisition, and I am a fan of Ben Arfa's. However, I really detest our midfield as it is just so ponderous. Really hope we can add this guys toughness and energy to the mix.

Also Leeds of that same year away Acuna absolutely owned their midfield.

...but yeah Arevalo is 28... I thought there was a transfer policy?

We're talking less than £1 million though! Straight from Uruguay too so his wages would be very manageable. It would be a great deal. Turned 28 this year which isn't that bad really. Three year deal till he is 31. Sorted.

Always preferred him in midfield to Speed even though I know I'll get shot for that. Also chipped in with some crucial goals (Chelsea & Spurs away in the season we came 4th spring to mind). Best example of him for me was Everton away that year, he cleared a corner in his own six-yards out to Bellamy. Bellamy sped 50 yards to the edge of the Everton box to Robert, he took a touch to control and rolled it across...for Acuna who must have sprinted 80 yards to finish off the move in the last few minutes of the match.

Robert was very unselfish for that goal.

But, no. Speed was a better player, had an awful lot more about him.

Also Leeds of that same year away Acuna absolutely owned their midfield.

...but yeah Arevalo is 28... I thought there was a transfer policy?

That was actually the season before. You're right, though, he was absolutely brilliant that day. I remember him scoring right on half time.

Guest firetotheworks

It was a very nice choice to have though. Speed or Acuna. I don't think I ever complained when either were selected. Acuna was a very accomplished player.