Newcastle United v Aston Villa (the season starts here, maybe)

Ishmael

Clark looks capable is he starting ahead of Curtis Davies?

If so we really need to try and sort out a loan for him for the season.

we already have sol saylor kadar williamson and colo and at a push perch who can play cb its not something that should be high on the transfer list

we already have sol saylor kadar williamson and colo and at a push perch who can play cb its not something that should be high on the transfer list

Davies being better than the lot.

Sol is not fit, Taylor is injured and possibly leaving, Kadar is nowhere near prem level, Williamson i rate and Colo isn't even average prem quality on a good day.

Quite laughable that the Sheff Utd goal is being mentioned, it was a penalty, man.

The vast majority of his goals came against poor teams. He managed 13 league goals from open play and people seem to think he's a PL player, it's daft.

So it was. Those 13 goals came with only 19 starts though.

The vast majority of Carroll's goals came against poor teams. The vast majority of Nolan's came against poor teams. The vast majority of Xisco's (actually all of them) came against poor teams. Again, what point are you making? Why is Lovenkrands being criticised for only playing against poorer opposition when we spent the season in the Championship? :lol:

It's like asking why Darren Bent doesn't score many in Europe these days.

People want Lovenkrands in the team on the strength of him being able to get goals. He just wont get them in this league. And he certainly contributes nowt else, similar to Nolan in that respect.

So who is going to get goals and contribute that's on our books at the moment?

Shola, Xisco, Best and perhaps even Ranger will contribute more to overall play than Lovenkrands. They'll at least battle around for the ball.

None of the five will get goals at this level. Carroll is our best bet for goals, and he'll be lucky to get 10.

Sol is not fit, Taylor is injured and possibly leaving, Kadar is nowhere near prem level, Williamson i rate and Colo isn't even average prem quality on a good day.

One game and the criticism for Colo starts again?  :lol:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I don't think Colo's a bad player, but Williamson looks more competent so far

So far? :lol:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

So far? :lol:

:lol:

I'd have him ahead of Coloccini in the "pecking order" so to speak

Probably says more about the rest of our squad then. He's alright with the ball at his feet, him and Enrique absolutely owned that entire area of the pitch last year - no one could touch them. But i can't say i saw any passes last year that made me jump outta my seat.

Colo is more comfortable on the ball than anyone else in the team.

I agree, although he didn't look it at Old Trafford.

He needs a good couple of games to get his confidence back IMO, then we will see the Colo from last year.

I'd like to see him and Campbell play together but i hope Campbell can't get in the team.

I'm going off everything he's done so far in the prem. He hasn't proved anything...yet.

I'm not writing him off, there is talent there, just hidden, very deep inside him.

Guest prestonj1989

How anyone can say they would rather have Williamson over Colo is beyond me. Surely you can only be making such a statement based on ONE match. Colo was twice the player Williamson was throughout last season.

Bigger and better defenders have complete fools at Old Trafford, all he did wrong was misplace a pass in the first half. He was actually one of our better players, not that it's saying owt.

I fear for him against Carew though.

How anyone can say they would rather have Williamson over Colo is beyond me. Surely you can only be making such a statement based on ONE match. Colo was twice the player Williamson was throughout last season.

Yep. :thup:

Carew annoys the fuck out of me.

Remember that hat-trick a couple of years ago, he was absolutely wank that day and got three goals. Stop crosses going into the box and we might be ok.

Bigger and better defenders have complete fools at Old Trafford, all he did wrong was misplace a pass in the first half. He was actually one of our better players, not that it's saying owt.

I fear for him against Carew though.

You'd hope that Williamson will predominately dealing with Carew with Colo covering.

It's a huge test for Williamson, quite literally.

I really, really wish i could see the game cos it's going to be so interesting (you'd hope). I know it's early days but it'll really be a measure of where the current squad is at. Villa are a decent side but they're hardly what you'd define as 'stable'*, and are most definitely beatable on our own patch. Lose convincingly here could seriously shatter any confidence lingering about the place.

*managerless clubs simply can't be, even though some deal with the situation better than others

I don't think you can argue Colo is comfortable on the ball. It's how uncomfortable he is when the other team have the ball that's the problem. I expect him to make a complete cock of himself again this season.

Sounds like you just have it in for him. His only weaknesses are physical.

I like the fact Villa have brought through a couple of kids in this unstable time and they've excelled, its mental but its the most i've liked them in years; i just find (from the little i've seen) Albrighton exciting as fuk, wish he was ours and exicted to see him play tomorrow.

I don't think you can argue Colo is comfortable on the ball. It's how uncomfortable he is when the other team have the ball that's the problem. I expect him to make a complete cock of himself again this season.

Sounds like you just have it in for him. His only weaknesses are physical.

Concentration isn't up to scratch, positioning is suspect and pressure gets to him.