For Gods sake Mike!

Parky

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HS1spWnkn4o/SNsCHS5b8mI/AAAAAAAACko/D4mzfM601tw/s320/panic+button.jpg

I could sum up half the threads on the first page with this pic.

when does everyone panic, 31st august perhaps

That's actually not a bad idea, actually waiting to see whether or not we'll make more signings rather than automatically assume that we won't. :lol:

remember january 2009, that's exactly what happened - No signings and we got relegated

So?

no lessons seem to have been learnt then

The lesson from the fact that a year and a half ago, we signed two players who unfortunately turned out to be less than satisfactory is that we'll never make any good signings again?

The problem is that those two signings were made because Ashley refused to pay the money for our top targets, allegedly M'Bia and Veloso. The same happened with Victor Moses when we plumped for Leon Best as a cheap alternative. Can you honestly say this won't happen again in the next two weeks if the Arfa deal is allowed to die?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HS1spWnkn4o/SNsCHS5b8mI/AAAAAAAACko/D4mzfM601tw/s320/panic+button.jpg

That's actually not a bad idea, actually waiting to see whether or not we'll make more signings rather than automatically assume that we won't. :lol:

remember january 2009, that's exactly what happened - No signings and we got relegated

So?

The lesson from the fact that a year and a half ago, we signed two players who unfortunately turned out to be less than satisfactory is that we'll never make any good signings again?

those two signings were signed to provide cover for injury's they were not signed to go and improve the team!  this is what we need now, 2 signings that will automatically the team better and also help others i.e. a playmaker in midfield and a striker to assist carroll

That would be nice, I agree.

Back to the topic at hand: how does January 2009 prove to you beyond a doubt that we will not make any signings this window?

because when we need signings at most in the premiership this club has failed to deliver, and I think ashley doesn't have a clue about football

So basically you don't trust Mike Ashley. That's it.

Guest neesy111

i thought in january that ashley had learned his lesson and would start investing in the team and management to allow the club to get back to where it was before he tookover!

now i doubt that 99.9%, and will never ever trust the guy again!  the guy deserves no credit at all, considering what we've been through the last 2 years

So?

The problem is that those two signings were made because Ashley refused to pay the money for our top targets, allegedly M'Bia and Veloso. The same happened with Victor Moses when we plumped for Leon Best as a cheap alternative. Can you honestly say this won't happen again in the next two weeks if the Arfa deal is allowed to die?

No, I don't like our owner either and I realistically I think this transfer window will end with us getting a few signings at nominal cost who will boost numbers.

I haven't convinced myself that "we're not going to make any singings, our current squad is going to fail miserably, and we're nailed on to be relegated so we might as well all go top ourselves now" though.

Guest neesy111

So?

No, I don't like our owner either and I realistically I think this transfer window will end with us getting a few signings at nominal cost who will boost numbers.

I haven't convinced myself that "we're not going to make any singings, our current squad is going to fail miserably, and we're nailed on to be relegated so we might as well all go top ourselves now" though.

i'd be more concerned if people were just happy with the situation as it is, show's at least our fan's care and want this situation to improve

i thought in january that ashley had learned his lesson and would start investing in the team and management to allow the club to get back to where it was before he tookover!

now i doubt that 99.9%, and will never ever trust the guy again!  the guy deserves no credit at all, considering what we've been through the last 2 years

That's quite a swing in opinions, based on not very much at all.

So?

i'd be more concerned if people were just happy with the situation as it is, show's at least our fan's care and want this situation to improve

No, it shows that people are panicked and shitting in their pants.

There's a difference between being unhappy with the current situation and "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"

Guest neesy111

how?  i see nothing that suggest's he is backing the team and manager as things stand

Guest neesy111

So?

There's a difference between being unhappy with the current situation and "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"

this if NUFC were talking about, a club that has screwed it fans more over than probably any set in the country

how?  i see nothing that suggest's he is backing the team and manager as things stand

But how has that changed since January?

Jan = Mike is alreet, he's trying to invest.

August = Mike is a cunt, he's taking the piss.

???

Absolutely astonished that anyone can feel comfortable of this squad staying up to the point where we don't need to strengthen. Also did someone say this squad is significantly stronger than that which went down? Where?? Please don't say team spirit, this is the Premier League, not the pub darts team.

That always got me :lol:

So it's terrible and unforgivable when we have no fight and no team spirit, but when we do have some it doesn't make any difference?

That's weird.

It's nice to have fight and team spirit, but it doesn't act as a substitute for quality.

I agree to a certain extent, obviously it's better to have better players. But look at what teams like Stoke and Birmingham have done through organisation and hard work.

Organisation, hard work and £16m (+6 unknown fees) on 12 new players & 2 loans in the case of Stoke in their post-promotion season

Organisation, hard work and £21m on 8 new players & 2 loans in the case of Birmingham in their post-promotion season

Anyone spot the difference to what we're expecting?

So?

this if NUFC were talking about, a club that has screwed it fans more over than probably any set in the country

Fine, do it your way. I'd rather not assume that the club I support is doomed to failure on all counts.

Guest neesy111

But how has that changed since January?

Jan = Mike is alreet, he's trying to invest.

August = Mike is a cunt, he's taking the piss.

???

we've spent £1.2 million, depsite having since april to plan for this season!  i don't call that good preparation and investment

We're still a significantly better side than we were when we went down, and even then we only got relegated by a point.

Yes and no imo.

We look a bit more settled in defence, we look to have a decent pair of wingers this time around, and Carroll may be able to get 10+ goals this year if we're lucky.

However, Harper looks too easy to beat, we have a clear problem with the right back slot, our midfielders are all very slow, lacking in creativity, and none of them are good at protecting the back defense, and aside from Carroll, we're probably going to be hopeless in attack. Furthermore, if we get a couple of injuries to the likes of Jonas/Enrique/Carroll, we're probably f***ed.

What's also easy to forget is that the year we went down, we had a number of first teamers frequently injured. Martins, Beye, Barton, Enrique, Given/Zog sold mid way through, Viduka rarely fit, etc etc. If you took the same number of first teamers out of this team, for the same periods, how would we fare?

We're still a significantly better side than we were when we went down, and even then we only got relegated by a point.

Yes and no imo.

We look a bit more settled in defence, we look to have a decent pair of wingers this time around, and Carroll may be able to get 10+ goals this year if we're lucky.

However, Harper looks too easy to beat, we have a clear problem with the right back slot, our midfielders are all very slow, lacking in creativity, and none of them are good at protecting the back defense, and aside from Carroll, we're probably going to be hopeless in attack. Furthermore, if we get a couple of injuries to the likes of Jonas/Enrique/Carroll, we're probably f***ed.

It's a complete crapshot anyway. The team that got relegated was significantly better than the shit Roeder had to work with for the majority of 2006/2007.

If anything, I'd be more worried that the rest of the Premiership is a lot stronger this season.

Yes and no imo.

However, Harper looks too easy to beat, we have a clear problem with the right back slot, our midfielders are all very slow, lacking in creativity, and none of them are good at protecting the back defense, and aside from Carroll, we're probably going to be hopeless in attack. Furthermore, if we get a couple of injuries to the likes of Jonas/Enrique/Carroll, we're probably fucked.

Agree. But Carroll isn't our only striker who isn't hopeless imo. I still think that Lovenkrands will be able to do a job. He has some pace and showed some good movement last year as well.

Yes and no imo.

However, Harper looks too easy to beat, we have a clear problem with the right back slot, our midfielders are all very slow, lacking in creativity, and none of them are good at protecting the back defense, and aside from Carroll, we're probably going to be hopeless in attack. Furthermore, if we get a couple of injuries to the likes of Jonas/Enrique/Carroll, we're probably fucked.

True, but we had all of the those problems last time around. I'm not saying we're brilliant, I'm just saying we're better than before.

Bearing in mind that if we had managed to pick up a single point more over 38 games, we would have survived last time anyway. It could go wrong, but it could easily go fine.

Guest neesy111

Yes and no imo.

It's a complete crapshot anyway. The team that got relegated was significantly better than the shit Roeder had to work with for the majority of 2006/2007.

If anything, I'd be more worried that the rest of the Premiership is a lot stronger this season.

:facepalm:

that is absolute bollocks that

compare the midfield and forward's we had that season and it's far far better

So?

How does criticising Ashley's miserly approach in the transfer market equate to topping yourself? You should seek help if these thoughts are coming up for no reason.

I think you need to give the fans something to believe in but I think the club is slowly but surely disconnecting itself from the supporters.  If they continue to do that, the club will take a very long time to recover.  As supporters, we have always been able to cling on to the dream of what if and have some hope - if that does not exist then what is the point?  And Ashley will suffer because he will only damage his investment further.  If he thinks fans will turn up regardless on the basis of last season then he is very much mistaken.

We are fortunate in that as a newly promoted team, we have a far better base than most previously promoted teams.  A modest investment would guarantee survival.

Yes and no imo.

It's a complete crapshot anyway. The team that got relegated was significantly better than the s*** Roeder had to work with for the majority of 2006/2007.

:facepalm:

that is absolute bollocks that

compare the midfield and forward's we had that season and it's far far better

It's debatable. The relegated team was far stronger in defense and up front. The midfield was better at times but Parker, Dyer, and Emre were all injured for long spells and N'Zogbia was non-existent. We were filling the gaps with the likes of Matty Pattison. Milner was probably the best player in that team but everybody seemed to think he was shit anyway.

The keyword there being debatable, as it's obviously all "either/or" for you. Either we're signing some brilliant, unrealistic player or we're signing nobody at all. Either we're comfortably staying up or we're nailed on to be relegated. What you're saying is truth and what I'm saying is complete bollocks.

Why do I even bother.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

If this is what Toon fans turn into when the illusion fades, I think I'd prefer us to remain deluded.