Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

And everyone knows I'm wrong for wanting a better player in there? For not rating a purely defensive CM? OK. :lol:

You aren't changing my mind on this. It's somewhat flattering you seem to want to so strongly, but it's not happening.

And everyone knows I'm wrong for wanting a better player in there? For not rating a purely defensive CM? OK. :lol:

You aren't changing my mind on this. It's somewhat flattering you seem to want to so strongly, but it's not happening.

I'm not joining in on this but out of curiousity, did you rate Makelele?

Yeah. But Makelele was comfortable bringing the ball forward, and he had 5 supreme attacking players in front of him.

He did have better players around him, for sure. He never really brought the ball forward though iirc. When Madrid sold him they said they wouldn't miss him:

“We will not miss Makelele. His technique is average, he lacks the speed and skill to take the ball past opponents, and ninety percent of his distribution either goes backwards or sideways. He wasn’t a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres.”

They missed him a lot though!

I don't think Tiote has Makelele's positional intelligence and calmness but, there is a role for that type of player. It's just that when you have that type of player it's meant to give license to your other players to attack but Pardew doesn't have the stones to allow that.

Yeah. But Makelele was comfortable bringing the ball forward, and he had 5 supreme attacking players in front of him.

He did have better players around him, for sure. He never really brought the ball forward though iirc. When Madrid sold him they said they wouldn't miss him:

“We will not miss Makelele. His technique is average, he lacks the speed and skill to take the ball past opponents, and ninety percent of his distribution either goes backwards or sideways. He wasn’t a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres.”

I don't think Tiote has Makelele's positional intelligence and calmness but, there is a role for that type of player. It's just that when you have that type of player it's meant to give license to your other players to attack but Pardew doesn't have the stones to allow that.

Chelsea obviously played a transition game and used him as the main recycler of possession in the opponents half. If you're going to play that type of game you need a hassler in there. When you've got an uncreative midfield and attack to begin with I just think we're compounding the problem in playing a DM. There's a place for him against City and the like and I said that at the start of the season, but at home he'll hold us back more often than not.

Ronaldo: 'I don't rate them types of players, get over it'...

Lotus: 'Did you rate Makelele?'...

Ronaldo: 'Yeah'

:spit:

You do realise you only make yourself look like the utter fool you are with stuff like this?

Chelsea obviously played a transition game and used him as the main recycler of possession in the opponents half. If you're going to play that type of game you need a hassler in there. When you've got an uncreative midfield and attack to begin with I just think we're compounding the problem in playing a DM. There's a place for him against City and the like and I said that at the start of the season, but at home he'll hold us back more often than not.

I know what you mean re the uncreative offensive part of our game but I guess if we're not creative we need to be frugal at our end of the pitch. Kind of catch 22 really.

Thing is, we don't look quite as useful when Tiote's not playing (this season).

We should be more creative but that's squarely down to the coaching and preparation. We're not a pass and move team despite having enough players to be so.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Been saving that for a special occasion? Stick to what you know, eh? Like making absurd points about Alan Pardew and pretending to be something you're not on internet forums.

Utterly pathetic ;D

i don't understand really, is tiote still a "poor footballer" regardless of how the team is set up or do we now acknowledge he's good when utilised properly in the same way makelele was?  would makelele have been the same player he looked at chelsea playing in our team one year ago when they basically stood in straight lines not offering anyone the option for a pass?  would anyone for that matter, cabaye was a travesty in the same setup but not subject to the same level of criticism

it's almost like players are being judged on different criteria in order to suit your increasingly wayward position ronaldo

then again, it's not like anyone was saying this about tiote back in the depths of his shittest period of form like :whistle:

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

One of the rare times I've seen a player in the losing team awarded MoTM probably as a consolation for his wrongly ruled-out wonder goal. That said he'll have to take some shooting lessons from Cabaye and learn to hit it the ball with the inside of his foot (curling the ball ) instead of the front or outside of his foot. Interestingly the few times he crosses the ball of the wings, he does send in some beauties (with the inside of his foot again). Maybe a hidden 10+ goals a season potential there

He's not a poor footballer IMO, always has a v decent pass completion rate and always looks for the ball. He just had an off spell, as players do

it was quite a bad patch like, epic in fact, but his game has improved along with increased movement in the side - no coincidence

ronaldo was oft saying he'd been "worked out", true to a degree but imo it was as much our system that was worked out as just tiote - teams just used to press us 'cause they knew we were shit at retaining the ball, had no movement in midfield or decent outlets other than belting it to ba/cisse/shola

we're more fluid in midfield now, everyone moves more and looks for space to take the ball, shock horror suddenly tiote isn't quite as "worked out"

He's not a bad passer at all. He can be sloppy at times but he makes the most passes and his pass completion stats are pretty high (high 80's, low 90's).

He had a few nice interchanges with Anita.

And has been mentioned, he can put a decent cross-in.

The shooting on the right foot is an issue. The left? it's a beauty.

One of the rare times I've seen a player in the losing team awarded MoTM probably as a consolation for his wrongly ruled-out wonder goal. That said he'll have to take some shooting lessons from Cabaye and learn to hit it the ball with the inside of his foot (curling the ball ) instead of the front or outside of his foot. Interestingly the few times he crosses the ball of the wings, he does send in some beauties (with the inside of his foot again). Maybe a hidden 10+ goals a season potential there

He's hiding it pretty bloody well at the minute :lol:

Agreed on the crossing though, can remember a few assists from out on the left

He's not a bad passer at all. He can be sloppy at times but he makes the most passes and his pass completion stats are pretty high (high 80's, low 90's).

He had a few nice interchanges with Anita.

And has been mentioned, he can put a decent cross-in.

The shooting on the right foot is an issue. The left? it's a beauty.

Pretty sure he's right footed as well :lol:

Some people will take this seriously and agree with it.