Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest Roland

We (and The Mail) may have jumped the gun slightly.

"#NUFC stepping up pursuit of Cheick Tiote and hoping to complete deal next week. Mind you same was true with Ben Arfa. Nothing past post yet" Scott Wilson, Echo via Twitter

That's because of the working permit he needs.

Guest neesy111

How many defensive midfielders does a club need!  Negative signing as it shows were more concerned about not conceding than actually scoring enough goals to keep us up

I don't really want to bite, but you're talking nonsense, again!

We don't have a player capable of playing that role as things stand.

I'd imagine though that you'd find a way to find a negative in any signing we make.

And you talking nonsense aain ino

We have no defensive midfielders,

we have no creative midfielders as well

routledge,jonas hopefully ben arfa.

we're talking CM's though, we actually seem very light on wingers when you think about it

but we have wingers, we don't have decent central midfielders.

i agree, i just think with the squad sizes for this season we've got too many players who are CM/DM's, while we haven't got enough in terms of wingers or creativity

Guest neesy111

guys so what happens if routledge and jonas both get injured, do we prey that we can play 4 central midfielders across the midfield?

I'd imagine Hughton would play Vuckic and Raylor on the wings.

that must worry people?

neesy man, do you not realise how s*** our midfielders are? Would you really advocate Smith playing 30+ games this season?

This is our most important signing because it's finally addressing the thing that sent us down in the first place!

neesy man, do you not realise how s*** our midfielders are? Would you really advocate Smith playing 30+ games this season?

This is our most important signing because it's finally addressing the thing that sent us down in the first place!

Despite me slagging off the idea in your thread, any upgrade on Smith has to be a massive positive. :)

Guest neesy111

guys so what happens if routledge and jonas both get injured, do we prey that we can play 4 central midfielders across the midfield?

Have we moved on to wingers now? :lol:

what i'm saying is look at our midfield, too much emphasis on players who are CM/DM, while it seem's any backup for jonas/routledge has been completely ignored as things stand

My early thoughts are the Tiote signing is very positive for us. Whoever scouted him and got him in needs a pat on the back. Looks solid, has and engine and can pass. For the money you can't really be asking for more. I hope people give him time to settle, the pace of the PL takes a few months to get used to.

Despite me slagging off the idea in your thread, any upgrade on Smith has to be a massive positive. :)

It wasn't my thread ;)

I still think it's obvious we need this kind of player desperately though.

Guest neesy111

I agree on the upgrade, but it the lack of goals that sent us down really

that must worry people?

Raylor? yeah a little although he is capable of putting in the odd decent ball in.

Vuckic? No, not at all. He looks a very promising player and although the wing isn't his preferred position he wouldn't be the first young player coming through at a club and starting off in the position before moving more centrally.

My early thoughts are the Tiote signing is very positive for us. Whoever scouted him and got him in needs a pat on the back. Looks solid, has and engine and can pass. For the money you can't really be asking for more. I hope people give him time to settle, the pace of the PL takes a few months to get used to.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

I can't believe neesy is turning this into a negative, have a word.

I'm saying I think we have too many CM's/DM's and not enough backup for our wingers in the team

Bollocks was it. It was the fact we had a midfield who neither kept the ball nor offered any ounce of protection to the back four.

Our defence was made out to be our weakness, when really they were the best players in the team.

Guest neesy111

that must worry people?

Raylor? yeah a little although he is capable of putting in the odd decent ball in.

Vuckic? No, not at all. He looks a very promising player and although the wing isn't his preferred position he wouldn't be the first young player coming through at a club and starting off in the position before moving more centrally.

we need to treat vuckic with care, as putting him in too early could wreck the lad!

You don't score if you don't have the ball. We had players capable of scoring but the midfield was overrun so often they didn't get the chance. This also put more pressure on the defence and was a big reason why we shipped in soo many goals.

We went down because our midfield was bossed every game.

Guest neesy111

Bollocks was it. It was the fact we had a midfield who neither kept the ball nor offered any ounce of protection to the back four.

Our defence was made out to be our weakness, when really they were the best players in the team.

Your fucking clueless! Goals cost us, our midfield scored around 7 goals all season when you should be around 15 off them!  is that why steven taylor 1 defender scored nearly as many as them all season then?  also the lack of fire power to our strikers also was a major factor

I really don't understand why some people (NEESY!!!) can't appreciate this. Newcastle haven't had a dynamic central midfielder for what seems like an eternity now, and as you correctly state this was indeed our major problem the year of relegation. The midfield towards the end of that season was actually worse than it is now. Butt and Nolan would you believe. Teams just skipped around those two all game, in fact the other teams midfielders would just start bopmbing forward all the time and putting so much pressure on the defence because they knew that neither Nolan or Butt could counter on them and break forward at speed themselves. It was sickening to watch.

Your fucking clueless! Goals cost us, our midfield scored around 7 goals all season when you should be around 15 off them!  is that why steven taylor 1 defender scored nearly as many as them all season then?  also the lack of fire power to our strikers also was a major factor

Our midfield was constantly over run because they didn't have any legs at all. If we put someone in there who had energy, could keep the ball and play the most basic of passes we would have stayed up. Obviously there were other problems but our midfield were bummed in the face all season.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Word has the Toon only have 2 scouts on the books, one of which is full time.  :undecided: