Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Ranger shouldn't be here even if he were one of just three strikers - never mind five/six. He could turn out to be a really good player, and that's not gonna happen in the reserves or our bench. He needs to be out in League 1 - playing every week.

Ranger shouldn't be here even if he were one of just three strikers - never mind five/six. He could turn out to be a really good player, and that's not gonna happen in the reserves or our bench. He needs to be out in League 1 - playing every week.

Yep, but i've been saying that for months.

We need someone better than Lovenkrands up front too.

I think Carroll has the determination, tenacity and first touch to lead the line well. I'd be satisfied with a striker or a Ben Arfa 'trequartista' sort. But i completely agree, him and Lovenkrands won't score enough goals in this division. Tiote is 50% of the problem solved - another forward is absolutely imperative.

Cant wait to see this Tiote, didnt pay any attention to him in the world cup but if he is true to his description then it does give us a few options. As you said earlier, allowing Barton to get forward or play with a bit more freedom might get the best out of him. We're going to need a bit more quality up front though. If Hughton's lucky then a judicious use of Shola, Best, Lovenkrands and even Ranger might get him (in total) 15 goals over the season. If Carroll gets somewhere near that we might be ok. Canny big if in my eyes though, we have to hope that they find some surprising form.

We need a roaming tricky forward who can come deep/ attacking midfielder type.

AND a proper striker to shoulder some of the responsability, it really is asking too much for Carroll to carry the whole season.

We will get at least one of those imo.

'But'? Sorry - was it a race to say it or something...

'But'? Sorry - was it a race to say it or something...

Yeah and you lost.

Yorkies been saying it for decades man...and I've been saying it for hours...Stifler would've said it eons ago but he can't spell it.

Dutch media NOS (like our BBC) report the transfer fee as 8 million euros.

Seen much of him mate?

Yep. Excellent addition to our squad.

:indi:

Care to compile a short overview on his strengths and weaknesses? Pretty please.

Ok, here's what I know. Twente used him as a sort of 12th man last season in their championship season, meaning he was not a starter in most of their matches, but was often brought on to consolidate a small lead into a secured win or to impose more dominance in their midfield. He is very highly though off, and Twente fans consider him a very important figure in their surprise succeeded championship challenge last season. As you would expect, he is a very physically imposing midfielder, who is stronger in the defensive tasks than in attack. Twente fans sometimes criticize his tendency to walk with the ball rather than play it around quickly, but seeing as he is so strong on the ball he still very rarely loses it without a foul being made on him. From what I've seen personally he is much better with the ball than our current crop, although he is not one for killer passes or scoring many goals. If we use him to his strengths, sitting in front of the defense and let him win the ball and lay it off to some of our more creative (!) players he will be a very good addition for us. He has the physical attributes and the talent to succeed in the Premiership, that's for sure..

That means his ball retention under pressure is very good. Exactly the attributes a midfielder needs in the Premier and where most of our players are crap. Sounds like an excellent signing if this is true.

Guest malandro

Dutch media NOS (like our BBC) report the transfer fee as 8 million euros.

Seen much of him mate?

Yep. Excellent addition to our squad.

:indi:

Care to compile a short overview on his strengths and weaknesses? Pretty please.

Ok, here's what I know. Twente used him as a sort of 12th man last season in their championship season, meaning he was not a starter in most of their matches, but was often brought on to consolidate a small lead into a secured win or to impose more dominance in their midfield. He is very highly though off, and Twente fans consider him a very important figure in their surprise succeeded championship challenge last season. As you would expect, he is a very physically imposing midfielder, who is stronger in the defensive tasks than in attack. Twente fans sometimes criticize his tendency to walk with the ball rather than play it around quickly, but seeing as he is so strong on the ball he still very rarely loses it without a foul being made on him. From what I've seen personally he is much better with the ball than our current crop, although he is not one for killer passes or scoring many goals. If we use him to his strengths, sitting in front of the defense and let him win the ball and lay it off to some of our more creative (!) players he will be a very good addition for us. He has the physical attributes and the talent to succeed in the Premiership, that's for sure..

That means his ball retention under pressure is very good. Exactly the attributes a midfielder needs in the Premier and where most of our players are crap. Sounds like an excellent signing if this is true.

In the Eredivisie, perhaps. 

I think we're going a bit OTT with this signing. Chances are he's fairly average, not that average isn't a massive improvement on Smith..

Douglas Bader's an improvement on Smith tbh.

It's odd to think how he was once trailed as the next big thing when he played up front for Leeds.

Same goes for Alan Smith as well.

I think we're going a bit OTT with this signing. Chances are he's fairly average, not that average isn't a massive improvement on Smith..

Not really like, I mean I don't see anyone believing he's Essien.

It's odd to think how he was once trailed as the next big thing when he played up front for Leeds.

Same goes for Alan Smith as well.

alan smith didnt play up front for leeds as much as folk think. very often he played right midfieldish.

Guest geordiemuff

Fooking Hell Lads just you tube him , give me a right shock , this kid will end up snapping sum bugga within the first 3 games . He looks like he can handle himself ........

Guaranteed to get 5 yellow cards within the first 7 games !!!!

A little research... couldn't remember much about him from the World Cup.

This is what Zonal Marking said about him prior to the tournament.  No mention of his name in any of the post match analysises.

The identity of the third midfielder remains to be seen, but the most likely choice is Cheick Tiote, who spent most of the season as a substitute for Steve McClaren’s FC Twente team. He is a less physical player than his two midfield partners and is more of a ball-player, with the tendency to drift into wide midfield positions to receive the ball in space.

Ivory Coast’s uphill task just got even steeper

And fwiw, here's ZM's analysis of McClaren's FC Twente. The article doesn't mention Tiote by name, but this bit is interesting.

Although Twente have been successful because of their discipline and organisation, there is no dedicated holding player in the centre of midfield. Wout Brama and Theo Janssen are two combative players who dovetail well and sit infront of the back four when Twente are not in possession, whilst the silky, left-footed veteran Kenneth Perez acts as the link between midfield and attack, and has few defensive responsibilities.

The wide players are difficult to categorize as forwards, creative wingers or hard-working wide midfielders – their role is a combination of all three. When in possession they move high up the pitch against the opposition full-backs, and Twente regularly look to play diagonal balls, but when the opposition have the ball the wide players get through far more work than Perez, dropping deep and closing down.

McClaren’s system has been widely defined as a 4-3-3, but Twente’s shape is more complex than that, and depends entirely on whether they have the ball or not. If they do, it’s a 4-2-1-3, when they don’t it is more like a 4-2-3-1, or even a 4-4-1-1 – the latter would probably be more appropriate, because as mentioned earlier, the two central midfielders are not ‘holding’ players in the usual sense.

This has been a problem when Twente have travelled away to big sides – they were thrashed 0-3 at Ajax, deservedly lost 0-1 to AZ, and found themselves 0-3 down after thirty minutes at Werder Bremen in the Europa League, in a match they went onto lose 1-4.

What has Steve McClaren been doing right?

Guest Heneage

McClaren knew how fast the league was, Theo Janssen who was a real find and Wout Brama didn't need to be fast, they very much were allowed to just sit in the middle of the park, they were only deep lying in the sense they were the deepest of the midfield used to continue the play, like Germany with Schwein and Khadeira. He relied on the two wingers and when Tiote was included the third central midfielder having pace and a good rate of stamina, he used Perez when he wanted more creativity over midfield steel and stability. He used Stoch and Ruiz in the last season on the wings the former is incredibly fast, while his first season he used Elia now of Hamburg and Arnatuvoic.

The links between ourselves and them can be made, McClaren got the best out of N'Kufo by playing him as the figurehead (Much like Carroll) and knew that his legs were gone at 34/35, he got the wingers to work for him and supply chances.

Their strength was also goals from all over the pitch, not so much Tiote but Stoch got around 10 goals, Ruiz had 20+ I think which is the form of a striker not a wide player add to that Janssen is good from freekicks.

His basic principle was the Brazilian idea of Piano carrier and Piano players, you need both workers and creators, the fact some players were doing twice the work is as the article suggests why they were found out against better sides.

Guest secteur2010

Fucking excellent! :)