Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Is there a player in a top league with feet as slow as Cabaye's, that plays an advanced midfield position?

No, there isn't. Cabaye isn't suited to playing that high up the field. He'd do well in a partnership in which the other player is able to get forward.

He'll drag us down if he's a regular. He slows down play, gives away goals with his recklessness and is generally an accident waiting to happen in the games in which he's noticeable, ie not at home against the sides we should be beating.

I'd play him away at OT etc when we could do with another body in there to upset the opposition and generally spoil.

fixable qualities imo if he's coached properly...coach him to win the ball using his physique legally and when he's got the ball coach him to move it fast to one of our players who has made space for the short pass....and tell him to do nothing else whatsoever

i mean you could fix that in training ffs, repeat  drills of him winning the ball off someone then being put under immediate pressure by 2 players...anyone on here think they've even once tried to address it, even a little bit?

i agree i'd get rid in an ideal world, but to say that his current flaws can't be changed isn't right imo

Is there a player in a top league with feet as slow as Cabaye's, that plays an advanced midfield position?

No, there isn't. Cabaye isn't suited to playing that high up the field. He'd do well in a partnership in which the other player is able to get forward.

This is true. I would say he needs someone who plays pretty deep as well, to do some of his running for him. A Khedira, Mascherano... Tiote. Then another who aims to get forward - whether that's Marv or Siss. If it's just Cabaye and Siss/Marv - Cabaye has too much running to do.

This is true. I would say he needs someone who plays pretty deep as well, to do some of his running for him. A Khedira, Mascherano... Tiote. Then another who aims to get forward - whether that's Marv or Siss. If it's just Cabaye and Siss/Marv - Cabaye has too much running to do.

Would it not work to have an Anita (all things being equal and he sort of adapts to show the tackling/reading of game that he showed at Ajax) with Sissoko and Cabaye?

Would it not work to have an Anita (all things being equal and he sort of adapts to show the tackling/reading of game that he showed at Ajax) with Sissoko and Cabaye?

With no hint of irony - does he have the tackle/engine/presence to relieve the defensive pressure on Cabaye?

Think he's got the pace to get left to right and cover the space - snuffing out the danger before it happens, and then using his good passing ability to get it up field. We don't need to have a true on defensive midfielder, we need someone competent at covering when we lose the ball but also offers offensively as well, like you said, ability to start attacks.

:lol: that's what I'm trying to say dude, yes, I think he can do those things evidenced by his body of work over the years in Ajax and some of his best performances for us. I also alluded that I hope his better qualities shine as he adapts more to the league, his teammates and under a hopefully non toxic environment our squad were in all of last year.

:lol: that's what I'm trying to say dude, yes, I think he can do those things evidenced by his body of work over the years in Ajax and some of his best performances for us. I also alluded that I hope his better qualities shine as he adapts more to the league, his teammates and under a hopefully non toxic environment our squad were in all of last year.

But have you seen it for NUFC? In the Premiership? There's no doubt the Dutch league is less physical than the PL.

Really hoping for Anita to displace Tioté from the start this year.

Most modern midfielder we have. Needs to be the link he's perfect for. Him, Mapou and Colo would be very re-assuring when bringing it out from the back.

Aye and Lukaku could run through all 3 at ease.

I don't get the Anita hype on this board. At least Marveaux has shown what he's good at. Gouffran's looked handy. Mapou looked solid at fullback. Anita? Don't think he's had a genuine good game for us.

Really hoping for Anita to displace Tioté from the start this year.

Most modern midfielder we have. Needs to be the link he's perfect for. Him, Mapou and Colo would be very re-assuring when bringing it out from the back.

Aye and Lukaku could run through all 3 at ease.

I don't get the Anita hype on this board. At least Marveaux has shown what he's good at. Gouffran's looked handy. Mapou looked solid at fullback. Anita? Don't think he's had a genuine good game for us.

Ok.

We'd be far too vulnerable at set pieces. It's no good passing the ball around if the opposition are going to kill you in the air and play through you with ease.

I doubt Mapou would really concede that many more headers than Taylor. And that's basically the only difference to what we play now.

I admit there's a place for Tiote in certain games though, if he can recover something like form.

We'd be far too vulnerable at set pieces. It's no good passing the ball around if the opposition are going to kill you in the air and play through you with ease.

My word Ronaldo you are on a roll. These people lack basic logic.

"It's definitely our best option but it's not proven and we've never done it" ffs