Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Anita, as much as I'm not his biggest fan, is in another world when it comes to receiving, retaining and distributing the ball at the right time in the right place.

so that doesn't make tiote a footballer?  which is what you've said

bollocks

He's a defensive midfielder who can't be trusted to retain or distribute the ball. What's his purpose?

Anita, as much as I'm not his biggest fan, is in another world when it comes to receiving, retaining and distributing the ball at the right time in the right place.

so that doesn't make tiote a footballer?  which is what you've said

bollocks

He's a defensive midfielder who can't be trusted to retain or distribute the ball. What's his purpose?

just because you keep saying things doesn't make them indisputable facts as much as you'd like it to be the case :lol:

tiote was shit under pressure when the team was terrible and there was no-one, literally no-one showing for the ball...things have changed, i disagree completely that tiote is incapable of retaining possession as long as people around him are showing for the ball and our general play continues to put the other team on the back foot rather than inviting them onto us like we saw last year

Tiote's been turboshit for 18 months unfortunately. He keeps hold of the ball too long, he tries to do too much and more often than not when he does pass he puts other players under pressure because he doesn't get his head up and look for a man in space. He's tackling isn't even that much of an asset these days because he's too easily drawn into battles with particular players and just gives away a fuckload of freekicks.

Anita's not as physical, but his workrate and the pressure he puts players under means we don't need to have Tiote chucking himself into 50/50s challenges to win the ball back.

No brainer for me, like. Anita every day of the week.

Guest neesy111

Tiote's been turboshit for 18 months unfortunately. He keeps hold of the ball too long, he tries to do too much and more often than not when he does pass he puts other players under pressure because he doesn't get his head up and look for a man in space. He's tackling isn't even that much of an asset these days because he's too easily drawn into battles with particular players and just gives away a fuckload of freekicks.

Anita's not as physical, but his workrate and the pressure he puts players under means we don't need to have Tiote chucking himself into 50/50s challenges to win the ball back.

No brainer for me, like. Anita every day of the week.

:thup:

Clearly Anita is the best option, but I don't think Tiote is a write-off. In the right situations, and if he recovers a bit of form, he's a useful player. He's not terrible, he just needs to sharpen up.

He's not a write off, but he should be a firm second choice behind Anita. I worry Pardew will start to fuck around to try and accommodate him.

Clearly Anita is the best option, but I don't think Tiote is a write-off. In the right situations, and if he recovers a bit of form, he's a useful player. He's not terrible, he just needs to sharpen up.

He's not a write off, but he should be a firm second choice behind Anita. I worry Pardew will start to fuck around to try and accommodate him.

I share that worry, but the signs are quite good so far so I'm just hoping he holds his nerve.

agree with all

Think its a combination of being found out a bit and being coached into something he's not. Thing is when he came he kept things simple and that was why he was so effective. I remember him being hassled by the Arsenal midfield and still being neat and tidy with the ball so no reason he can't get back to that. No was should he be in the side ahead of Anita at the moment though, he deserves his 1st team place.

Think its a combination of being found out a bit and being coached into something he's not. Thing is when he came he kept things simple and that was why he was so effective. I remember him being hassled by the Arsenal midfield and still being neat and tidy with the ball so no reason he can't get back to that. No was should he be in the side ahead of Anita at the moment though, he deserves his 1st team place.

Is pretty much what I think. You can't just have physicality in your locker to cut the mustard as a starting top league midfielder. He can pass (simply) when under no real pressure / has his back to the opposition and can run / mark. That's really it. Somebody like Gattuso had so much more to his game apart from sole tenacity.

No wonder the Dutch fans thought we were idiots for treating him like a 'demi god' initially. Mind, to his credit, he played like a king vs Liverpool in Pardews first game and he's been decent against the other bigger sides too, but I think his days here should be ending soon. 

It's been mentioned above but I think that with players around him now actually moving into space and taking up "positive" positions he shouldn't have problems distributing the ball quickly. I wouldn't swap him for anita though until we are two goals up and need that defensive "force" in the middle, I prefer Anita's rythym and consistency of good passing.

I do feel for Tiote and some of his performances last year as I can remember me getting irate at the lack of movement around him and people "hiding".(can remember shouting at telly for other to pull their fingers out and offer him a pass option) really exacerbated his downfall. Hope he comes good and competes for that middle berth tbh... can only make us better for it!

Is pretty much what I think. You can't just have physicality in your locker to cut the mustard as a starting top league midfielder. He can pass (simply) when under no real pressure / has his back to the opposition and can run / mark. That's really it. Somebody like Gattuso had so much more to his game apart from sole tenacity.

No wonder the Dutch fans thought we were idiots for treating him like a 'demi god' initially. Mind, to his credit, he played like a king vs Liverpool in Pardews first game and he's been decent against the other bigger sides too, but I think his days here should be ending soon. 

Which Dutch fans?

No need to rewrite history; he was fantastic when he first came in, and I for one back him to refind that level.