Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Andy Gray's just went to town on him for the first two goals yesterday.

Just came to pretty much post that. His defensive line for the second goal was a bit embarrassing to be honest, but then he has missed a lot of football and it's definitely something Pardew can't have missed. Fingers crossed he has a word about that. Feel harsh for Williamson to be dropped, but he had to prove to Taylor he was first choice to get him to stay.

How is he to blame for the second goal?  He could've got across to Tevez quicker but Coloccini was the one marking him all game, he should've bust a gut to get goal side but he was just ball watching.  :undecided:

The first goal was essentially 2 v 1.

Made a name for himself from making a list of top players and crunching them. It will be interesting too see if Colo still has solid performances when he has to worry if his partner is holding a line or not.

I haven't seen it again since the match so I haven't seen the line tbh.

He was three or four yards behind the other three defenders who were holding a decent line. I doubt it was by design because it was very close, but on review, the fact is that had Taylor been in line as he should have, Tevez would have been offside. I don't know why Taylor was so deep in comparison to his teammates. It's not a case of 'blaming' Taylor for the goal, but it was poor defending from him.

Taylor and Colo both have this tendency to drop back in certain situations, which of course breaks up the defensive line. It's like they're too scared of letting an opponent get behind them, and they opt for a sweeper like position which allows them to see what's going on. Similarly, they often play safe by not committing themselves to a tackle, and back away so that they stay goalside. Both tendencies leave all the initiative with the opposition.

I don't think it's a question of ability. More like confidence and decisiveness. Williamson is probably less talented than either of them, but he's far more inclined to impose himself on a situation. Taylor tends to be more reactive. It's why I'd see Willo as our first choice centre back.

Taylor and Colo both have this tendency to drop back in certain situations, which of course breaks up the defensive line. It's like they're too scared of letting an opponent get behind them, and they opt for a sweeper like position which allows them to see what's going on. Similarly, they often play safe by not committing themselves to a tackle, and back away so that they stay goalside. Both tendencies leave all the initiative with the opposition.

I don't think it's a question of ability. More like confidence and decisiveness. Williamson is probably less talented than either of them, but he's far more inclined to impose himself on a situation. Taylor tends to be more reactive. It's why I'd see Willo as our first choice centre back.

:thup:

I'm no Taylor apologist but he was probably out of position for the first because he, like all of us, expected Krul to put his foot through it. He could have done better for it but it's down to Krul imo.

fair bit of s**** and spite in this thread like. not going to argue with folk who have decided how someone played before kick off.

Huh?

many people don't like him for non footballing reason and just decide before the games even kicked off about his performance.

Most of Cronky's posts these days are about why Mike Williamson should be in the team. :lol:

Get over it, man. He's a decent player but by no means worth this amount of conversation.

Who would be your centre back pairing partner for Coloccini, out of interest?

Coloccini has 2 1/2 years left on his current contract and is on huge wages to start with. There's no reason for him to be offered a new one at this point.

The point being that with both Saylor and Willo being offered very contracts is a pretty fair indication that Ashley sees them being the medium-term centre half partnership. The high wages you refer to, given what we have seen from Ashley, lead me to believe that he will be happy to let Colo wind down his contract and walk away from the club when it is finished.

I know Colo cops some flack here, but for me he's head and shoulders above Saylor and Willo. It's all very well not worrying about it until the time comes (after all, hopefully Kadar will be ready by then) but for me it's a depressing reminder of Ashley's "ambition".

The fact of the matter is, Coloccini earns a huge amount and so far hasn't really justified it.

If he ends this season like he's started it, we'll see a new offer on the table for him in the summer. It makes no business sense whatsoever to offer him one at this stage. Williamson will be on very low wages and has proven himself to be a decent squad player.