Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

mixed feelings, happy that he's signed because we need the cover, but i'm afraid that he'll be first choice. whatever the differences of opinion on him and williamson, i fail to see how anyone can argue we look a better team with taylor in the side.

Aye.

Saying that, I thought he looked ok yesterday, in particular the second half.

Interesting to see some figures...certainly shouldn't be anything above 40K a week! If it's above that amoutn we're overspending hell of a lot money on our CB's with an average ability considering Colo's on that 80-90K a week

Two things that worry me:

- The length of the contract

- The wages he is likely to be on

Not to mention the fact that I think he's the third best CB in the squad.

exactly, i can't see any way he's signed it under that pretence though. it's very very worrying because collocini for one is half the player with the wrong type of player next to him. williamson and collocini complement each other well, taylor's just so un-convincing. average in the air, average at reading the game, usually the defensive equivalent of smith, getting caught out of position and spending most of his time sliding around on his arse.

Good news. Decent defender, saves us having to buy someone.

We can't afford to buy as long as we have those high earning players on our wagebill anyway! Today to get rid of these over 50K a week players it's pretty much the only option wait their contract expire as they won't take a paycut even if it's possible to sell them. Would you really believe that Williamson(pretty much the same standard player than Taylor) is on a contract like 1/3 of Taylor's one? That's bad business IMO

I don't think he'd be on a contract that we can't afford.

But there's a fine line between what we can afford and what he's actually worth. He should be on wages similar to Williamson, but I'll bet he's on almost double.

We'd have got max £1.5m for him given that he would have been out of contract. It stuns me that anyone can think this is anything other than good news - we don't lose him for nowt (or next to nowt) and if we decide to flog, the buyer will have to pay a premium...

We can't afford to buy as long as we have those high earning players on our wagebill anyway! Today to get rid of these over 50K a week players it's pretty much the only option wait their contract expire as they won't take a paycut even if it's possible to sell them. Would you really believe that Williamson(pretty much the same standard player than Taylor) is on a contract like 1/3 of Taylor's one? That's bad business IMO

Do we know that? Seems very unlikely the Ashley regime would be willing to pay over the top wages when they're so reluctant to splash out.

Do we know that? Seems very unlikely the Ashley regime would be willing to pay over the top wages when they're so reluctant to splash out.

It also seems unlikely that Taylor would refuse to sign a contract, and then a couple of months down the line suddenly decide he wants to sign it.

Think it's good news. Can't see how we would replace him for the money Ashley is likely to release. Pardew clearly rates him, and I'd expect him to be his first choice. He kind of showed his hand with his selection yesterday. For me, Taylor does offer a physicality neither Colocinni or Williamson have, which helps us not being bullied in games like we were against Bolton, for example.

Guest toonlass

Pleased he has signed. Would have been crazy to lose him for peanuts in January or nothing in the summer. He definitely has a part to play in our squad.