Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

In difficult circumstances, with heaps of pressure, did himself very proud. Really, really pleased with that performance. Justified starting ahead of Ba today (who has so far looked a bit off the pace).

:clap: Well done Shola, sorry you didn't add to your strike rate!

So far being a unfortunate pre-season and 45 minutes of the season? :lol:

Yes. Not saying he's finished/permanently shite. Just that I'd prefer to ease him into things/not start him up front by himself in a derby while he's off the pace.

Misuse of the ':lol:' smiley, tbh.

No hint of a goal threat, as usual, but played pretty well.

Put a shift in for the team today, when he had a distinct lack of support. No goal threat mind, as Ronaldo said.

Aye, that about sums it up. He did his job.

:thup:

In difficult circumstances, with heaps of pressure, did himself very proud. Really, really pleased with that performance. Justified starting ahead of Ba today (who has so far looked a bit off the pace).

:clap: Well done Shola, sorry you didn't add to your strike rate!

So far being a unfortunate pre-season and 45 minutes of the season? :lol:

Yes. Not saying he's finished/permanently shite. Just that I'd prefer to ease him into things/not start him up front by himself in a derby while he's off the pace.

Misuse of the ':lol:' smiley, tbh.

Never misuse it :snod:

He is our best forward, has already shown he can do it in the league, just because he didn't do it against a side that keeps possesion against the majority of the league so got very little service doesn't mean he should be eased in, imo.

We should play our best players whenever we can, he has nothing to prove and no reason to "make up" for anything.

If you're in bad form in the present, you're in bad form. Nothing to do with your past record.

How is half a premier league game bad form in the present? We would swap round the team every game if we judged everyone on 45 minutes ???

Yes, but everyone else in the first team has come on since those games and got their fitness up. I don't say this to be critical of Demba Ba or write him off in any way. So just to clarify - we're talking about fitness and sharpness. Everyone else has demonstrated that (at least to some degree). I'm sure Ba will be fine, he just hasn't shown it on the pitch yet (or presumably to Pardew in training).

Seems like you're arguing for the sake of it.

Yes, but everyone else in the first team has come on since those games and got their fitness up. I don't say this to be critical of Demba Ba or write him off in any way. So just to clarify - we're talking about fitness and sharpness. Everyone else has demonstrated that (at least to some degree). I'm sure Ba will be fine, he just hasn't shown it on the pitch yet (or presumably to Pardew in training).

Seems like you're arguing for the sake of it.

Not at all, so Shola has looked sharp?

You may argue he has looked sharper than Ba, which I would disagree with but that's by the by but I find it ludicrous that we can opt for Shola based on him being better in pre-season/against Arsenal ahead of Ba who has been a prolific goalscorer his entire career.

If Shola had been tearing it up I would understand but he simply hasn't.

If that comes across as arguing for the sake of it I apologise but that's my honest opinion.

Whatever man. If you honestly believe Ba has looked anywhere near fit then there is no more for us to talk about!

Also, it's not ludicrous to put in someone of lower quality if he's fitter than his team mate. Might as well have started Shearer up front yesterday under that logic. ;) [Forgive the exaggeration, but I hope you see the underlying truth to starting someone who is sharp/playing well over someone who isn't sharp/not playing well even if the second person is a better player on their day].

My parting shot would be that (most of) Shola's biggest enemies on here recognised he was up for it yesterday and put in a good performance.  :dontknow: Justified his spot IMO. If Ba tears it up in training like a ferret on acid this coming week, then great - start him.

Don't completely agree with what you said but I don't think Shola and Ba look much different in terms of fitness/sharpness and Ba is the better player, however the "up for it" factor is a very good point.

Guest hobshobs

Put a shift in for the team today, when he had a distinct lack of support. No goal threat mind, as Ronaldo said.

I agree...................................... if putting a shift in = unable to control the ball, standing off the pitch to take a pass, constantly offside, slow, lazy and totally f***** useless. Yes indeed, the normal Shola shift. A complete and utter waste of space.