Kevin Keegan's switch to Toon remains England's most sensational transfer ever?

LooneyToonArmy

Guest johnson293

I don't remember too much about the Keegan transfer at the time, but I can understand how much of a coup it was (at the time) for a 2nd division club to sign the England captain, and such an iconic player.

However, for sensational Transfers involving Newcastle Utd, signing Alan Shearer has to be the biggest, and the one I remember most.

There we were signing the top English centre forward, for a 'World Record' transfer fee, and he was turning Man Utd down, and reported interest from Italy to join us.

I remember it was the main headline on the national news at the time, not just a Sports headline.

I don't remember too much about the Keegan transfer at the time, but I can understand how much of a coup it was (at the time) for a 2nd division club to sign the England captain, and such an iconic player.

However, for sensational Transfers involving Newcastle Utd, signing Alan Shearer has to be the biggest, and the one I remember most.

There we were signing the top English centre forward, for a 'World Record' transfer fee, and he was turning Man Utd down, and reported interest from Italy to join us.

I remember it was the main headline on the national news at the time, not just a Sports headline.

I disagree. Granted Shearer was a massive signing, and the top English centre forward, but he signed for us when we looked like being a whisker away from being a trophy winning side. Keegan had been crowned euro footballer of the year twice and signed for us when we were on our arse. Likewise it was national news. For me it was almost unbelievable to sign KK.

I disagree. Granted Shearer was a massive signing, and the top English centre forward, but he signed for us when we looked like being a whisker away from being a trophy winning side. Keegan had been crowned euro footballer of the year twice and signed for us when we were on our arse. Likewise it was national news. For me it was almost unbelievable to sign KK.

The biggest single thing that has happened here for me since my dad first took me in 1971.

Guest johnson293

Like I say, I dont remember much about the KK signing (was only 8 or 9), and don't doubt the impact it had at the time.

However, the other thing about the Shearer signing was that he was (at the time) in his prime, with years ahead of him.

Keegan on the other hand, while still a great footballer, was 31, and in the later years of his career - again, he still had the desired impact on the pitch, but we knew it wasn't gonna be for too long, due to his age. He was England captain at the time, but not for much longer after he joined us.

The biggest single thing that has happened here for me since my dad first took me in 1971.

could have phrased that a bit better couldn't you ?

could have phrased that a bit better couldn't you ?

:no:

I can remember the Keegan signing very well. It wasn't something you could have predicted, but I wasn't completely shocked either. Keegan had always made his own idiosyncratic choices of moves during his career, and we were the sort of dramatic challenge that would appeal to him.

Slightly off-topic, a player who I feel never received his due amount of credit for that promotion was Terry Mac. He absolutely worked his cods off, up and down the pitch every game. He gave everything, and played as big a part as anyone in raising our performances.