Kevin Keegan's switch to Toon remains England's most sensational transfer ever?

LooneyToonArmy

Wanted to post this on the KK thread but it was seemingly closed....well anyway, canny read....

The ultimate messiah! Never mind Craig Bellamy's move to Cardiff...Kevin Keegan's switch to Newcastle remains England's most sensational transfer EVER

Never mind Manchester City’s £125million outlay, the transfer which captured football fans’ imagination most this summer was Craig Bellamy’s move to Cardiff City.

Bellamy’s decision to shun the Premier League in favour of joining his hometown team was greeted with something approaching hysteria in south Wales, a mood which intensified when he scored on his Championship debut, a 4-0 win over Doncaster.

But for fans with longer memories, Bellamy’s switch, although remarkable, didn’t quite measure up to English football’s ultimate shock transfer: Kevin Keegan’s £100,000 move from Southampton to Newcastle in 1982.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1309319/Never-mind-Craig-Bellamy-Cardiff--Kevin-Keegan-Newcastle-remains-Englands-sensational-transfer.html?

Hanging around at the training ground doon Benwell, they all made time for you.. Keegan NEVER ignored anyone.

Getting smashed in the face by the ball hit by Keegan as I was leaning on the goalpost watching them train, he was mega concerned I was chuffed to bits.. once I came round mind.

:lol:

I was at the QPR game (West Stand Paddock) with my dad, as a 9 year old. I remember the gates being locked by 130pm - magical day. :coolsmiley:

qued outside Gallowgate all morning, looked like we wernt getting in, someone shouted thers a gate open at the benches, loads of usran up the alley, ended up getting in the leazes corner. Watched the rest of KKs time here in the west stand Paddocks.

Hanging around at the training ground doon Benwell, they all made time for you.. Keegan NEVER ignored anyone.

Getting smashed in the face by the ball hit by Keegan as I was leaning on the goalpost watching them train, he was mega concerned I was chuffed to bits.. once I came round mind.

It all makes sense now. ;)

It all makes sense now. ;)

man I seen it coming thought "ah it will bend" did it fk, sent me flying mud and blood alover lol Terry Mac carried me up to the sports hall

Keegan coming here was brilliant and it was during a time when I was already been going to all games home and away for a number of years.  The interest in the club went through the roof once he'd signed.  I was lucky enough to talk to him when he played for us and he was so easy to get on with, it was like talking to a long lost friend.

I read that and thought "surely Skirge can't be old enough to remember KK as a player". I never realised you were in your 30s, always thought you were a bairn (no offence).