Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Dyer and Speed complemented each other very well and gave us a superb, dynamic central partnership. We didn't miss Dyer that much during 02/03 due to the emergence of Jenas though. But Dyer was a much, much more intelligent footballer than Gutierrez and a much better passer of the ball as well. 

Dyer and Speed complemented each other very well and gave us a superb, dynamic central partnership. We didn't miss Dyer that much during 02/03 due to the emergence of Jenas though. But Dyer was a much, much more intelligent footballer than Gutierrez and a much better passer of the ball as well. 

Of course he was, but nonetheless, he served a similar function which was to get the ball and run with it. I'd like to see Dyer's goals and assists statistics though - because for a player who spent quite a few games out wide and up front, I'd hazard that they'd be very low.

Nolan doesn't even come close to our starting eleven from that era. Not even fucking close. Not even if you could guarantee his fitness for eleventy billion years. They're incomparable in terms of quality. Dyer was the much, much better player and there's no reasonable argument that can be against that.

If Dyer is inconsistent then what the fuck is Nolan? :lol:

Shows up one game with a goal, disappears for two, shows up with another goal, average next game, another goal, another disappearing act... hell, the reason this thread has gone 70 something pages in only 7 months is because of how polarising he is, and he's polarising for a mid-table team. Dyer was a full England international, heading to the WC and was polarising for a team playing in the Champions League.

I also don't get how Dyer was selfish. The only incident that comes to mind is the Boro away with the captain's armband but otherwise he always gave his best on the pitch, even if it sometimes wasn't enough. His lung-bursting runs are proof of that. With Nolan, when he's there, he's there. When he's not, he's completely invisible.

Dyer played 35 times in the league when we came 3rd and started 12 times in the Champions League when we got to the second round. He was absolutely a quality player, well worth the £25m Man Utd were rumoured to bid for him, if not for his injuries. I know that's a big if, but it shows Dyer's quality, which was absolutely greater than Nolan.

edit: and this £25m is not the £25m of today which doesn't even fetch you Carroll. The £25m back then would have made him the second most expensive transfer in Premier League history. That is the kind of money we were talking about for Kieron Dyer at his very best.

If he didn't have hamstrings made of paper, Dyer was on another planet to Nolan. Obviously that's theoretical!

Nolan uses his brain to make up for his physical limitations as much as possible. Sometimes it isn't quite enough, hence he goes missing very now and then.

Gonna be class when Stu comes in here. :lol:

Still think you're remembering Dyer as a better player than he was Apisith, though if I were trying to build a team I'd take a fit Dyer over Nolan any day.

I'd consider nearly one goal every two games for a midfielder is staggeringly consistent.

Comes down to the simple acknowledgement that you could never really rely on Dyer, that's okay when you've got quality and squad depth like Bobby's teams did you can afford to have somebody who only shows up from time to time but is brilliant when he does. When you have Alan Shearer as club captain you can afford to have a nutter you have to take care of. We could afford neither in the current team and Nolan's leadership is critical, which is why I would take him over Dyer in his prime for our current team in a heartbeat.

Interesting side note: While obviously Dyer was the better footballer, Nolan has already scored more league goals in two seasons than Dyer had in his entire NUFC career. If "the Championship doesn't count," He's still scored more Premiership goals than Dyer did in his last four years for us within two thirds of a season.

Who cares how many goals he scored? he´s job wasn't to do that and still he was quite good to do that. When you consiner that Nolan ONLY can score you got problams.

as said before, why even discuss this? Jonas vs Dyer would be better, but still, Dyer was much better.

Nolan seems to be a great fella. But he is no PL player.

Yeah, and Bellamy was a shit striker because he didn't score enough.

Actually, funnily enough, Bellamy averaged the same number of games per season playing for us as Dyer did. Until the Souness thing, of course.

It doesn't matter how much of a spoilt brat Dyer was. You look at the top teams and they've all got moaning cunts. Look at Arsenal, at Wilshere, at Fabregas, at Wenger himself. They're all moaning cunts, but they're world class. Dyer wasn't world class, but he was damn good; much better than Nolan was and is.

To even suggest that all Nolan does is score goals is just daft. He may not be as influential as Barton and Tiote in and out of possesion (when he doesn't score, obviosly) but he's hardly a poor footballer, not a great one mind, but thats where the goals come in.

If Nolan was technicaly gifted on the ball and could spray passes about for fun he'd be on Gerrard/Lampards level [/clichedcommparison]

THIRTY-THREE caps for England and people will take Kevin f***ing Nolan over him. Unbelievable.

Agreed, we know for a fact that only great players get double-digit England caps.

Emile Heskey 62, Phil Neville 59, Joe Cole 56, Gareth Barry 45, Shaun Wright Phillips 36, Wayne Bridge 36, Glen Johnson 31, Alan Smith 19.

A team with all of those players could almost beat Newcastle!

yeah when you doesn´t do anything else.

Absolutely ridiculous this "goals don't count" fetish some people seem to have. Right it's not as if goals decide who wins or anything. I would take a midfielder who does nothing but score fifteen goals a season GLADLY. So would about 15 other teams in the Premiership.

They're not everything, no, but the way some people try to bend over backwards to ignore them so they can look smart is just :mackems:

I'm not even going to mention the fact that the assumption that all Nolan does is score is a myth invented by people who are too lazy to actually watch matches and just apply their pre-determined stereotypes to every player. It's right up there with "Milner can't cross"

All those players, with the exception of the last two, were better players than Nolan during their peak. Which proves my point re: Dyer's caps.

There's no argument, man. Dyer gets 50 caps easily if he was fit for the past 4 years.

Why are people so desperate to defend Nolan? There's a reason he spent 10 years at Bolton and moved to us when we were at our lowest point for almost 20 years. You would have laughed if SBR wanted to buy this version of Nolan for our team back then. Laughed.

I guess I'm just an idiot for wanting a bit of respect for the man who's one of our best players, our best captain since Shearer, and pretty much the architect of our revival.

He is fucking 3rd top scorer in the Premiership and people are still calling him "not even Premiership standard." Lunacy.