Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

He doesn't have to lead the line, he just needs to be in and around the edge of the box- more importantly we shouldn't also be relying on him to get back every single time.

Nolan is better than the options we have at the moment, a good leader and contributor of goals considering our shitpile of a strikeforce. However in the long-term, even the medium-term if we want to progress he's right up their on the list that needs replacing. No decent side in Europe would accommodate him in their midfield.

Something he's already said himself :thup:

I like him but he's not good enough for next season and needs to be replaced, but i woulld still like to see him with us mind.

Agreed! He's scored 11 goals, but still he inhibits our game since the offensive distribution responsibility falls on our defensive midfielder. Without Barton, we suck. Judging from position played, it's Nolan who should take charge, but he doesn't.  The question that needs to be asked is: Could we have scored more goals without Nolan than with him. It's likely that a more movable and creative offensive midfielder could have created more goals for our other players than Nolan's 11. We have not the best attacking line. But tbf, the service they're getting is utter rubbish.  Loven is all about runs behind the defense line, however  he's not received one good through pass the whole season!

I like him but he's not good enough for next season and needs to be replaced, but i woulld still like to see him with us mind.

Agreed! He's scored 11 goals, but still he inhibits our game since the offensive distribution responsibility falls on our defensive midfielder. Without Barton, we suck. Judging from position played, it's Nolan who should take charge, but he doesn't.  The question that needs to be asked is: Could we have scored more goals without Nolan than with him. It's likely that a more movable and creative offensive midfielder could have created more goals for our other players than Nolan's 11. We have not the best attacking line. But tbf, the service they're getting is utter rubbish.  Loven is all about runs behind the defense line, however  he's not received one good through pass the whole season!

I think you'll find Lovenkrands problems are far greater than the quality of service he's received this season.

EDIT: the rest of your post is another dollop of cliched codswallop, once again served up in a unique PUnk77 format.

Agreed! He's scored 11 goals, but still he inhibits our game since the offensive distribution responsibility falls on our defensive midfielder. Without Barton, we suck. Judging from position played, it's Nolan who should take charge, but he doesn't.  The question that needs to be asked is: Could we have scored more goals without Nolan than with him. It's likely that a more movable and creative offensive midfielder could have created more goals for our other players than Nolan's 11. We have not the best attacking line. But tbf, the service they're getting is utter rubbish.  Loven is all about runs behind the defense line, however  he's not received one good through pass the whole season!

I think you'll find Lovenkrands problems are far greater than the quality of service he's received this season.

EDIT: the rest of your post is another dollop of cliched codswallop, once again served up in a unique PUnk77 format.

Loven has been rubbish, I agree. But his play is suffering tremendously since we have no midfielder that's able to  hit a through pass! The only exception is Carroll's third goal against Sunderland. Now we're forced playing with Nolan due to our injury situation. But his limitations on the pitch should be acknowledged. Yes he's our top scorer, but his play "steals" goals from other players.  It's almost like Bent: He bags plenty,  but the way he conducts himself on the pitch, makes it harder for other players than him to score goals. Last season, that resulted in Sunderland being highly dependent on Bent, since his movements and style of play precluded others from getting into good scoring positions. The same goes from Nolan. His inability to distribute the ball, makes it harder for everybody else since the attackers are not getting through balls and the ball is not distributed to the wide men where the opponent defense is not organized. It's only Barton crossing from right to left. Consequently Barton and Simpson are always playing against an established defense.  

Agreed! He's scored 11 goals, but still he inhibits our game since the offensive distribution responsibility falls on our defensive midfielder. Without Barton, we suck. Judging from position played, it's Nolan who should take charge, but he doesn't.  The question that needs to be asked is: Could we have scored more goals without Nolan than with him. It's likely that a more movable and creative offensive midfielder could have created more goals for our other players than Nolan's 11. We have not the best attacking line. But tbf, the service they're getting is utter rubbish.  Loven is all about runs behind the defense line, however  he's not received one good through pass the whole season!

Loven has been rubbish, I agree. But his play is suffering tremendously since we have no midfielder that's able to  hit a through pass! The only exception is Carroll's third goal against Sunderland. Now we're forced playing with Nolan due to our injury situation. But his limitations on the pitch should be acknowledged. Yes he's our top scorer, but his play "steals" goals from other players.  It's almost like Bent: He bags plenty,  but the way he conducts himself on the pitch, makes it harder for other players than him to score goals. Last season, that resulted in Sunderland being highly dependent on Bent, since his movements and style of play precluded others from getting into good scoring positions. The same goes from Nolan. His inability to distribute the ball, makes it harder for everybody else since the attackers are not getting through balls and the ball is not distributed to the wide men where the opponent defense is not organized. It's only Barton crossing from right to left. Consequently Barton and Simpson are always playing against an established defense.

a) Wrong. Even with all of our players fit (Ben Arfa excluded) Nolan is still in the starting XI.

b) Wrong. Nolan gets himself into goal-scoring positions, that is how teams survive in this league, by having someone with the ability to get into the space between defenders and converting those chances into goals. Owen had a couple of months where he displayed these qualities, when he didn't, there was no-one else in the team ready to step up and score.

c) Utter tosh. Please watch a Newcastle game before using this "inability to distribute the ball", he was one of the players yesterday, when we got around the Stoke box, who was looking to try and find a cute pass for either of the strikers. The lack of movement from Lovenkrands and Shola (not as culpable) didn't help things. When he didn't have the ball, he was trying to make space for someone else to play him in (see the movement for his cut back in the first half which Stoke deflected over the bar for a corner). He can't do both things all of the time. Similarly, he's neither Xavi or Torres at either job, but good enough for the level we're currently at.

d) What the hell does this even mean? :facepalm:

Loven has been rubbish, I agree. But his play is suffering tremendously since we have no midfielder that's able to  hit a through pass! The only exception is Carroll's third goal against Sunderland. Now we're forced playing with Nolan due to our injury situation. But his limitations on the pitch should be acknowledged. Yes he's our top scorer, but his play "steals" goals from other players.  It's almost like Bent: He bags plenty,  but the way he conducts himself on the pitch, makes it harder for other players than him to score goals. Last season, that resulted in Sunderland being highly dependent on Bent, since his movements and style of play precluded others from getting into good scoring positions. The same goes from Nolan. His inability to distribute the ball, makes it harder for everybody else since the attackers are not getting through balls and the ball is not distributed to the wide men where the opponent defense is not organized. It's only Barton crossing from right to left. Consequently Barton and Simpson are always playing against an established defense.

a) Wrong. Even with all of our players fit (Ben Arfa excluded) Nolan is still in the starting XI.

b) Wrong. Nolan gets himself into goal-scoring positions, that is how teams survive in this league, by having someone with the ability to get into the space between defenders and converting those chances into goals. Owen had a couple of months where he displayed these qualities, when he didn't, there was no-one else in the team ready to step up and score.

c) Utter tosh. Please watch a Newcastle game before using this "inability to distribute the ball", he was one of the players yesterday, when we got around the Stoke box, who was looking to try and find a cute pass for either of the strikers. The lack of movement from Lovenkrands and Shola (not as culpable) didn't help things. When he didn't have the ball, he was trying to make space for someone else to play him in (see the movement for his cut back in the first half which Stoke deflected over the bar for a corner). He can't do both things all of the time. Similarly, he's neither Xavi or Torres at either job, but good enough for the level we're currently at.

d) What the hell does this even mean? :facepalm:

Wait im going to get some  :happy1:

NEWCASTLE have opened talks with club captain Kevin Nolan about a new four-year deal.

The 28-year-old still has two years left on his existing contract at St James' Park.

But Toon chiefs want to offer their influential midfielder an extension that would keep him on Tyneside into the twilight of his career.

Liverpool-born Nolan moved from Bolton to the North East in the 2009 January transfer window for £4million.

And since Newcastle were relegated at the end of that season, the Scouser has proved to be a hugely influential figure, bagging an impressive 29 goals.

Nolan is keen to secure a long-term deal to stay with the Magpies and boss Alan Pardew feels exactly the same.

Talks have started on a deal that would see Nolan add a further two years to his current contract, which runs out in 2013, with the possibility of a further year added on top of that as well.

Accounts due to be released next week will reveal that Newcastle have reduced their debts to about £17m as they bounce back from relegation.

Their debts are now one of the lowest in the Premier League.

Meanwhile, the Toon's French midfielder Hatem Ben Arfa, 24, will return to Tyneside next week after completing his rehabilitation back home.

Ben Arfa has fully recovered from the horrific double leg break he suffered following a challenge by Manchester City midfielder Nigel de Jong at Eastlands in October.

The Newcastle star was due to be back in action in February but still hopes to play this season.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/nol_sport/1251424/Newcastle-open-talks-with-Kevin-Nolan-over-new-contract.html

He's had a great season but I'm not sure this is a particularly good idea. It's not like we're going to be guaranteeing his value either.

The two years he has left is about right IMO.

Guest Stephen927

So the fat Kevin Nolan can have a new 4-year deal, while Joey Barton can only have a 2-year deal? What a fucking joke.

News of the World.

Isn't Barton 2 years older?

Barton moves like he's 10 years younger.

Can't argue with that, but I can understand the precaution with Barton. In the summer the majorty would have been happy to shift him for a minimal fee. He has had a brilliant season but he is still a risk.

I still forget that Nolan's 28. A new four-year-deal is fair enough imo, even though i think it'll be a bit of a travesty if we haven't replaced him as an automatic starter within two of them.

He's been vital this season, and i think he'll be important next season to. It really does just depend on how long his legs hold out after that. The stuff about him being 'fat' is obviously bollocks, but it doesn't take a genius to see that he doesn't have the best pace and stamina around. If he starts to lose that he'll start to lose his movement and positioning aswell - which is what he's all about (from a purely technical perspective).

Maybe he'll improve it - who knows? Barton's got superb stamina for a thirty-year-old.

But i'm happy having Nolan here, as Captain, to welcome new players into the squad for the next four years. I don't think it'll do any harm.