Everton v Newcastle United - Sat 18th September (3pm)

Skeletor

On the one hand I get why everyone is excited about Tiote and HBA. New signings, exciting prospects, coupled with some disappointment with Nolan and Smith after the Blackpool mess; HOWEVER, we don't know how they are settling in, how well they are training, what tactics CH wants to employ away from home.

I am just as keen to see Tiote and Ben Arfa as anyone but I will not be gutted if they don't walk in to the team.

*of course, at half time I will be screaming for them if we are doing poorly!!*

On the one hand I get why everyone is excited about Tiote and HBA. New signings, exciting prospects, coupled with some disappointment with Nolan and Smith after the Blackpool mess; HOWEVER, we don't know how they are settling in, how well they are training, what tactics CH wants to employ away from home.

I am just as keen to see Tiote and Ben Arfa as anyone but I will not be gutted if they don't walk in to the team.

The best team should be played.

Ben Arfa is an improvement on Nolan, Tiote is an improvement on Smith. Therefore the changes should be made. Infact it might act to give Chrissy's Captains a kick up the fucking arse.

Ben Arfa is an improvement on Nolan, Tiote is an improvement on Smith. Therefore the changes should be made. Infact it might act to give Chrissy's Captains a kick up the fucking arse.

I haven't a clue whether they are improvements or not.

Ben Arfa had a 15 minute cameo in a team chasing the game and changing tactics with each substitution.

Tiote i've never heard of and never seen play (or if i have seen him at the WC i can't remember, not even sure i watched any Ivory Coast games tbh).

Ben Arfa is an improvement on Nolan, Tiote is an improvement on Smith. Therefore the changes should be made. Infact it might act to give Chrissy's Captains a kick up the f***ing arse.

I am not disagreeing with you. My point is, what is the best team for the situation? That is where a Manager earns his corn. The Everton midfield (not that I am an expert) is a blood and guts affair and maybe, just maybe, it is not the time to blood (literally) the new boys.

I think Hughton has some tough decisions to make and I will be interested to see what he does. Which team, formation and tactics -  against a team that fought back from 2 goals down against ManU but still only have 2 points from 4 matches.

Ben Arfa is an improvement on Nolan, Tiote is an improvement on Smith. Therefore the changes should be made. Infact it might act to give Chrissy's Captains a kick up the f***ing arse.

I haven't a clue whether they are improvements or not.

Ben Arfa had a 15 minute cameo in a team chasing the game and changing tactics with each substitution.

Tiote i've never heard of and never seen play (or if i have seen him at the WC i can't remember, not even sure i watched any Ivory Coast games tbh).

Ben Arfa is a French international, with pace, skill, natural ball control that NONE of our first team possess. He's absolutely streets ahead of Nolan, simply because of the fact he can run - the rest is just a bonus.

Smith is f***ing s***. Tiote is a regular for his country. I've not seen that much of Tiote but I'd put everything I own on him being a much, much better footballer than Smith. Smith is basically a non-entity anyway, he serves absolutely no purpose in our team so whoever comes in to replace him would be an upgrade.

I am not disagreeing with you. My point is, what is the best team for the situation? That is where a Manager earns his corn. The Everton midfield (not that I am an expert) is a blood and guts affair and maybe, just maybe, it is not the time to blood (literally) the new boys.

I think Hughton has some tough decisions to make and I will be interested to see what he does. Which team, formation and tactics -  against a team that fought back from 2 goals down against ManU but still only have 2 points from 4 matches.

Everton is not a blood and guts midfield at all. Infact they're one of the best 'footballing' midfields in the country. They will almost certainly dominate the ball, so if we can have some pace on the break it will be our best chance.

Surely you just pick your 12 best players...

Where does the twelfth guy line up?

:blush:

Have no idea why I did that..... :angry:  :aww:

Just listen to Sewelly instead as hes not a moron and I pretty much agree with everything hes said. We have nothing tolose by playing them as the current 'system' is dross. It's over complicated by tactical buzzwords. Pick the best 11 (!) you can.

Ben Arfa is a French international, with pace, skill, natural ball control that NONE of our first team possess. He's absolutely streets ahead of Nolan, simply because of the fact he can run - the rest is just a bonus.

Smith is f***ing s***. Tiote is a regular for his country. I've not seen that much of Tiote but I'd put everything I own on him being a much, much better footballer than Smith. Smith is basically a non-entity anyway, he serves absolutely no purpose in our team so whoever comes in to replace him would be an upgrade.

This is an interesting debate. We have seen Internationals come in and when they are sh*t they the usual excuses about them not being suited for the English game are trotted out.

Ben Arfa is a French International - TWO starts and a handful of sub appearances in friendlies technically makes him a French International but is not a ringing endorsement.

Tiote is not really known to me. To say he is a regular for his country does seem to be overstating it though. He started the three WC matches but had not played for the team prior to that. I will wait and see and hope for good things!!

This is an interesting debate. We have seen Internationals come in and when they are sh*t they the usual excuses about them not being suited for the English game are trotted out.

Ben Arfa is a French International - TWO starts and a handful of sub appearances in friendlies technically makes him a French International but is not a ringing endorsement.

Tiote is not really known to me. To say he is a regular for his country does seem to be overstating it though. He started the three WC matches but had not played for the team prior to that. I will wait and see and hope for good things!!

Bassedas was an Argentinian INternational.

Nacho Gonzalez was a Urugauy International who also played at the World Cup.

Xisco is a Spanish U21 International.

Having seen little if anything of Tiote or Ben Arfa people are hyping them up as the next great thing and using irrational hatred of Nolan and Smith to do so.

I've seen enough of Ben Arfa to know he'd be a massive upgrade to our team. He's a very talented player who at one stage was dubbed the future of French football, whether he hasn't reached them heights or not is irrelevant because we're talking about his abilities relative to our squad. He's far more talented than what we have and we're actually pretty lucky to have him here because of his acrimonious off the field problems. If he was a model pro he wouldn't be anywhere near this club at this stage of his career.

Just because past foreign players have not lived up to expectations at this club is a moot point, they have absolutely nothing to do with this player. People on here who HAVE seen him play know how good he is. It's not even a case of overhyping him, it's just the fact he's definitely better than the alternatives.

The hatred of Smith and Nolan is not irrational by the way. They're awful, it's perfectly rational to want poor players replaced. Especially Smith, who was made out to be a liability in the Championship. Yet now he's okay for the Premier League? Get away man.

I've seen enough of Ben Arfa to know he'd be a massive upgrade to our team. He's a very talented player who at one stage was dubbed the future of French football, whether he hasn't reached them heights or not is irrelevant because we're talking about his abilities relative to our squad. He's far more talented than what we have and we're actually pretty lucky to have him here because of his acrimonious off the field problems. If he was a model pro he wouldn't be anywhere near this club at this stage of his career.

Just because past foreign players have not lived up to expectations at this club is a moot point, they have absolutely nothing to do with this player. People on here who HAVE seen him play know how good he is. It's not even a case of overhyping him, it's just the fact he's definitely better than the alternatives.

The hatred of Smith and Nolan is not irrational by the way. They're awful, it's perfectly rational to want poor players replaced/ Especially Smith, who was made out to be a liability in the Championship. Yet now he's okay for the Premier League? Get away man.

Just typed a load of stuff that basically agreed. The likes of Smith and Nolan are the footballing doldrums. If the times not right now then lord I dont know when

Having seen little if anything of Tiote or Ben Arfa people are hyping them up as the next great thing and using irrational hatred of Nolan and Smith to do so.

I doubt many of our fans really hate Smith or Nolan, that would be irrational as they are both decent people who were brought to the club to do a job, even if they aren't up to it.  That said, not wanting either to play for us is anything but irrational as both are holding us back when they play the way they did on Saturday gone.  If you look past the goals Nolan scored in the Championship he's a poor player who rarely contributes to our team and with him and Smith we're playing with 9 men for much of the game.

According to Real Radio Hughton has said that he knows what went wrong against Blackpool, if that is true then Nolan and Smith will not be playing against Everton.

I doubt many of our fans really hate Smith or Nolan, that would be irrational as they are both decent people who were brought to the club to do a job, even if they aren't up to it.  That said, not wanting either to play for us is anything but irrational as both are holding us back when they play the way they did on Saturday gone.  If you look past the goals Nolan scored in the Championship he's a poor player who rarely contributes to our team and with him and Smith we're playing with 9 men for much of the game.

According to Real Radio Hughton has said that he knows what went wrong against Blackpool, if that is true then Nolan and Smith will not be playing against Everton.

I really really hope so but i really really doubt he wil drop both of them. Wishfull thinking indeed.

Like many i'd go with the following against Everton.

Harper

Taylor  Willy  Colo  Enrique

Rout  *Guthrie/Barton/Tiote  Jonas

Ben Arfa 

Carroll   

* 2 of Guthrie/Barton/Tiote

Playing with that forward line and midfield makes us far more of a threat to opposition defences.

Krul

Campbell

Perch

1 of Barton, Guthrie, Tiote

Nolan

Ranger/Lovenkrands

Ameobi

Does anyone think Guthrie may be higher in the pecking order than Smith? He was last season, just wondering if things have changed now.

He should be like, he was massive last season for us.

I still think he's a decent Premier League player, and having somebody with legs alongside him (hopefully Tiote can do this) he is a decent option.

Does anyone think Guthrie may be higher in the pecking order than Smith? He was last season, just wondering if things have changed now.

He should be like, he was massive last season for us.

I still think he's a decent Premier League player, and having somebody with legs alongside him (hopefully Tiote can do this) he is a decent option.

This is what I think too but I can't help but think his injury has put him way down the pecking order in Hughton's mind now.

I've got a feeling we'll see 4-3-3 with Tiote, Barton and Nolan as a 3 man midfield with Jonas and Ben Arfa just off Carroll.

Change Nolan for Guthrie (when fit) i am all in.    :thup:

But we need Jonas to track back quite a lot to not expose our wing backs to much tbh